Changing one job to teaching job advice.

I am currently employed at Prince of Songkhla University as a graphic designer/student outreach job position. I have non-b visa and work permit that will expire in 5 months. Recently I found a teaching job that suits my needs better. So, I applied and passed the interview.

Now in 3 days school wants me to sign the contract.
Before the interview I already submitted these papers Medical certificate, passport copies, copies of work permit, language certificates, degree certificates.

Today lady from school told asked me about some letter of work permit cancelation, to maybe bring that too. But I don't have it yet as I still didn't cancel my old work permit (my employer agreed on that until I make sure I have everything ready for the new job)

Can someone tell me exact procedure for this, and when should I cancel my old work permit? 

As far as i understand:

1. I need to sign the contract with school

2. Cancel my work permit

3. Go to immigration and get 7 day visa extension

Then in order to obtain new visa and work permit I am a bit confused, it says that I will have to get teachers license- and that takes up to few months. So how can I wait few months to get that if I have only 7 days to fix new papers with my new employee? Or em I missing something?

In short, when would be the best way to cancel my work permit and visa and not end up in some mess?

thanks

Your school needs to cancel the work permit. The paper signed by the director, showing your last day of work, needs to be submitted in person to the labor office by an officer of the school. I tried to do this myself once, no go. Then the school gives you the receipt for this from the labor office. This is what immigration wants to see, which you take to them on the same day. Make a copy of this for your new school.

Given the current circumstances, you should get a 60 day Covid extension. I just did this. First they'll give you a 7 day "under consideration", then you go back for the remaining 53 days. Then your new school can change this to a new Non-B. Be sure you get that copy of the work permit cancelation. It'd also help if your old school could provide a tax receipt.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme

26 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

It'd also help if your old school could provide a tax receipt.

What is that one for? I was employed as intern, so i didn't get any salary. Was the old employer supposed to pay some taxes for me? how can I check this?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 4:37 PM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Your school needs to cancel the work permit. The paper signed by the director, showing your last day of work, needs to be submitted in person to the labor office by an officer of the school. I tried to do this myself once, no go. Then the school gives you the receipt for this from the labor office. This is what immigration wants to see, which you take to them on the same day. Make a copy of this for your new school.

Given the current circumstances, you should get a 60 day Covid extension. I just did this. First they'll give you a 7 day "under consideration", then you go back for the remaining 53 days. Then your new school can change this to a new Non-B. Be sure you get that copy of the work permit cancelation. It'd also help if your old school could provide a tax receipt.

On 5/21/2021 at 5:06 PM, SpeedFreakz said:

What is that one for? I was employed as intern, so i didn't get any salary. Was the old employer supposed to pay some taxes for me? how can I check this?

CWS is correct that only the school can cancel your WP.

OP - I'm curious as to how you managed a Non-B visa with a Non-Paying job. (this usually requires a volunteer visa)

From your OP I'm presuming the university is/was your 1st job in Thailand so a tax receipt would not have been necessary at the labor dept. for your current WP. BUT, now that you have "worked" in Thailand and need a new WP you need to show that you have duly reported to the revenue dept. and paid any outstanding taxes based on your most recent employment. (not necessary for a volunteer as far as I know) You will need a taxpayer ID number from the revenue dept. and a salary reporting form from the university with your information and tax ID # so the revenue dept. can issue you a receipt for the labor dept. (Yes, even if all the money numbers are 0)

On 5/21/2021 at 4:15 PM, SpeedFreakz said:

Then in order to obtain new visa and work permit I am a bit confused, it says that I will have to get teachers license- and that takes up to few months.

This is correct but written incorrectly. In order to obtain the Non-B and new WP you must APPLY for a teacher's license (or waiver) at TCT. The new school will need to help with this process. If 1 of your "Degrees" is a B.Ed. then it's a pretty straight forward PITA process. If you do NOT hold a B.Ed. then you will be applying for a waiver which the new school must request via their director. 

As I don't see it mentioned in your OP, you will also need a new police clearance from the RTP (Royal Thai Police) which also needs to be requested by the new school.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon in case I've missed something. UbonJoe is the resident expert on all things visa. ????

Personally I would have asked the university for a salaried position and tried to avoid the paperwork nightmare adventure you've set yourself on. If you've been surviving on no money then even the low salary most "unis" pay would have been a step up. Good Luck

Edited by mrwebb8825

I canceled a wp in Bangkok years ago. It was one piece of paper. Done. Quit due to working under an alcoholic and with a very creepy guy that liked young teen boys. Another story.

The issue is on the visa side. That you'll need paperwork. Schools are notoriously slow but I don't think malevolent or hold grudges. You're one of 1000 that didn't work out. Usually it's an admin that processes the paperwork. I've only known one teacher that was ever assigned that task at half dozen schools. It's slow, they don't care and you can't blame them for not caring.

Trouble is youll be stuck in Limbo.

If you can let it all lapse and still remain in country that is best.

Sign a contract the day after yours ends.

Edited by kynikoi