Bangkok: 42 million baht collected in fines for bikes and cars on the sidewalks but there's a Covid lull

webfact

SW.jpg

File photo

Deputy governor of Bangkok Sakonthee Pathiyakul admitted that the activities of the "tessakit" in the Thai capital were mostly concentrating on Covid-19 related matters.

They were busy getting the infected to hospitals and "hospitels".

But they were not forgetting their duty in making sure that motorcycles and cars were not using the sidewalks for parking or travelling on, reported Naew Na.

Since the crackdown on this began in July 2018 across the 50 bangkok districts 39 million people have been stopped. 

Some have just been warned though 33 million have been fined a total of 42,627,509 baht in fines. 

Motorcycle taxi riders or "wins" have been fined 423 times and Grab riders 314 times. 

There are a huge amount of these delivery riders and those of other companies operating in Bangkok at the moment, notes Thaivisa. 

In the first 10 days of this May, in the light of the deputy governor saying that Covid was the priority for local councils at the moment, just 42 people had been fined for using the sidewalk.

These resulted in 66,500 baht in fines being collected.

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-18

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Some have just been warned though 33 million have been fined a total of 42,627,509 baht in fines. 

So they each got fined just over 1 baht.

Gosh, that's a huge deterrent.

• Like 1

True story

Less than a year ago there was an announcement by the government that there was to be a police crackdown on motorcycles riding on footpaths.

This followed an incident where a student was hit on a footpath by a motorcycle and severely injured I don't recall she may have been even killed but I believe severely injured.

Within a day or two after reading that news article I found a motorcycle riding on the footpath in a busy intersection where I live. I took a picture including the driver's license plate of the motorcycle on the footpath with the license plate. I then walked across the street to the police booth and I motioned to the police in the booth motorcycle footpath look at my phone.

They literally laughed at m

Just today walking to the Big box store I was on the footpath on a very large avenue. A motorcycle taxi driver came barreling up the footpath at something above 25 km an hour. I literally stopped and stood aside and I could see him coming more than 100 m away.

So, as we all know the stories are absolutely meaningless.

The law is only what the rich do to the poor.

Edited by kynikoi
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

My God!  With an average fine of 1.29 THB, the violators are no doubt shaking in the boots.

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

So they each got fined just over 1 baht.

Gosh, that's a huge deterrent.

38 minutes ago, CALSinCM said:

My God!  With an average fine of 1.29 THB, the violators are no doubt shaking in the boots.

Let's not turn the TVF translator's (Rooster's?) errors into a Thai bashing thread.

A quick look at the link shows 39000, not 39 million.

Surprised they don't proof read stuff before posting it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kynikoi said:

Within a day or two after reading that news article I found a motorcycle riding on the footpath in a busy intersection where I live. I took a picture including the driver's license plate of the motorcycle on the footpath with the license plate. I then walked across the street to the police booth and I motioned to the police in the booth motorcycle footpath look at my phone.

They literally laughed at m

That's because those reports/photos from the public had to be sent to the BMA, not the police controlling the busy intersection. 

Edited by Liverpool Lou

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Since the crackdown on this began in July 2018 across the 50 bangkok districts 39 million people have been stopped. 

So what's the use if they Don't fine All of the offenders ?

Same as with every Other Law ,Good for some but Not for Others.  

A Law is Only good if it's enforced , Just not good Only on Paper . 

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

So what's the use if they Don't fine All of the offenders ?

Same as with every Other Law ,Good for some but Not for Others.  

A Law is Only good if it's enforced , Just not good Only on Paper . 

Perhaps they all paid a fine !!!!!