Celta Course In Bkk Vs Celta Course At Home

hi gang,

i plan to be heading back to LOS in the fall for a year+. i was planning on taking the 4-5 week celta course here at home in canada first with hopes of perhaps doing some teaching while in LOS. but after a little more searching i see that there are celta courses available in bkk. there isn't really very much difference in the price from the one here at home (few hundred dollars) so i would really only be concerned with how well the courses were taught in bkk compared to say a school here in north america? can anyone comment on the quality of these courses given in bkk?

so i don't have any teaching experience at all but i thought i might like to give it a try. i also don't have any uni bachelors/masters or anything comparable. i only went to college to get a 3 year telecom tech degree. any comments on what chances i will have of teaching english would be welcome. what kind of teaching jobs would i qualify for after completing the celta program?

any other thoughts/advice would be awesome.

cheers,

chokdeekrap

^Sensible reply.

These "which TEFL course should I take" threads are pretty useless, generally, because there are very few (if any?) people who have taken TWO of them. A CELTA is pretty much a CELTA, I would think, so it won't matter qualification-wise if you do it there or here- but if you really plan to use it here you'd probably benefit from doing the course here, too.

"S"

You would prob learn more about teaching Thais if you did it in Thailand, which would help with your teaching in Thailand. But if you want to maybe teach in other countries, I would do it in your home country.
As further evidence of how useless these discussions can be, a CELTA in any country would only teach you how to teach English to adults, and most of the jobs in Thailand are for teachers to children.

i decided on CELTA because i have already been to the CELTA vs TEFL forums & decided it looked like the best step forward for me. i was just wondering what anyone's opinion on taking a CELTA course in bkk might be. experiences, regrets, advantages.

As further evidence of how useless these discussions can be, a CELTA in any country would only teach you how to teach English to adults, and most of the jobs in Thailand are for teachers to children.

is there not a follow-up CELTA course for teaching youths? YL-CELTA or something similar? sounds like a progression to me.

cheers,

chokdeekrap

Edited by chokdeekrap

If you plan to teach in countries other than Thailand then it may be wiser to do it in Canada - if you only plan to do it in Thailand then you will be fine doing it there.

Although it is a standardised course employers might find one obtained in a western country more desirable than one from Thailand.

The non-CELTic courses incorporate young learner's teaching in their 120 hour course.
call me crazy, but i am thinking i will probably take the tefl course before i do the CELTA course just as a prep course that was suggested several times on some other ESL boards.

i'm crazy like that... when i want to learn something i go all out. last time i was in thailand (for 18 months) i wanted to learn to dive. So rather than just go for my open water ticket i went all the way thru to the instrcutor level. not because i have a desire to instruct diving but because i figure it gives me the most exposure to whatever it is i am learning, diving at that particular time.

i won't be teaching english for the possible revenue but rather something to do on a daily basis. i am the kind of person that NEEDS to stay busy & if i can earn monthly beer money doing it then kudos to me.

so thanks for u'r replies & perhaps i will post a few more

pretty useless
posts regarding teaching in thailand & ilook forward to the community input.

cheers,

chokdeekrap

"you're crazy"

However you will become the one person who HAS done both of the courses and will be able to answer the myriad "which course is better threads".

Why don't you do one course and then a more advanced course if you really want to go all out....besides courses will only teach you a bit about teaching, actually teaching will teach you the rest.

Edited by Sporting Dog

There is also a DELTA. D is for Diploma and the C in CELTA is for Certificate. The DELTA is also offered through Cambridge (or however you spell it) and it like trying to escape from hel_l, or so I've been told. The manager at the language school I work at has a DELTA and I have seen it so I know they exist. I will try to find out more, but I believe it is very very very very...................... difficult and takes a long time to complete. He believes this is the holy grail of TEFL courses and he is the best TEFL teacher I have ever seen, by a long shot. So yes, the DELTA is above the CELTA and in a real TEFL world, would be better to have than ANY degree. I don't know why I have gone about the DELTA if you just want a follow up course, but yes, the CELTA has a follow up module to teach childern, a lot of other TEFL providers also have follow up modules. But if you got the DELTA, that would basically cover you to teach whatever you want, forever................... anywhere in the world!

Edited by aussiestyle1983