Understanding mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines

rcuthbert

"                                                        What You Need to Know

• mRNA vaccines are a new type of vaccine to protect against infectious diseases.
  • MRNA vaccines teach our cells how to make a protein—or even just a piece of a protein—that triggers an immune response inside our bodies.
  • The benefit of mRNA vaccines, like all vaccines, is those vaccinated gain protection without ever having to risk the serious consequences of getting sick with COVID-19."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/mrna.html

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John435 said:

Is teach the right word? Human cells don’t learn how to make spike proteins, they just use the mRNA blueprints and then destroy them, like the mRNA made naturally by cells every day. 

"Instruct" would be the best term.

I'm definitely not an anti-vaxxer and beyond ready to get my shots, but these mRNA vaccines do cause me some worry.  Because the technology is so new and the pandemic compelled its immediate use, there's no way of knowing what the long term consequences (if any) might be.  

If I had a choice (and at this point I don't), I'd go for the J&J.

8 hours ago, John435 said:

Is teach the right word? Human cells don’t learn how to make spike proteins, they just use the mRNA blueprints and then destroy them, like the mRNA made naturally by cells every day. 

I kind of wonder about "teach" as well. 

I think your brief description is better  "they just use the mRNA blueprints and then destroy them".

It is astounding the degree to which things are "dumbed down" in explanations meant for the general public.