Thai Revenue Dept. denies imported COVID-19 vaccines are double taxed

webfact

So it's now allegedly going to be 3,000 baht for two shots, plus admin and Dr's fee, insurance fee and 7% VAT.

Still looks affordable, but wait till you go for the jab, oh, there is also a farang surcharge of xyz, that comes to 6,000 baht per jab, plus admin and Dr's fee, insurance fee and 7% VAT.

The 3,000 baht quoted by the media and government was for Thai people, farang always pay double Kah.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Haha 1

Anutin had said the 14% was a fee being charged by the GPO, and covered "testing and delivery". So it could be accurate, though misleading, to say that the "tax" is only 7%. But yes, I'm utterly baffled by the idea of taxing vital medical imports in any way 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So why was it reported there would be a 14% levy on the vaccines.  Why are these guys even charging a tax during a pandemic when the goal is to vaccinate everyone to reduce the spread and possibility of death as well as trying to return tourism to the country.  Why?, because it would make them money. Money is always the first thought with Thailand.  My view only and yes sarcasm at how utterly ridiculous this whole tax issue has become.  

Maybe the VAT rate will stay at 7 %, but I wonder what " Import Duties " will be applied to ramp the cost up for the Hospitals to buy in the Vaccines.

If  the ' Import Duties " are anywhere the same as some of the Duties applied to Foreign Imported Goods, then we will see a $10 ( 310 Baht ) Dose of Vaccine being about 1,300 ( $ 42 ) Baht charged to the Hospitals ( or more ), which they then have to store, and administer the shots, Admin Etc. Probably making the Shot about 2500 at least - for One Dose, to the person being inoculated.

All Vaccines should be free of Border Taxes due to the Humanitarian need for them. If the producers of the Vaccines are producing at cost only, then its a small part for Governments to play in keeping down costs and aiding availability.

• Like 1

OK, so now it's 21%?

14% to the GPO

7% VAT

I'm sure others would ike to get in on the money?

Will the locally produced AZ be subject to to the same fees? I assume the GPO must be involved? And VAT too?

Edited by mtls2005

9 hours ago, JonnyF said:

No surprise.

More imported vaccines means less people taking Sinovac. Which means less swill in the trough.

Taxing the imports twice fills that gap. Simple as...

you also need to account for the pent-up demand to fill the coffers of Siam Biosciences "soon". We do not want the imported stuff to reduce demand there, do we? It is a patriotic duty of every Thai to buy from SB.

1 minute ago, connda said:

Flip-Flop Flip-Flop
Double vax taxes is quite the biz,
First "It isn't!!!"...until it is.  ????
Flip-Flop Flip-Flop

Spin it up!!!

I thought there was the 7% VAT as well as a 14% GPO 'services' tax.
So technically she's correct.  It's not double.  That's 21% or triple the tax.
So what the government spin doctors should do is to give the public a complete tax breakdown instead of spun-up denials.
What's the reality.  Break it down into number.  Don't get caught in more lies.

These people don't understand that the average Thai has seen years of outright lies over and over and over again.  From a "dead friend gave me the multi-million baht watch collection" to "Uncle Tu cares about you" as he sprays alcohol in the faces of reporters to Anutin's empty promises that every Thai family can grow 6 cannabis plants at home like any household herb (but try it for real and get thrown into prison commoner).  Even a villager that only made it through 6 grade can see through the unending lies and spin.
How long can you cry "Wolf" before the villagers call you on the bluff when you continually fail to provide them with the actual facts and just spin, spin, spin a happy, although unreal, narrative for the stupid rice farmers - well, so they think.  I'm beginning to appreciate that the rice farmers are in fact not THAT dumb.
I wonder when the red comes back out of the closet in the North and Northeast?  ????