Cheapest possible way to build small dwelling…

ncc1701d

14 hours ago, driver52 said:

@ncc1701dhave you had a quote for a swimming pool?

Looks like an excellent job so far and with prices that cheap it looks even more appealing to leave Europe and buy a pushbike in Thailand ????

No... they are really simple people who can't even figure out how to use a rice cooker without electrocuting themselves. I dread to think what would happen if I put in a swimming pool. The solar panel idea is good - I just don't have the cash to be doing things like that at the moment. I can't imagine their electricity bills will be too expensive. They have one rice cooker and some LED lights. Before they had literally nothing. Their "rice cooker" was an outside fire pit with a big pot. 

My next main concern is their drinking water. I think it can be delivered pretty cheaply.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, driver52 said:

I understand Thailand is 240volt? so that RCCB at 50amps can pull 12,000 watts! ie totally crazy and if you only had a 10amp breaker you could still run 2,400 watts, which would still be enough to run a kettle and a microwave simultaneously

Not in the least crazy, but inaccurate     Bangkok (MEA) is 230v nominal the rest of the country (PEA) is 220v nominal. Yes a kettle at (1,500W) and a smaller microwave (1,100W) though at 2,600W will probably not trip a 10A MCB at 118% of load so a 16A or larger is recommended. 

I can guess, with reasonable confidence, at the supply voltage that you are used to, but even in the USA a house supply is usually at or over 100A so where is the difference?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I can guess, with reasonable confidence, at the supply voltage that you are used to, but even in the USA a house supply is usually at or over 100A so where is the difference?

well interestingly in France you can choose the kVA that gets delivered to your house, starting at 3

With a 6 delivery I have seen a peek of 6.8 and it didn't cut out lol

19 minutes ago, driver52 said:

well interestingly in France you can choose the kVA that gets delivered to your house, starting at 3

With a 6 delivery I have seen a peek of 6.8 and it didn't cut out lol

Having no idea what 1 kVA  is so I have no context to understand your reference.

However with a 5/15A meter it’s not uncommon to see a power draw of 28A so a rating of 6 drawing 6.8 would probably be normal and you could probably get 9 or higher with no problem 

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Having no idea what 1 kVA  is so I have no context to understand your reference

just think of it as 1kW......they describe it as kVA because apparently that's the 'potential to deliver a kilowatt' but to all intents and purposes it's the same

So can you choose different levels in Thailand too?

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Yes 

5/15

15/45

30/100

15/45 3 phase

30/100 3 phase

are the most common 

but 30/100 and 30/100 3 phase may not be available everywhere. 

The vast majority of us have a 15/45 on a 50A breaker, good for 11kW, probably surging to 15kW or so without the incomer opening. 

2 hours ago, driver52 said:

they describe it as kVA because apparently that's the 'potential to deliver a kilowatt' but to all intents and purposes it's the same

Actually it looks as if it’s apparent power, if so then it’s very much not the same and becoming less and less the same. All you need to do is put some LEDs on a meter that shows the power factor and you will see how badly different they are and so much more you would be charged if paying for apparent rather than real power. AAAC1CBC-3E5F-4644-A563-A44929D5C64A.thumb.jpeg.e07f4621c1cb0359395885f30e8297a0.jpegA4E26307-991A-4E98-B293-5288AA22FEEB.thumb.jpeg.2b2e80f21d688d966cd48f9e3887bf3e.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Actually it looks as if it’s apparent power, if so then it’s very much not the same and becoming less and less the same. All you need to do is put some LEDs on a meter that shows the power factor and you will see how badly different they are and so much more you would be charged if paying for apparent rather than real power.

yeah interesting......thing is you can't do anything about it here, you just pay less of a 'monthly charge' for the lower capacities

France is turning into a complete fascist state, they have these Linky meters which monitor everything you do and apparently can even tell when you switch on a light bulb, yikes!

what exactly does this 5/15 mean? what's the monthly charge and is it cheaper than having a 15/45?

cheers

3 hours ago, driver52 said:

what exactly does this 5/15 mean? what's the monthly charge and is it cheaper than having a 15/45?

cheers

It’s the range that the meter is guaranteed to be accurate. The higher numbers are the theoretical maximum the meter can supply, however they can easily supply 50% over the rating all day long but are likely to read higher than the actual usage. 

yes the charge is slightly higher. There are different tariffs and someone on the 5/15 meter who regularly uses very little electricity pays nothing at all. The free rate is somewhere between 50 and 150 kilowatts per month. This level has changed a couple of times in the last 18 months. 
you will be on 1.1.2
Electricity Tariffs Nov61.pdf

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

As long as the area doesn't flood, a slab with square steel beam "timber frame" style construction will save on the overall costs (IMO)  A roof typically costs more to build and having the roof and walls stood up in one day, saves a ton of time. Easier to insulate and then you'll save money on electrical expenses. IMO, it is easier to seal against insects & other vermin as well.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 10:39 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

It is from Sir Henry Rider Haggard’s KBE  book She published in 1887 that has been made into 10 movies from 1899 to 2001 . Your education is sadly lacking, sir. 

Also used extensively by fictional barrister Horace Rumpole in the Rumpole of the Bailey books and the TV series with Leo McKern.

Almost every village has villagers capable of constructing a building.  You aren't going to get first world construction quality, but you also aren't going to pay first world prices.

I put up a metal framed, cement block guest house for about 100K for materials and labor. I have one villager who has become a family friend over the last decade who does the 'contracting.'  There's not signed contracts.  Word of month and a hand-shake (wai) and approximate cost estimates.  He buys the materials and puts together the work crews most of whom we also know.
If you want contracts with "professional" individual who call themselves "builders' you're going to pay a premium and not necessarily gain any quality. 
You need to monitor the work yourself and stay on friendly terms with whoever is acting as lead contractor.
There is a lot of trust involved here.  But if you are part of a village, if you know people and they know you, it will go much better.  So - how friendly are you with the surrounding Thai villagers?
That's my take.  I've taken a cement hovel my wife owed, bought the land surrounding it, and created a "home" that we both feel very comfortable living in.  However, some farang who is used to farang houses and picture perfect architecture probably would not be comfortable.  I've seen some the the monstrosities that were built by farangs who used to live in our valley.  Lord, I don't need or want a chateau.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, Thais are use to building cement block houses. 
If it was me I'd take the simplest approach using common building materials and standard Thai construction practices.  Imho you're asking for a problem if you want to build a dome.  But?  Good luck.

• Thanks 1

If you are a novice this could be tricky.A builder friend for advice would be nice.

1 ,check the lie of the land and make the finished floor level at least 18 inches higher than your highest point.

2,Your 4 corner columns are all the buildings strength so make sure they have decent foundations.

3,Block and render inbetween with roofing sheets overhanging maybe 3 ft.

A very cheap and easy build but you need a builder.

Hope you succeed,you are a good man.

• Thanks 1

On 5/11/2021 at 9:12 AM, jvs said:

who can build a dome?

That's going to be difficult here.  If they do build something like that theres a chance of collapse if they've never done it.

A basic Thai structure would be best and cheapest.  

Very comendable of you!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

There are some great  things pop up on you  tube. Stillts, lean to. Swiss chalet,  built in a couple of days..plus there  are eco pod options  that can be moved..

Great way to learn and find ideas.

Thanks for the replies. The dome idea was dropped long ago. The building was overseen and done by the step father who knows the locals in the area. No chance of me being there. The build was all done in around 10 days. My previous photos were taken around day 7. I wanted to wait for the finished photos before posting, but a whole stack of problems (unrelated to the build) came up, so I’ll get and post them later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, driver52 said:

@ncc1701dwhat are the dimensions of the house? Don't forget the finished pics! Looks like an amazing build for the price! Is it in the 'middle of nowhere'?

Cheers!

I’m not sure about the dimensions… I just asked for a two room + toilet / shower. I will try and get the dimensions. Girlfriend is currently in hotel quarantine with delta (she’s getting better - it really knocked her around), and her family are all in lockdown in chon buri. But when they are able to travel I’ll get the final photos. I’m told the only thing they are waiting on is the new owners to decide what colour they want it. No doubt it will be some bright garish Weird colour ????

They are in phanom sarakham district. About 20 min drive from a city, and about 5 min walk to other farm houses in the area. We did a Crimea style Annexe (bought) a section of a farm they were renting.

• Like 1