How to Restore Leather Seats in my car?

Dear All,

Although my car is only 6 years old and It only has 47K approx on the 'Clock'  the front  seats look ' battered'....

I live on Samui......Please can anyone recommend either a good repair shop or products from Lazada, Amazon, etc to help me restore them?

Many thanks in anticipation!

Mario  

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATY0MDABLThmOGQtMmU2OC0wMAItMDAKAEYAAAPi22hcbrIBRZrz%2BpFLdOn2BwDmjbXarglVSLWIS4t9pcPgAAACAQwAAADmjbXarglVSLWIS4t9pcPgAASP0LfkAAAAARIAEADoKE3nEfjjRoIBArKhv6at&thumbnailType=2&isc=1&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjMwODE3OUNFNUY0QjUyRTc4QjJEQjg5NjZCQUY0RUNDMzcyN0FFRUUiLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJ4NXQiOiJNSUY1emw5TFV1ZUxMYmlXYTY5T3pEY25ydTQifQ.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.dAESybTiZFgfuervIwBColyH12VJi3Z6c2PVv9Nce-o-DfenO7JqHNYky85CeRTiOIZVIZ3FiHQw_TVDBUg47vgLxxsdRO5VxfAvKkHg0aurOXUDvuL3OaHn3xScKv91mbHxETQu3TJ-6gVcCW0Wf-uHmiUZY-TH4xltPtlFGBA2kvqH9hWL6fX7WvRehQWLGwBoqh5IeWUvVZWVRwV1fA33ak_OQQxuK-oJCccYQlnqLvuFnLWAdoJXstMIzPDyZlAXgK7uRQSEN6jXeYdEm3i7gKDkl6l2idIPaPgfQotOu1BU4o2K4zVgpvW6mK-2AxdBh698XgPGq4u7fc83GQ&X-OWA-CANARY=hEekJP6bYkKU30DI-pia4JDR6glRFNkYyxHq6tZAPInZ1USxUag5-QP8as0ckMB7SzEOcj4F3s4.&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20210426004.09&animation=true

Edited by Mario666

14 hours ago, DavisH said:

What model of car is this? Have you ever used any kind of leather nourisher or cleaner on them? I assume it's leather. 

It is a Fortuner.

The seats are leather.

I haven't used any leather restorer or polish to date.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

It is a Fortuner.

The seats are leather.

I haven't used any leather restorer or polish to date.

That seems low kms for the leather to be worn. Hasd it just lost colour, looks dull? I recommend to use a conditioner on them once a month. You could also use a seat cover to help protect it. The front seatch of my civic were like new when I sold them after 250K kms. 

Try this:

image.png.73c1cff9698945abec63e45915cbe120.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DavisH said:

That seems low kms for the leather to be worn. Hasd it just lost colour, looks dull? I recommend to use a conditioner on them once a month. You could also use a seat cover to help protect it. The front seatch of my civic were like new when I sold them after 250K kms. 

Try this:

image.png.73c1cff9698945abec63e45915cbe120.png

The leather is cracked like an old sofa and the colour has come out.

Car seat 2.jpg

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

The leather is cracked like an old sofa and the colour has come out.

Car seat 2.jpg

It's copping excess wear form your leg as you get in and out of the car as the car is high. You can try those products I mentioned; they may help a bit. If that doesn't help you could rehupolster the seats, or put on a seat cover. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DavisH said:

It's copping excess wear form your leg as you get in and out of the car as the car is high. You can try those products I mentioned; they may help a bit. If that doesn't help you could rehupolster the seats, or put on a seat cover. 

Thanks...I will look on Lazada.

I know that there are products for this, but was wondering if any valeting companies offer a service.

Have a go with leather restorer' Most will work fine. But as other have pointed out it' s scuffing from getting in and out. Don't just slide out use the foot plate. New seat covers are also available, from Toyota but they are very expensive. At around 15k per cover. Front seats have two covers seat back and set base. If you are going to do both front seats your looking at 60k. So better to try some sort of restorer first. Or just live with it.

Edited by fredob43
  • Thanks 1

You can get full seat covers on lazada in various designs and colours and the odd time original toyota etc ones .

Just outside nathon on right there was a guy that fixes or replaces them as I seen him sitting outside doing some . It is about 300m if driving in lamai direction and roughly between boonsirichi kitchenware shop and the fishing tackle shop.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, salsajapan said:

There is leather and leather...

All jap cars clearly have very poor quality "leather"...

Is it real leather or fake artico like in a benz? Very few cars have 'real leather'. Porsche is one of them. 

Edited by DavisH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Is it real leather or fake artico like in a benz? Very few cars have 'real leather'. Porsche is one of them. 

hahaha Can't stop laughing !

Another cheap charlie who never owned anything nice and know nothing !

ALL benz that I owned and still own have REAL LEATHER on seats, door, and dashboard !

Artico is a scam for US or EU where people like you are so happy to tell us that German cars prices are so cheap !

I pay more here but my cars are now loaded with usual $$$hit found there !

23 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Unless they are real leather which I doubt the only thing you can do is buy the leather nourishing cream from Lazada or Shopee or replace.

I have bought Mink Oil at Rimping here in Chiang Mai to use on the house lounge chairs. Cannot speak to the same in Samui. My 2002 Honda CR-V leather seats were splitting. I had them recovered with vinyl and they have worked out fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

You can get full seat covers on lazada in various designs and colours and the odd time original toyota etc ones .

Just outside nathon on right there was a guy that fixes or replaces them as I seen him sitting outside doing some . It is about 300m if driving in lamai direction and roughly between boonsirichi kitchenware shop and the fishing tackle shop.

Great info....Many thanks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, scoupeo said:

is it really good ? does it stink ?

I had used Mink Oil on my leather hiking boots for many years without issues. I found it in a tin like other shoe polishes. I did not find there was a discernible smell (but then I am old and my “smeller” May be deadened. I put it on the leather recliners and let it soak in (the Thai heat helps with this).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scoupeo said:

Really ? people call this leather ?

it is so ugly !

and then some wonders why we buy German cars...

Well when I lived in the UK I only drove Mercs and BMWs.....M3 Evolution was a blast.

The Mercs were a little more Sedate, but very Luxurious.

The only reason I don't drive a Merc or BMW on Samui is there are no dealers (for servicing) here and also the Ridiculous Prices!

The reason I bought the Fortuner is that the Roads are so poor on Samui and the Main Toyota dealer is only 10 minutes from my house!

I bought it new for 1.6m Thb ....You would be lucky to buy a Decent Spec Merc over here at 3 Times the price! And then Servicing Costs similar and a trip to the mainland by Ferry every time!

No Thanks!

image.jpeg.7b05e0fc3604f9b8200af8b54ebc18bc.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 5/12/2021 at 4:22 PM, Mario666 said:

Great info....Many thanks!

Be careful with full seat covers. I got them for my crv, but later realised that I have inbuilt airbags in the side of the seats. I really should remove them and put on a cover that only covers the top surface of the seat. Check if your seats have the airbags in them, first. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Be careful with full seat covers. I got them for my crv, but later realised that I have inbuilt airbags in the side of the seats. I really should remove them and put on a cover that only covers the top surface of the seat. Check if your seats have the airbags in them, first. 

Thanks for the update!

Although the seats look bad on the photos in my Motor they are not really that bad when you see them.

My mistake was never having conditioned them, but I am sure after my research I will be able to make them look pretty good!

For the time being I am going to try a few restoration products/methods and see what happens.

I understand what you mean about side airbags!

????

• Haha 2