Expat vaccination likely to be delayed

BobinBKK

An official from the Bangkok Metropolitan Association says foreigners may face a slight delay in receiving their Covid-19 vaccines. Panruedee Manomaipiboon, director of the BMA’s health department says while the Health Ministry aims to vaccinate everyone living in Thailand, foreigners may have to wait until August.

“As I have said before, the Health Ministry plans to vaccinate Thais first. We will try our best to vaccinate Thais within 2 months, namely June and July, and then try to open foreign resident registration in August.”

CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19)Expat vaccination likely to be delayedMaya TaylorPublished 44 seconds ago on  Friday, May 14, 2021By Maya Taylor
PHOTO: Vincent Vega on Flickr
An official from the Bangkok Metropolitan Association says foreigners may face a slight delay in receiving their Covid-19 vaccines. Panruedee Manomaipiboon, director of the BMA’s health department says while the Health Ministry aims to vaccinate everyone living in Thailand, foreigners may have to wait until August.

“As I have said before, the Health Ministry plans to vaccinate Thais first. We will try our best to vaccinate Thais within 2 months, namely June and July, and then try to open foreign resident registration in August.”

Panruedee stresses that the government still intends to vaccinate everyone living in the Kingdom, regardless of nationality, and urges everyone to use the Mor Phom mobile app to register to minimise the risk of disease transmission. She says the first people to be vaccinated in the government rollout will be healthcare workers and other frontline staff, as well as people with underlying conditions and the elderly, before moving on to the rest of the population, including foreigners.

“We need to build herd immunity, which means we cannot segregate Thais and foreigners. The government has prepared enough vaccines for everyone in Thailand.”

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/expat-vaccination-likely-to-be-delayed

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Kinda the straw that broke the camel's back.  We're pretty sure we're going back home to get a jab.  Pfizer or Moderna.  Available the day we land.  Hate to have to do this, but just can't trust what they're saying here.

Plus, the US is open.  Restaurants are open.  Live music is happening.  Time to escape this mess.

My wife and I are getting Covid tests this Sunday. Assuming all goes well back to the US on Tuesday. There is simply too much 3rd world incompetence going on here right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the U.S., now that the first priorities of health care workers, first responders, the elderly and those with high-risk underlying conditions have been dealt with, as of 15 April any adult, American or foreigner, has the same priority to be vaccinated in any state in the U.S.  Even before 15 April, no preference was ever given to nationality or immigration status and none is given now.  The goal is to vaccinate everyone in the country as soon as possible, which is the proper public health goal. 

To be honest, this very clearly stated vaccination policy of "Thais first, then foreigners" (regardless of age or medical status) has made me rethink my entire attitude toward Thailand and the wisdom of living here.  Dual pricing at parks and such is one thing, an irritation but not really serious.  Two-tiered access to vaccinations is something altogether different.

13 hours ago, JTXR said:

To be honest, this very clearly stated vaccination policy of "Thais first, then foreigners" (regardless of age or medical status) has made me rethink my entire attitude toward Thailand and the wisdom of living here.  Dual pricing at parks and such is one thing, an irritation but not really serious.  Two-tiered access to vaccinations is something altogether different.

What I find shocking is the expats only now catching on at this late date that by moving to Thailand we were giving the substantial privileges of citizenship we enjoyed in our home countries.  I thought that was obvious from the start.  Nothing the Thai government said or did encourage us to think otherwise.

• Like 1