Dirtbiking

Hal65

I'm getting interested in maybe taking this up as a hobby. First start will be a tour on a rented bike in Pattaya. After that I was thinking of either getting a dual sport to ride around locally with, or just flying to different parts of thailand and renting bikes. What do you guys suggest?

• Like 1

You mean trail riding? To me dirt biking means motocross. 

Quite a few guys on here go trail riding in the hills. Some even try to go where there are no trails. Sounds like either way you need to hook up with some mates.

I don't wish to ride on any trail that doesn't show up on a map.????

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

The hardest part would be finding dirt bikes to rent outside of places like Pattaya (even in Pattaya you wont find many). Another thing would be the heat, it can be pretty hot with all the correct protective gear on. Any dirt/trail bike riding is a hot activity.

There is a youtube channel "Rides 4 Kickz", the guy is based in Pattaya and has a trailbike, does bike trips etc

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The hardest part would be finding dirt bikes to rent outside of places like Pattaya (even in Pattaya you wont find many). Another thing would be the heat, it can be pretty hot with all the correct protective gear on. Any dirt/trail bike riding is a hot activity.

There is a youtube channel "Rides 4 Kickz", the guy is based in Pattaya and has a trailbike, does bike trips etc

Agreed.

Iv'e been to a few places in Phetchabun & Chiang Mai. Generally the rentals are not well maintained. Bordering on unsafe.

I'd get a dual sport like a CRF 250 & scout around. Just mind to lower the tire pressure when you hit those trails.  Bring a little foot pump to bring them back up.

Good luck to you mate. It's a great hobby. Great to see people interested in it ????

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 5:12 PM, Hal65 said:

I was thinking of either getting a dual sport to ride around locally with, or just flying to different parts of thailand and renting bikes. What do you guys suggest?

Both.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Thanks guys. How much do you feel the heat? You have a lot of gear to wear but on the other hand maybe the speed cools things a bit?

Swimming in balls soup all the time mate. Thats my best description ????

• Like 1

CRF300L would be a good choice. A good bike for those just taking up dual sport/off road riding.

As for gear, mesh jackets are pretty good. Dainese BKK currently has a closing down sale (Triumph are now in their old place), I picked up a Super rider d-dry jacket for 7000 Baht last week. Rev'It also make some good ones.

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

CRF300L would be a good choice. A good bike for those just taking up dual sport/off road riding.

As for gear, mesh jackets are pretty good. Dainese BKK currently has a closing down sale (Triumph are now in their old place), I picked up a Super rider d-dry jacket for 7000 Baht last week. Rev'It also make some good ones.

What are the options for registerable dirt bikes here? The CRF seems a touch under powered and overweight for a 300. The KLX250 is also very under powered compared to bikes of a few decades ago.

Edited by Smithson

3 minutes ago, Smithson said:

What are the options for off register able dirt bikes here? The CRF seems a touch under powered and overweight for a 300. The KLX250 is also very under powered compared to bikes of a few decades ago.

Yeah they are heavy and underpowered. Off register able? Do you mean proper dirt bikes that aren't road legal? If so, I bought a 2019 KX250F (NOT the KLX250) from Kawasaki Korat for 299,000 Baht and a 2019 KLX140G for 80,000 (ish) Baht from the same place. Yamaha sometimes has YZ250F's in stock but they are normally reserved before they hit the showroom. They wouldn't sell me one because I don't have a racing licence even though I'd bought a MT09 from them a few months before which left me very unimpressed. You can get them from private importers for about 350,000. Probably my next dirtbike.

I also bought a 2001 CR125R privately for 70,000 Baht but I still haven't got it running right. Took the carb apart and the main jet had been welded to the needle jet!! No idea why. I've ordered new jets and I'm now treating that as a project bike.

The CRF450L is also an option. A bit over 300,000 if I remember correctly. It's road legal but heavily restricted here so factor in 50,000 more to get it running right.   

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Yeah they are heavy and underpowered. Off register able? Do you mean proper dirt bikes that aren't road legal? If so, I bought a 2019 KX250F (NOT the KLX250) from Kawasaki Korat for 299,000 Baht and a 2019 KLX140G for 80,000 (ish) Baht from the same place. Yamaha sometimes has YZ250F's in stock but they are normally reserved before they hit the showroom. They wouldn't sell me one because I don't have a racing licence even though I'd bought a MT09 from them a few months before which left me very unimpressed. You can get them from private importers for about 350,000. Probably my next dirtbike.

I also bought a 2001 CR125R privately for 70,000 Baht but I still haven't got it running right. Took the carb apart and the main jet had been welded to the needle jet!! No idea why. I've ordered new jets and I'm now treating that as a project bike.

The CRF450L is also an option. A bit over 300,000 if I remember correctly. It's road legal but heavily restricted here so factor in 50,000 more to get it running right.   

Actually I meant proper dirt bikes that can be registered for road use (not MX). I used to ride here, I had a CRM250AR and a KDX220R. They were fun with decent power. A lot of the guys I rode with had KTMs imported with an 'invoice'. This was never a problem, even though unregistered, as a group we could ride straight through police road blocks, because they knew we were heading for the hills.

Have you ever considered a KR150 engine in a rolling chassis? The engines are available very cheaply and are based on the KX 125.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Smithson said:

Actually I meant proper dirt bikes that can be registered for road use (not MX). I used to ride here, I had a CRM250AR and a KDX220R. They were fun with decent power. A lot of the guys I rode with had KTMs imported with an 'invoice'. This was never a problem, even though unregistered, as a group we could ride straight through police road blocks, because they knew we were heading for the hills.

Have you ever considered a KR150 engine in a rolling chassis? The engines are available very cheaply and are based on the KX 125.

It's a shame the WR250R wasn't available in Thailand. That seemed to be the number 1 (affordable) choice for street legal dirtbikes without getting into high end European stuff like KTM's and Husky's which are super expensive here due to import tax. It's been discontinued now anyway...

No I'd never considered doing that with a KR150. I bet it's a great engine but I'm not sure I'd be able to get the geometry, handling, weight distribution etc. right on a bolt in job.  

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

No I'd never considered doing that with a KR150. I bet it's a great engine but I'm not sure I'd be able to get the geometry, handling, weight distribution etc. right on a bolt in job.  

There's a lot of ppl here doing it, I don't think it's so hard. Years ago I would read of CRM engines going into CR frames and KDX engines going into KX frames. The 2T engines have lots of advantages over modern four strokes. The KRR150 is claimed to be 30hp, more than the CRF300L.

Here's one in a KX frame

And here's one being ridden, seems to go OK

19 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Thanks guys. How much do you feel the heat? You have a lot of gear to wear but on the other hand maybe the speed cools things a bit?

Not this time of year many Thais ride outs are are going at night. 

150BF looks like a great deal, thanks. Being a dual sport I could ride it to the trail so no need for a car. Maybe buy two to take a date as well!

Do you guys think such a bike would be a feasible transportation for a back country exploration from Pattaya into Issan, to the North and then South? I'd take trails wherever possible and avoid highways.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hal65 said:

Do you guys think such a bike would be a feasible transportation for a back country exploration from Pattaya into Issan, to the North and then South? I'd take trails wherever possible and avoid highways.

No.

Edited by papa al

15 hours ago, Hal65 said:

150BF looks like a great deal, thanks. Being a dual sport I could ride it to the trail so no need for a car. Maybe buy two to take a date as well!

Absolutely possible. People have done much longer journeys on smaller capacity bikes such as a Honda Wave. I even did 600kms in a single day on a Yamaha Nouvo though I wouldn't recommend it.

The KLX150 is air cooled and bullet proof. Fuel range well over 200 kms. Luggage racks available. Can cruise at 100 kmh on the highway and handle off road. Last time I checked they were 87,000 Baht. Amazing value.  

The setup below shows what can be done. Not my pic by the way. Personally I'd scale down the size of the backpack, add a 4 litre jerry can to that so you have well over 300 km range and you're good to go. 

image.png.82db1db66366c47020e638fe3a98b058.png

• Like 2

13 hours ago, chrissables said:

Why?

The bike is fine,

but AFApK the trans-Issan/trans-North Thailand, ... ,

trail network you imagine

really doesn't exist.

Please prove papa wrong.

Please.

????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, papa al said:

Why?

Every village has fuel.

He was talking about taking the trails.

He'd probably be OK. But nothing worse than having a great ride ruined because of fuel anxiety. Plus fuel cannisters on the side of the bike make you look 'core.????

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

He was talking about taking the trails.

//////////

He'd probably be OK. But nothing worse than having a great ride ruined because of fuel anxiety. Plus fuel cannisters on the side of the bike make you look 'core.????

Trails lead to villages & fuel.

////////

Yeah right.

& maybe some Dakar tattoos.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, papa al said:

The bike is fine,

but AFApK the trans-Issan/trans-North Thailand, ... ,

trail network you imagine

really doesn't exist.

Please prove papa wrong.

Please.

????

I meant riding the distance is possible.

I usually ride to a city or town with good food and drink, then take days out exploring. There tracks all over the place but connecting them up would be an issue, i am sure some people find them though. ????

• Like 1