Slightly Wonky Explanation of Vaccine Efficacy

I have searched "Sinovac" "Sinopharm" and "Chinese vaccines are the best in the world" in this article. Nothing found. Looks like a biased article, with demonstrative disregard for one of the main vaccine producer in the world, whose vaccine is used in Thailand widely.

Edited by friendofthai
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Could be an interesting article....but wow.  Too long to get to a point.  I spent 10 minutes and not really sure what they are trying to say.

This is good for me:

thumbnail.jpg

I warned you it was a bit wonky and I agree could have used a good editor. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I warned you it was a bit wonky and I agree could have used a good editor. 

A very detailed article.  One best read in the morning after your 2nd cup of coffee.  5555  But, thanks!!!!  It gets hard trying to wrap your head around all this bs.  Mentally tiring.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-statistical-secrets-of-covid-19-vaccines/#intcid=_wired-homepage-right-rail_352410f2-3e88-4148-b5c3-8733609a4b76_popular4-1

'But “efficacy” has a specific meaning in the world of vaccine statistics, and it’s not “Hey, if I get a shot, my chance of getting Covid is now just 5%!” Ha, no, you dope. Because your chance of getting Covid wasn’t 100% in the first place. See, vaccine efficacy is actually a relative risk reduction. It’s a ratio comparing the risk of infection in people who got vaccinated versus people who didn’t (the control group). '

Key sentences here.  This is the most common misinterpretation of efficacy heard all the time.

"See, vaccine efficacy is actually a relative risk reduction. It’s a ratio comparing the risk of infection in people who got vaccinated versus people who didn’t (the control group). "

So for instance, a 50% efficacy rating reduces your risk by 50%, it doesn't mean you have a 50% chance of getting sick.

The unintentionally ironic last sentences of this confusing article:

" You want to get your normal life back? You have to stop the pandemic for other people. The sin of vaccine statistics is making that simple truth murky instead of clear."

Edited by cdemundo