Before it was money it was a unit of weight: The Thai baht

1 hour ago, NotYourBusiness said:

15 grams of silver is US$13.58

That is called inflation.

All currencies except Bitcoin and the like do it.

One Baht was $13.68 but now about 3 cents.

wasn't there also the Stalang?

4 Stalang equals one baht.

An interesting article.

Because the VAT rate is 7% here it creates fractions of B1 so there are satang at 25 and 50 denominations. One's bills at the supermarket in particular have many items with fractions of the Baht that involves giving satangs as change.

One cannot buy anything for satang these days so I would like to see the prices rounded up to the nearest Baht. Nobody will gripe at that and will save the sometimes embarrassment of offering multiple collected satang as part payment for something that are often refused by traders.

I have B250 in 25's and 50's collected, filling two jam jars.  I think someone will tell me I can take to the bank - would that be an option?

5 hours ago, jobsworth said:

I just wish that the one baht coin had a hole in the middle like it used to so that we could tie them together in bundles of ten to ease payments.

You don't just dump your small change in the charity boxes? 

nice heritage story ????   

reminds me of down over the Border; where the Batu became the unit of measurement for the Mile

- in that all Mileposts were signified by using a certain placed Rock, one Mile apart 

Rock meant Batu in Malay

Therefore; the word Batu became the adopted local word used to translate 'Mile' in Malay, and is still used too...   even though the currency of distance is these days, the KM  

4 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

An interesting article.

Because the VAT rate is 7% here it creates fractions of B1 so there are satang at 25 and 50 denominations. One's bills at the supermarket in particular have many items with fractions of the Baht that involves giving satangs as change.

One cannot buy anything for satang these days so I would like to see the prices rounded up to the nearest Baht. Nobody will gripe at that and will save the sometimes embarrassment of offering multiple collected satang as part payment for something that are often refused by traders.

I have B250 in 25's and 50's collected, filling two jam jars.  I think someone will tell me I can take to the bank - would that be an option?

I've started sticking a dozen or so satang coins in my pocket when we go shopping at Big C every month. On the weekends they apply discounts every ฿1400 or so, and I'm often able to get rid of half a dozen of the damned things. I've been here so long I remember when 25 satang was the bus fare. They weren't a problem then.

20 hours ago, Speedhump said:

You don't just dump your small change in the charity boxes? 

I would if they just did charity work.

As it is they are funded by the embassies and target white people as paedophiles.