Renewing drivers license in Phuket. Have things changedin the last four months?

Inepto Cracy

29 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

In Phuket today, I was successful in obtaining my Thai Driver's license renewal, with it now renewed until mid-January-2027 (my birthday month).   This replaces my old previous 2 year "temporary" Thai driver's license which expired in the 3rd week of June this year.

COR:  I did NOT need to go for an immigration COR, but rather I used my Yellow Book and my pink Thai "ID" in lieu.  Both my Yellow Book and my pink Thai ID have my same address on them (ie they are consistent). 

Driver's License content: One thing that surprised me (a LOT) was they entered my pink Thai "ID" # in my driver's license, in the same place where my Passport # used to go.  Currently there is NO passport # on my new Thai Driver's license, which is (I think) unusual.  

Honestly, I don't know if this is good or bad ?    I am thinking .the following:

The Bad (?) :  There is a new 'restriction' line on the back of my Driver's License which was not on the temporary, stating in Thai something like one is not allowed to drive outside the area (?) without permission.  Possibly that is a result of them using the Pink ID instead of a Passport # in the Driver's license ? < not sure > 

The Good (?) :  I do note my pink Thai "ID" is good 'for life' as my being over age-65 (?) means the pink Thai "ID" doesn't expire. Further my passport would have expired in 2025 ... which I think, if the passport # was on the Driver's license, could have created complications with a new Passport # not matching the Driver's License record of one's passport # ?  < not sure >  .... so at present, there are no expiry issues , other than my Driver's License expiring in January-2027.

If they had placed my passport # in the Thai driver's license,  then for the last couple years of the Driver's License (from about 2025) , my passport # would have been incorrect in the driver's license.

On Line video:   wrt the OP original question, prior to going for the renewal at the DOT, I registered/watched the renewal video, on line.   I think previous one needed to watch the video at the DOT.

Great news!  Thanks for the report.  I will try using yellow book/pink ID card next time in lieu of the CofR.  Yours is the first report I've seen of that working in Phuket.

The Bad you mentioned I don't think will be a problem as I think that restriction is ignored as is the restriction on the back of the pink ID card.  Unless you are in fact a migrant worker the restriction doesn't seem to be enforced.

The Good is a good thing as your Thai National ID Number (on pink ID and in yellow book) never changes (even if one has to renew the pink ID card, which you don't), unlike passport numbers.

Could you share the link to register/watch the renewal video online?

1 hour ago, skatewash said:

Could you share the link to register/watch the renewal video online?

Here is the link:  https://www.dlt-elearning.com/Home/ForeignerIndex

To put my use of this in context, about a week prior to my 2-year temporary Driver's License expiring in June, my wife and I stopped by the DOT in Phuket and made an appointment for today for my license renewal (I posted about this previous).  

Then in late June, my wife spotted that website (link above) and she went and registered me on that web site, and she advised me to go to the link and watch the video prior to going for my appointment in July.  She gave me a username and the password (?) was my birthdate.

Procrastinator that I am, I did not get around to going to the website to watch the video until yesterday. 

I watched the video on the website and when I finished watching the video, it gave me a 'certificate' image on the screen, entitled "DLT eLearning " with a green check mark and statement "Training passed".

It had my passport # on the 'certificate' document (I assume my wife entered this info previous), and stated "Passport No xxxxxxx - Has successfully the renew training - Private driving licence on 28/07/2564. - This certificate will expire in 6 months from the training period. - You may screenshot the certificate and save the queue number via DLT Smart Queue Application."

The last bit about a 'queue' number took me by surprise, and then I noted after taking/saving a screenshot, and seeing the 'certificate' on the screen, there was a further option to make an appointment.  I already had an appointment, so i simply closed down my browser link to the web site.

However I did make a paper print of the screen shot 'certificate' which I took to the DOT. 

Do to my own domestic issues, today I couldn't show up until quite late (about 10:15am, where previous they recommended one show up early) and I was relieved they accepted the paper print certificate. I think without that 'certificate' my arrival may have been too late in the morning.  

I was in/out of DOT in about 40-minutes.  It was not crowded - which made the experience more 'pleasant' than pre-COVID times when the DOT was packed full of people.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Thanks 1

i have had 5 year licenses since 1992, many times my passport number did not match the DL> no problem. l also got 6 years in March this year ( timed it so went 3 days after my birthday) even with watching the video i was in at 8:15 , out at 11:30  (video didn't start till 10)

I assume you still needed the medical ( mine was 100 baht), even though u did not mention it..

10 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

i have had 5 year licenses since 1992, many times my passport number did not match the DL> no problem. l also got 6 years in March this year ( timed it so went 3 days after my birthday) even with watching the video i was in at 8:15 , out at 11:30  (video didn't start till 10)

I assume you still needed the medical ( mine was 100 baht), even though u did not mention it..

Yes, I believe that they use your passport number if you don't present a Thai National ID number such as one might have with a yellow book or a pink ID card.  There don't seem to be any consequences for your driver's license number not matching your current passport number (passports expire and the numbers change upon renewal).  

Yes, if you renew after your driver's license expires you will get 5 years rounded up to your next birthday.  Many people's driver's licenses expire on their birthday, so if you go at least one day after your current license expires you will receive for all practical purposes a license valid for 6 years, rather than 5.  Some people's licenses do not expire on their birthday so not sure if this "trick" works for them or not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zzzzz said:

Yes I did.

Fortunately my Thai nephew is doctor, and my Thai niece is a doctor.   Also even thou age-67 I go jogging for 5km every day, and try hard to stay fit, eat healthy ....  So getting the medical from family who know my fitness was not difficult.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Does anybody has any update on the 5 year DL renewal as mine expired last month and i have to renew both my car and bike DL.

I have a Yellow book and pink ID card and a account on the DLT website.

But the DLT elearning website isn't very clear which module you have to choose and everything in in Thai ????

I believe that the walkin is avalaible again as a online appointmant is impossible to make.

Is there still a long waiting time ? and any other infrmation i should know ?

8 hours ago, merijn said:

Does anybody has any update on the 5 year DL renewal as mine expired last month and i have to renew both my car and bike DL.

I have a Yellow book and pink ID card and a account on the DLT website.

But the DLT elearning website isn't very clear which module you have to choose and everything in in Thai ????

I believe that the walkin is avalaible again as a online appointmant is impossible to make.

Is there still a long waiting time ? and any other infrmation i should know ?

Get a certificate of residency, medical, copies of ur passport and visa and go to the office and make an appt>

https://www.dlt-elearning.com/Passport
day of appt u'll watch the video, take brake, color test and thats it>

6 hours ago, zzzzz said:

Get a certificate of residency, medical, copies of ur passport and visa and go to the office and make an appt>

https://www.dlt-elearning.com/Passport
day of appt u'll watch the video, take brake, color test and thats it>

Thanks for the information.

But the training in the elearning is only in Thai ?

I thought that there was also a english verion or english subtitles.

On 6/27/2023 at 4:16 PM, LivinginKata said:

Yes have english sub titles. 

Strange as the module i'm watching doesn't have any subtitles to it and the questions are in Thai only.

Do you maybe have a screen shot from the elearning module that i have to use ?

6 hours ago, merijn said:

Strange as the module i'm watching doesn't have any subtitles to it and the questions are in Thai only.

Do you maybe have a screen shot from the elearning module that i have to use ?

I watched it over a year ago.  I remember it was in English not sure spoken or sub titles. But I do know that every so often the video would stop and ask a few 3 choice questions (i quess to make sure you are still watching) and everything was in English. 

For the e-learning video, I think it is when you register for your account that it determines if you get the video with the English subtitles or not. May sure you click "for foreigner" (bottom of the 3 boxes) on that very first screen. I just logged in with my foreign passport number and the video definitely has English subtitles. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

ur link:

404 Not Found

You have been unlucky, but do not forget that it is a thai public administration site, not always working properly.....

As said, I managed without any problem to get the appointment, and five minutes ago I connected at the second attempt :

Senza titolo.jpg

• Like 1