Alternative to IPad

Maybole

Buy a Surface pro  from Microsoft can add a detachable key pad and also protects the sereen at the same time 

can use as i pad or computer  

can also get a cover from Uag  thats is a stand and a fantastic cover protects well if drop 

• Haha 2

I'm an IT professional and I would go with the iPad as well.

Apple iPads get security and OS updates for 4+ years where Android tablets are lucky to get 1-2 major OS updates. I have owned several different model iPads over the years and have had no issues with the speakers also.

As stated above, the resell value is generally much higher for Apple products. Take a look at some used iPads in your local area to see how they compare to new models.

Lastly, this could be compared to trying to decide between getting her a Hyundia/Kia vs a Honda/Toyota.

I have nothing against Hyundai and Kia, but I'd rather spend a little more money and get (in my opinion) a better product in a Honda or Toyota.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/31/2021 at 3:10 PM, tifino said:

yeah go Android ???? 

from experience with iPads...   the built in speaker system will fail... just a matter of 'when?'   and it happens to all models without prejudice - all one has left is the earphone...  

how can one fill out a .asp online form on an iPad? How can one 'edit' a .pdf proforma? 

None of my iPads ever had a speaker failure, all the way from the 10 year old iPad 3 that still works. & got 5 major system updates. How many Android tablets could say the same?

I’ve never had to fill out a .asp form that I know of but see no reason why it would be a problem. 

I have at least 3 applications that can edit PDF files that aren’t locked and there are more. 

• Like 2

On 5/31/2021 at 1:10 AM, tifino said:

yeah go Android ???? 

from experience with iPads...   the built in speaker system will fail... just a matter of 'when?'   and it happens to all models without prejudice - all one has left is the earphone...  

how can one fill out a .asp online form on an iPad? How can one 'edit' a .pdf proforma? 

Interesting about the speakers. I had an original iPad and an iPad 2 that have been handed down to my daughter and wife. The speaker on the original iPad just quit working and it is over 10 years old. I now have an iPad Air and an iPad Air 2 with no problems so far.

• Like 1

I got a pixelbook go (Google Chrome/Android/Linux OS) from US Amazon shipped here in january, you need to prepay import duty to Amazon, who then deal with customs here, to my delight i got nearly $90 refunded in import duty a few weeks after the device arrived, im very happy with it, reputable reviews say its one of the best devices for the money out there at the moment. The speakers are tiny but the best ive ever heard on a notebook. The entire system and files are all replicated in the cloud, so if it malfunctions, you simply wipe it, and it downloads itself and most of your apps again, just as you left them, brilliant. 

Edited by chalawaan

Had a look, the chromebook looks good. Just no face recognition, which I'd miss as it's on the Samsung, and no 4K screen unless you pay a fortune on top. But otherwise the basic version looks like ideal for app use.

I'm just so happy with the Samsung tablet I can't imagine any other tablet. The OLED display is out of this world.

I think we may live in peak phone, peak tablet time. Hard to imagine them getting much better.

5 hours ago, Logosone said:

You want to get the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 Plus. It's better than the Ipad Pro.

The OPs need is for an apple tablet,

I very much doubt he’s planning on spending the money you suggest,

no android tablet will be ok if the course material is supplied for iPads, which is common in higher education. 

the S7 plus may have given the iPad Pro 2020 a run for most capable but is no comparison to the iPad Pro M1. 
however if all your apps are Android you have to stay with Android and have second best, if they are all in the Apple ecosystem then you need an iPad & if you have the money you can get the best. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Logosone said:

After 4 years you want to buy a new tablet most likely anyway.

Only if you have a lot more money than most, my current daily use iPad is coming up for 6 years old and I’ve used it everyday for teaching and now in retirement. It’s still going strong and will be perfectly usable for a few year yet & is getting current system updates 

• Like 2

On 5/31/2021 at 8:44 AM, Maybole said:

I consider Apple products grossley overpriced, Would any expert suggest an alternative brand please

For the hardware you get, and the equally important software stack, any actual expert probably uses Apple products.

For tablets, in particular, no one has the scale or expertise to compete with Apple on value. On price, sure, you can get something cheaper which looks much like an iPad, but the apps available on Android cannot compare. It is a totally different experience, requiring far more maintenance.

Is ฿10,200 (education price) really considered to be a lot of money for a computing device that she will probably use for hours everyday for more than five years - I have an 8 year old iPad Air sitting right here on my desk, playing videos while I browse this forum.

Exactly how much cheaper are the equivalent Android devices (same screen size etc)?

Don't forget the well-crafted apps that Apple includes such as iMovie, Garageband, Keynote, Pages, Numbers, Swift Playgrounds, iTunes U, Facetime, Voice Memos etc. All free and with zero ads.

Edited by Poet
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, grin said:

Interesting about the speakers. I had an original iPad and an iPad 2 that have been handed down to my daughter and wife. The speaker on the original iPad just quit working and it is over 10 years old. I now have an iPad Air and an iPad Air 2 with no problems so far.

It is a widely known generic weakness of the iPad family (not a Mini nor Air problem ???? )  When the iPad speaker circuitry fails, the Speakers initially go extremely 'scratchy' and then low volume, then eventually zilch... the Sound via Earphone socket is never affected. The Sound via Bluetooth never affected.

I got my lowdown via various 3rd party aftermarket repairers; all the same iPad story, and even our Apple shop openly admitted it (as they do want one to buy a replacement iPad, as the easiest way out for them)  

I bit the bullet with one of Mrs's iPad 3 units, and gave to one of the 3rd party ones, and they later said the entire sound m,anagement circuitry needed replacing in toto... fixed the Sound prob;lem, but unfortunately the repair procedure disruptions to that iPad then went on to booger up the gyro circuitry (no Screen auto rotate any more) 

p.s. in OZ the Sound Repair job costs au$100

- and in Apple... the co$t of a new iPad

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

no android tablet will be ok if the course material is supplied for iPads, which is common in higher education. 

the S7 plus may have given the iPad Pro 2020 a run for most capable but is no comparison to the iPad Pro M1. 
however if all your apps are Android you have to stay with Android and have second best, if they are all in the Apple ecosystem then you need an iPad & if you have the money you can get the best. 

I suggest you read the thread. He is specifically asking for an Ipad alternative.

His daughter only said some apps on the course may be iOs, not all. But that is not a problem, because it is possible to run iOs apps on Android. You just use one of a choice of iOs emulators for Android and you can thus run apple apps on Android. 

Whilst the IPad Pro M1 finally did away with the inferior LC display of the predecessor, it still can not compete with the AMOLED display of the Samsung S7 Plus. 

"Although both the displays are quite impressive, we think Samsung’s OLED still seems to be a better pick over the super-bright screen on the latest iPad Pro. With an infinite contrast ratio that gives way to display deeper blacks and more vibrant colors, an OLED display on Samsung’s premium tablet usually fits for every type of usage (indoor and outdoor)."

https://mynexttablet.com/apple-ipad-pro-2021-vs-galaxy-tab-s7-plus/

So if you want the best and can afford it you'd definitely opt for Samsung and ditch the Ipad. Display is the most important aspect of a tablet by far. And there is nothing better than AMOLED right now.

As usual Samsung include the Stylus pen, whereas with Apple you have to buy it separately.

Only the processor is a touch faster on the M1, but that's irrelevant because Snapdragon is so good no user would ever notice the difference.

Plus Samsung offers Dex, which allows the tablet to act as desktop with mouse, keyboard and monitor connected, so ideal for students. Apple doesn't have it.

The camera of the Samsung S7 Plus has a max 13 MP, the Ipad only has 12 MP. 

But the Samsung S7 Plus killer feature apart from the better AMOLED display is again the Micro SD capacity which of course the Ipad does NOT have. It is recognised that the Samsung also has better file management. Quite important for a student.

Whats more with the Samsung you can seamlessly stream your tablet content easily to your Samsung TV, Apple tablets are more fiddly and Apple don't yet make good TVs.

As for the battery life, the M1 only has 18 W fast charging, the S7 Plus has 45 W fast charging. Again a win for Samsung over Ipad in an important area. For students particularly fast charging is important.

Besides, the M1 was just released on 30 April 2021, whereas the Tab S7  was released a year earlier in August 2020. No doubt the next gen Samsung tablets will be far better still, but the Samsung S7 Plus from 2020 is still better than the IPad M1 from 30 April 2021 in :

1) Display

2) Battery Fast Charging

3) Camera 

4) The all important Micro SD capacity

So Samsung is better, probably best to get used  you have a second best tablet if you own Ipad.

And if the OP wants a cheap option then the Samsung A7 10.4 will give the above 4 at a bargain price the Ipad can never match. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Only if you have a lot more money than most, my current daily use iPad is coming up for 6 years old and I’ve used it everyday for teaching and now in retirement. It’s still going strong and will be perfectly usable for a few year yet & is getting current system updates 

Perfectly usable but without AMOLED display,  45 W fast charging or micro SD card. Sorry, not interested. If I wanted an inferior tablet I'd buy Apple though. But I think I'll stick to my Samsung with AMOLED display, 45 W fast charging and micro SD card capability. You know, 'cause it's better than Ipad.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I suggest you read the thread. He is specifically asking for an Ipad alternative.

Grand daughter says she needs an "IPad" that she can write on for her university course.”

The supposed superiority of your S7 plus is not correct or complete. The iPad Pro can have double the integrated memory of it, the camera SW is far superior the screen real estate is much bigger, the supplied PSU is bigger than the one supplied with the S7, the maximum charging rate is not easy to find but is probably 35W however only a fool will change at full power often as it kills the battery life, that’s why the iPad has a 20W supply in the box. There are no processors remotely close to the M1 in speed and power consumption so, yes you can put in a chip that uses 45w and may be near the M1 but then you need fans and a car battery. 

22 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Even the latest Snapdragon is plenty good enough.

You have to believe that

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Grand daughter says she needs an "IPad" that she can write on for her university course.”

The supposed superiority of your S7 plus is not correct or complete. The iPad Pro can have double the integrated memory of it, the camera SW is far superior the screen real estate is much bigger, the supplied PSU is bigger than the one supplied with the S7, the maximum charging rate is not easy to find but is probably 35W however only a fool will change at full power often as it kills the battery life, that’s why the iPad has a 20W supply in the box. There are no processors remotely close to the M1 in speed and power consumption so, yes you can put in a chip that uses 45w and may be near the M1 but then you need fans and a car battery. 

You have to believe that

The daughter doesn't need an ipad. She can use an Android tablet. Even if there were the odd iOs app there are excellent Android iOs emulators and she can use all the apps she needs on an Android tablet.

I'm afraid the Samsung Tab S7 plus has a better screen than the Ipad Pro:

"Although both the displays are quite impressive, we think Samsung’s OLED still seems to be a better pick over the super-bright screen on the latest iPad Pro. With an infinite contrast ratio that gives way to display deeper blacks and more vibrant colors, an OLED display on Samsung’s premium tablet usually fits for every type of usage (indoor and outdoor)."

I'm afraid display is the most important feature of a tablet. And whilst the Ipad's display is not bad the Tab S7 Plus has an OLED display, which is the measure of all things and just better than an LC display, even a pimped up one as on the latest Ipad. Did you read the above? OLED has infinite contrast ratio. Infinite. The Ipad? Very finite.

Now, the M1 is a fast processor, but that's irrelevant. Even the latest Snapdragon was so fast that using a Tab S7 Plus is as fluid, fast, and seamless an experience as you could imagine, even with 30 apps open. Nobody, but NOBODY would notice a difference with the M1. 

Worst of all whilst Apple has the M1, unfortunately they're incompetent with the software, so they do not get the most out of the M1:

"The launch of the new iPad Pro with M1 chip has once again sparked conversation about how the iPad hardware is vastly outpacing the operating system and software ecosystem that it can run. Many people are setting their hopes on iPadOS 15 at WWDC to announce overhauls to multitasking, external display support and file management to bring iPad productivity closer to what is possible with macOS.

However, there’s an even more direct limitation of iPadOS today for customers hoping to use that high-specced M1 chip for pro apps. It turns out that the operating system on the new iPad Pro limits all third-party apps to a maximum of ~5 GB RAM each."

https://9to5mac.com/2021/05/28/ipad-pro-ram-limits/

Did you catch that? Whilst the Ipad pro has the M1 its operating system limites all third party apps to a maximum of 5GB Ram....awwww...so worse than the Tab S 7 then. Again.

"As Procreate notes in a tweet, it turns out the that the iPad’s operating system only allows an app to use a maximum of ~5 GB of RAM on either the 8 GB RAM or 16 GB RAM iPad Pro. If an app uses more than that, it is immediately force-quit and evicted from memory by the system’s jetsam process.

This means a single pro app is unable to use all of the M1 chip’s resources. The additional RAM found in the 1 TB and 2 TB models will mean that more apps at a time can stay alive in memory for multitasking purposes, but an individual application will behave the same as if it was running on the base model iPad Pro."

So basically no improvement with the M1 because Apple is too incompetent to produce quality software for its shiny processors.

You can stick with your 15 W or 35 W fast charging, I'll take the superfast 45 W fast charging from Samsung any day. No issues with the battery for a long time.

No, I don't have to "believe" that. I know. Because I use a Samsung tablet that has an OLED display, is super fast, super fluid and one can not imagine that the M1 would improve on the speed and fluidity of the experience. Turns out it's not the case anyway, because Apple's software does not allow the M1 tablet to make full use of the M1 chip. I could buy several Ipad tablets but I choose not to, because Samsung's tablet is better.

The greater real estate with 12.9 inch is of course nice, but you can be sure the next Tab from Samsung will be bigger, after all the Tab S7 is from August 2020, and the M1 tablet from April 2021. Yet Tab S7 still has the better display, fast charging, and micro SD card capability. Plus the camera has more MP.

You're living in the past, man. Ipad tablets were the best some time ago. But that is no longer the case now. Apple putting a laptop M1 chip into a tablet which can not fully use it merely shows their desperation. 

Edited by Logosone
  • Thanks 1

can OP clarify whether the Course is at the Uni, or for Online Lecturing at Home? 

yes there is the possibilty of incompatible platforms for running compulsory Apps 

If for use at the Uni itself - maybe there's problems for Androids to Wifi/Bluetooth connect; if the Uni uses a MAC based Network!     

Anybody else noticed that an Android cannot Bluetooth, Wifi Hotspot Connect from an Apple, and vice versa...

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Poet said:

For the hardware you get, and the equally important software stack, any actual expert probably uses Apple products.

For tablets, in particular, no one has the scale or expertise to compete with Apple on value. On price, sure, you can get something cheaper which looks much like an iPad, but the apps available on Android cannot compare. It is a totally different experience, requiring far more maintenance.

Is ฿10,200 (education price) really considered to be a lot of money for a computing device that she will probably use for hours everyday for more than five years - I have an 8 year old iPad Air sitting right here on my desk, playing videos while I browse this forum.

Exactly how much cheaper are the equivalent Android devices (same screen size etc)?

Don't forget the well-crafted apps that Apple includes such as iMovie, Garageband, Keynote, Pages, Numbers, Swift Playgrounds, iTunes U, Facetime, Voice Memos etc. All free and with zero ads.

Any actual expert..are you talking about graphic designers?

The kid needs this only for some writing apps..any reasonably sized tablet would do.

I would buy for her lower end LTE Samsung plus one of these 1 year data sim cards from AIS with 100gb per month.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I would be surprised if a Thai uni runs its educational programs with software only for Apple tablets.

On 6/1/2021 at 11:09 AM, Maybole said:

Granddaughter is adamant that some programmes from her university (Mae Fah Luang) will work only on IPad and she needs a writing facility to reply to the teacher. I think I am stuck.

@Logosone @gearbox

OP suggests that the granddaughter requires an apple product. Maybe there are apps that require iOS and not android, who knows.

She could use an emulator, but the joy of apple is, the apps just work when you press the button. My company has an employees app, the forums are full of issues with users of the android app, developers tell me, it’s down to all the different hardware combinations in these devices. The guys that use iOS never report issues with the app. 

If I wanted an easy life i know what I would chose.

Edited by recom273

1 minute ago, recom273 said:

@Logosone @gearbox

OP suggests that the granddaughter requires an apple product. Maybe there are apps that require iOS and not android, who knows.

I would suggest the grandpa to obtain the name of the app(s) and look in the Google Play Store to see if the granddaughter is not pulling his leg.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, recom273 said:

@Logosone @gearbox

She could use an emulator, but the joy of apple is, the apps just work when you press the button. My company has an employees app, the forums are full of issues with users of the android app, developers tell me, it’s down to all the different hardware combinations in these devices. The guys that use iOS never report issues with the app. 

If I wanted an easy life i know what I would chose.

The guy that uses iOs never reports issues with an app? Really. Turns out they do:

"As Procreate notes in a tweet, it turns out the that the iPad’s operating system only allows an app to use a maximum of ~5 GB of RAM on either the 8 GB RAM or 16 GB RAM iPad Pro. If an app uses more than that, it is immediately force-quit and evicted from memory by the system’s jetsam process.

This means a single pro app is unable to use all of the M1 chip’s resources. The additional RAM found in the 1 TB and 2 TB models will mean that more apps at a time can stay alive in memory for multitasking purposes, but an individual application will behave the same as if it was running on the base model iPad Pro."

Bit unfortunate for Apple to put a M1 chip in their tablet but then have their OS limit use to 5GB so apps can't use all the resources and are thrown out and force-evicted.

But then nobody reports issues with Apple iOs ever.....lol

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I would suggest the grandpa to obtain the name of the app(s) and look in the Google Play Store to see if the granddaughter is not pulling his leg.

Yeah, a wise man would do.

But really, in all honesty, the granddaughter, for whatever reason has said she needs an iOS device, people tend to lose face, families get into rows over less.

12 minutes ago, recom273 said:

the granddaughter, for whatever reason has said she needs an iOS device, people tend to lose face, families get into rows over less.

Except she doesn't of course. Worst case scenario some iOs apps are required, that's what emulators are for. She can run Apple apps on an Android tablet.

She does not need an Apple tablet. Android would work.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 11:09 AM, Maybole said:

Granddaughter is adamant that some programmes from her university (Mae Fah Luang) will work only on IPad and she needs a writing facility to reply to the teacher. I think I am stuck.

I think you are as my nephew also needed an iPad for his university courses. I checked to see if there were alternative apps to use but there weren't, iPad or not passing the year. It's pretty disgusting that poorer students get themselves or their parents into even more debt than needed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, schondie said:

I think you are as my nephew also needed an iPad for his university courses. I checked to see if there were alternative apps to use but there weren't, iPad or not passing the year. It's pretty disgusting that poorer students get themselves or their parents into even more debt than needed.

Well they don't need to. Get an Android tablet and upload an iOs emulator. Easy peasy.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Yeah, a wise man would do.

But really, in all honesty, the granddaughter, for whatever reason has said she needs an iOS device, people tend to lose face, families get into rows over less.

True, if her friends have 50k baht ipads she faces peer pressure to do the same or lose face. If you ask teenagers what phone they want, it would be most of the time the most expensive as long as they are not paying for it.

3 minutes ago, gearbox said:

True, if her friends have 50k baht ipads she faces peer pressure to do the same or lose face. If you ask teenagers what phone they want, it would be most of the time the most expensive as long as they are not paying for it.

Samsung has a US$1091 tablet in its line up. The notion that Ipads are this mythical high end ultra expensive tablet is misplaced. The Tab S7 Plus is more expensive than most Ipads, and it's an Android tablet. But then it's better than most Ipads.

If OP wants a cheaper option then the A7 10.9 would be ideal, it's sold for Eur 197 in Germany. Cheap for a quality tablet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Samsung has a US$1091 tablet in its line up. The notion that Ipads are this mythical high end ultra expensive tablet is misplaced. The Tab S7 Plus is more expensive than most Ipads, and it's an Android tablet. But then it's better than most Ipads.

If OP wants a cheaper option then the A7 10.9 would be ideal, it's sold for Eur 197 in Germany. Cheap for a quality tablet.

There are ipads which are way more than 1K USD. At least in Thailand.

https://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/phone-and-tablet/tablets/ipad?orderBy=price__DESC__5

For the IT people I know it would be an insult to them to suggest they use Apple products. Apple has a closed ecosystem, anyone who cares really about security would use OSS operating system on a laptop or PC.