Changing Tourist Visa

Hi there

I'm an australian with Australian passport

I am a little confused about what I need to do to extend my stay in thailand or change visa type. I have several questions. I will be traveling to thailand on the 5th of july

If I wanted to stay longer than 30 days, do I need to aply for an extention at a consulate in australia before I travel to thailand or can I apply for an extention at an imigration office in thailand.

Also, how long am I permitted to stay in thailand on an extention of stay? I would like to stay for atlesast 3 months.

If I am to marry my thai partner in thailand while on tourist visa, or extention of stay of a tourist visa, what type of visa do I need to change to allow me to remain in thailand, and can I change to this type of visa at an imigration office in thail or do i need to apply at an embasy/consulate outside of thailand.

Thankyou so much for your help

Regards

Peter

1. Yes. A 30 day entry can only be extended 7 days max.

2. As above: 7 days. A tourist visa of 60 days would allow a 30 day extension of stay or a single entry non immigrant O visa a 90 day stay or a multi entry non immigrant O visa unlimited stays of up to 90 days for a one year period. Non immigrant visas may be available at Honorary Royal Thai Consulates.

3. No visa allows more than a 90 day stay. To stay longer would require a extension of stay from Immigration of a non immigrant visa for one year at a time but this is only issued for marriage if family income is 40k baht per month.

After marriage there is a one time possibility of a 60 day extension of stay from Immigration under the new laws.

If you have a tourist visa and intend to extend your stay with the 40k income you can change to a non immigrant 90 day entry visa at Immigration with the below paperwork:

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-O): FOR A FAMILY MEMBER OF A THAI (APPLICABLE ONLY PARENTS, SPOUSE OR CHILD.

In case of no children, the application must be submitted 21 days before visa expiration and Overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted

Application for Visa Status Alteration. (TM.86)

Application for visa. (TM.87)

Copy of passport entries.

4 X 6 cm. Photograph.

Application fee of 2,000 baht.

In case of, marriage registered in Thailand

• Copy of marriage Certificate(Kor Ror.2)

• Copy of marriage Registeration Papers (Kor Ror.3)

• Copy of marriage certificate

• Copy of the family status registration. (Kor Ror.22) (Issued by the district office in Thailand)

A copy of the letter form The Embassy or Consulate certify in that the applicant is single.

Copy of I.D. card and house registration papers of the Thai national.

Birth Certificate or medical letter certifying pregnancy, or pregnancy report booklet.(Showing parents’ name)

Wedding ceremony picture.(if any)

Remarks

The applicant must sign to certify every page of application.

The visa Applicant must arrange the documents in proper order and must prepare the originals as proof.

In case of, the applicant and Thai national already have had children. The name of parents shown in birth certificate must be correctly spelling and match with passport and ID card.

Call 02-2873101-10 ext.2237, 02-287-4948 for details.

1. Yes. A 30 day entry can only be extended 7 days max.

2. As above: 7 days. A tourist visa of 60 days would allow a 30 day extension of stay or a single entry non immigrant O visa a 90 day stay or a multi entry non immigrant O visa unlimited stays of up to 90 days for a one year period. Non immigrant visas may be available at Honorary Royal Thai Consulates.

3. No visa allows more than a 90 day stay. To stay longer would require a extension of stay from Immigration of a non immigrant visa for one year at a time but this is only issued for marriage if family income is 40k baht per month.

After marriage there is a one time possibility of a 60 day extension of stay from Immigration under the new laws.

If you have a tourist visa and intend to extend your stay with the 40k income you can change to a non immigrant 90 day entry visa at Immigration with the below paperwork:

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-O): FOR A FAMILY MEMBER OF A THAI (APPLICABLE ONLY PARENTS, SPOUSE OR CHILD.

In case of no children, the application must be submitted 21 days before visa expiration and Overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted

4 X 6 cm. Photograph.

• Copy of marriage Certificate(Kor Ror.2)

• Copy of marriage Registeration Papers (Kor Ror.3)

• Copy of marriage certificate

• Copy of the family status registration. (Kor Ror.22) (Issued by the district office in Thailand)

A copy of the letter form The Embassy or Consulate certify in that the applicant is single.

Copy of I.D. card and house registration papers of the Thai national.

Birth Certificate or medical letter certifying pregnancy, or pregnancy report booklet.(Showing parents’ name)

Wedding ceremony picture.(if any)

Remarks

The applicant must sign to certify every page of application.

The visa Applicant must arrange the documents in proper order and must prepare the originals as proof.

In case of, the applicant and Thai national already have had children. The name of parents shown in birth certificate must be correctly spelling and match with passport and ID card.

Lopburi3

Is this possible to apply for an extension on the base of retirement (over 50, funds, etc.) ?

Do you have alist of the paperwork required as you posted for the Thai wife ?

Thanks

These are the old requirements (still in use) for change of visa - not for the extension of stay itself. The full list is available on Immigration Website by clicking on change of visa. Not all browsers will display correctly; but IE works.

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-O): FOR RETIREMENT PURPOSES.

In case of overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted.

4 X 6 cm. Photograph.

• A guarantee letter from bank in Thailand showing that the applicant has an account of not less than 800,000 baht, and

• Copy all pages of bank passbook and

• A document proving foreign remittance(SWIFT) Or

A guarantee-letter from The Embassy or Consulate, proving the monthly pension or income of the applicant not less than 65,000 baht per month. Or

The total amount of money from the pension and bank account as stated above not less than 800,000 baht.

Remarks

The applicant must sign every page of application.

The visa applicant must arrange the documents in proper order and must prepare the originals as proof.

Show the document proving monthly/annual pension or income supporting No.6