Air Horns

One of the few after-market accessories I ever buy is a decent set of Fiamm air horns (not the stupid musical ones, the regular dual or triple-note dischord type). These things are LOUD, allegedly 134dB I reckon they're more like 120dB @ 1m, still not nice to be near (which is the whole point).

Sooooo, are Fiamm horns available in LoS, more to the point, are they LEGAL? I want to attract attention, but not of the BiB !

The standard horn on my Ranger can barely wake sleeping soi dogs, let alone persuade them to actually move :o

Crossy,

I would recommend that you talk to any of the local bus companies.

I believe their horns are designed to be heard far enough up the road to allow the potential passengers to get out of bed, get dressed, have breakfast and still make the bus.

• Haha 1

Crossy,

I would recommend that you talk to any of the local bus companies.

I believe their horns are designed to be heard far enough up the road to allow the potential passengers to get out of bed, get dressed, have breakfast and still make the bus.

Bus and truck air horns are great, most run off the trucks compressed air system for the brakes, which is usually an belt driven compressor, so unless you want to mount a belt driven compressor just for horns an electric one is needed, truck and bus run 24v so a 12v one will be needed like some 4WD mobs make like ARB make a small compressor and a small storage tank would be needed to hold sufficient amounts of air, if you are going to that extreme then get Air horns from a Locomotive, they will wake the dead and can be heard km's away

Considering all the pick-ups crawling the streets with loudspeakers blaring I don't

suppose a horn , no matter if it is loud , has been legislated against.

In a previous life I worked for a company in Africa who had the Caterpillar

concession for the country. The horn in my car died so I went to see

the guys in the service section , explained the problem and left the car.

Came out of the office at 5 , saw the guy , problem solved , gave him the

correct amount of cash ('cause he gave me a big smile) and drove off

homewards. Thinking it might be an idea to check it out I hit the horn.

Noise frightened the <deleted> out of me. When I got home I lifted the bonnet

and there was this thing about 18" across. It must have been from one

of the monster trucks or something. I suppose I was lucky it didn't flatten

the battery.

I know a guy who had an air horn on a Honda Phantom. The air was stored in a small tank that was under the seat. He was threatened with severe bodily harm a number of times and after that his air supply lasted a lot longer. The horn was installed by a small motorcycle shop.

12v air horns operate from a small electric compressor which doesn't require a reservoir.

yes thats right for the car ones, but hook a truck horn to the small compressor they supply and it wont have the volume of air to drive it

I've just put one on my partners bike, its a stebel nautilus air horn buy a compact one that looks like a standard car horn, 139db.

My mate has also made replica Harley Davidson horn covers to fit over them as they are bigger so they can be fitted to the bikes. Very loud.

:o

I just picked up the one in the attached picture at Klong Thom. B525 for the set - includes two horns, compressor, hose, relay, screws and bolts etc. Not included are fuse holder, fuse, cable, cable clamps, switch etc.

So where do you buy them ?

There is a massive auto place on Naratiwat Rd between Sathorn Rd and Chan Rd.. Im sure I have seen them there before.

Cheers

It's called Autobacs and here's map of the placec (but in Thai). It's on the west side of Narathiwat Rd, not far from south Sathorn. They have more than a dozen air horns to choose from most of which are from Japan. I had one fitted there on the car I had before.

http://world.autobacs.com/store/sathorn/map.html

I just picked up the one in the attached picture at Klong Thom. B525 for the set - includes two horns, compressor, hose, relay, screws and bolts etc. Not included are fuse holder, fuse, cable, cable clamps, switch etc.

I have what look identical to the above pictured horns installed on my Toyota Tiger p/u. However when I had my vehicle inspected when transfering from BKK to Chiang Mai I was told at the Land Transport Office that I would have to remove them. Apparently they are NOT legal.

Of course I complied and removed them to pass the inspection and immediately reinstalled them when I got home. (I also installed a toggle switch so that I can use the standard horn if someone chooses to test them).

edit:spelling

Edited by silverhawk_usa

One of the few after-market accessories I ever buy is a decent set of Fiamm air horns (not the stupid musical ones, the regular dual or triple-note dischord type). These things are LOUD, allegedly 134dB I reckon they're more like 120dB @ 1m, still not nice to be near (which is the whole point).

Sooooo, are Fiamm horns available in LoS, more to the point, are they LEGAL? I want to attract attention, but not of the BiB !

The standard horn on my Ranger can barely wake sleeping soi dogs, let alone persuade them to actually move :D

Boy sound, sukomvit pattaya,or any of those thai run bolt on businesses, i have them on everything, car ,bike and pushchair ! i think they are compulsery arent they ? :o Edited by mikethevigoman

• 4 months later...

Long live the use of air horns here in Thailand and elsewhere dont worry about any Bib tea money it's worth it !

On the way back yesterday morning from Hau Hin I clocked two small kids at the very last moment scrambling up the embankment towards my fast lane with an adult trying to catch them

The only immediate thing I could do was a long blast on the new Bosch horns I had just fitted which halted the kids at the road side and luckily did the trick ..does not bear thinking about what may have happened

I had just had these fitted in Hau Hin to replace the Fiamm ones as the compressor had ingressed water and got damaged when I last got the car jet washed

Tips Fit and regularly check those air horns the louder the better and cover the compressor with a bag when jet washing !

I brought my electrical horn from the US from my old cruiser. Not an air horn, but the one with a whail. If anything I use the horn more for when kids are in the street, etc and slow motocy in front of me in my lane coming towards me. Without it, I would have hit kids by now.

Don´t worry about the BIBs.

I have what look identical to the above pictured horns installed on my Toyota Tiger p/u. However when I had my vehicle inspected when transfering from BKK to Chiang Mai I was told at the Land Transport Office that I would have to remove them. Apparently they are NOT legal.

Of course I complied and removed them to pass the inspection and immediately reinstalled them when I got home. (I also installed a toggle switch so that I can use the standard horn if someone chooses to test them).

edit:spelling

Well

I have those in my Zafira and YES they are illegal,, but for inspection there was no problem in here(Ubon) as i have switch between those two horns, so can use both, my wife dont like them so she is using normal horn while driving and i use airhorns.

Here i found then from one of those small spare parts shops and cost was ok, not the cheapest but 1500 and i told the lady that i pay 1200 and she agreed.

Installation was done by one of the car stereo installation shops and for 2hr work they charged 500.

28102007004_resize.jpg

28102007003_resize.jpg

28102007002_resize.jpg

28102007005_resize.jpg