Teach me about Apple Music ; downloading , play lists , anything else worthwhile ?

oldcarguy

On 5/30/2021 at 10:39 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

iTunes doesn’t change file formats unless you ask, it’s Apple Music that can give you the higher quality “AIFF files (that) typically contain higher-quality audio than similar MP3 files.”

Yes I agree Apple is shady AF to give you better quality music. ???? 

My format was fine and I never asked for apple to change it---thats why god invented equalizers

2 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

My format was fine and I never asked for apple to change it---thats why god invented equalizers

You didn’t bother to select for it not to be upgraded & an equaliser can’t put back what’s been taken out by compressing to MP3

21 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You didn’t bother to select for it not to be upgraded & an equaliser can’t put back what’s been taken out by compressing to MP3

We agree to disagree..enjoy your apple exclusive formatting----my mp3 are fine  ..woe is me...

3 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

We agree to disagree..enjoy your apple exclusive formatting----my mp3 are fine  ..woe is me...

Not really. I mostly use MP3.

It’s just that you chose to allow Apple to upgrade your files. 
I never have allowed that.

it is a voluntary upgrade. 

Indeed give me spotify any day especially in Thailand its dirt cheap. Plus if you don't mind some advertisements you can have it for free. Only thing is you need an internet connection. Though if you have a paid for account you can download all your songs.

Apple vs Spotify.. give me spotify any day.

Apple Music subscription allows you to play anything from their entire library of music, make playlists, download the tracks locally to your Mac/Windows computer/iPad/iPhone/iPod/TV box running Apple Music (formerly iTunes) app.

There are a few limitations, some which you'll never reach, and some others that to your use case will be very visible. One is a million songs in library. Not terribly likely you'll make playlists with so many tracks. Another is 5 devices linked to same Apple ID account, so you can only play stuff on 5 different devices. Third is more serious for you. While iTunes allows you to purchase music for download, and that music is in lossless or AAC format that has no digital rights management, so it can be transferred to anything, converted to anything... the Apple Music subscription only downloads music in locked up format that only plays inside iTunes/Apple Music app with active subscription. So once subscription is up, they no longer play even they are downloaded. You can't open them with anything else, and without illegal software that taps into some older versions of Apple software to steal decryption tokens and then decrypts files to AAC, ability to play music will be basically gone once subscription expires.

What you still CAN do, if you have a recording device, of course is old style playing from one source and recording on another. I do have some minidiscs recorded via Creative Soundblaster card to minidiscs and they do sound great. Quite honestly, though, with as little as this subscription costs, I don't really have any plans of cancelling it, unless they go the way of Netflix, where stuff I loved keeps on disappearing and being replaced with own production that I am not interested in.

9 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

The OP wanted to learn about Apple Music.....

I guess because he could not be bothered to maintain his own thread, certain characters have taken it over..

I really do not know enough to ask smart questions  , 

Its Thaivisa and there are always battles that creep into discussions ????

Now if I could  find a  link to some play lists that would be nice ,  I   am still listening to AOL streaming that I recorded at Christmas 2007 ,  actually pretty good with maybe one commercial an hour , 

I just started recording the stream when I went to bed and stopped it in the morning , so about 8 hours worth , 

and it was at a low bit rate so it would fit on my 2GB MP3 player.

Yes I am simple , AM radio quality is good enough for my old ears.....

14 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

Now if I could  find a  link to some play lists that would be nice ,  I   am still listening to AOL streaming that I recorded at Christmas 2007 ,  actually pretty good with maybe one commercial an hour , 

I just started recording the stream when I went to bed and stopped it in the morning , so about 8 hours worth , 

Thank you for bringing the thread back on topic. That is what was needed.

Check your PMs

On 6/3/2021 at 4:03 PM, oldcarguy said:

Are you going to reply to your private message or do you plan to wait another thirteen years before you do anything?

On 6/3/2021 at 2:25 PM, robblok said:

Indeed give me spotify any day especially in Thailand its dirt cheap. Plus if you don't mind some advertisements you can have it for free. Only thing is you need an internet connection. Though if you have a paid for account you can download all your songs.

Apple vs Spotify.. give me spotify any day.

so, I should be able to "easily" download a Spotify playlist into my itunes? mostly I listen to music in my car on my ipod... assuming I pay for the service?

Edited by 1FinickyOne

2 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

so, I should be able to "easily" download a Spotify playlist into my itunes? mostly I listen to music in my car on my ipod... assuming I pay for the service?

No idea.. you can make all the playlists you want in the app even download the songs for when there is no connection. Not sure if you can get it to your ipod think your F...ked if you use apple products as in general they make sure you cant use other services. 

Personally I think Apple Music, esp as now its transitioning to lossless is the bees knees. Their huge strength is their music selections by genre. Much much better than Tidal (who just seem to try and push certain genres of music on you (rap, RB, etc). Better than Spotify. Not used Amazon music yet so can't say about them. 

You can download from Apple Music onto an iPhone. So you can download your favourites on wifi and listen to them without using your phone sim account.

Edited by MRToMRT
typo