As innoculations increase - what about those who won't get vaccinated?

Damrongsak

This is from the U.S. but I thought it was something to consider once vaccination rates get up to the halfway point.  Not that I trust the Washington Post, but still ...  Vaccinations rates in the U.S. are going down, and there's a portion of the population who don't want it or can't be bothered for whatever reason.  Or they just don't know about it. 

The unseen covid-19 risk for unvaccinated people ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/interactive/2021/covid-rates-unvaccinated-people/?utm_campaign=subs-paywall-rem&utm_medium=acq-nat&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=interactive-unvaccinated&fbclid=IwAR0xH2SpUm9MySG0eFBdh--q4RBK6XvoWmXhsQamr8Ux5_Oz4wKllzcj2AI

image.png.e52d45cdb097e4f84c55e2388c501cd8.png

Yes, I posted this before.

It is concerning.

It refutes a common misconception that unvaccinated people benefit from vaccinated people.

Another concern, a recent survey showing that Thai people overwhelmingly think they're protected after one dose. In the case of Sinovac particularly, that is incredibly wrong.

The Washington Post is among the most credible news sources in the USA. 69 Pulitzer prizes.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, I posted this before.

It is concerning.

It refutes a common misconception that unvaccinated people benefit from vaccinated people.

Another concern, a recent survey showing that Thai people overwhelmingly think they're protected after one dose. In the case of Sinovac particularly, that is incredibly wrong.

The Washington Post is among the most credible news sources in the USA. 69 Pulitzer prizes.

Thanks, I missed you earlier post.  The virus is going to do what it does.  If it can only spread to the unvaccinated people who may tend to hang out with others of like kind, it will.  Willing victims.

The Wa Po is OK I guess.  Politics aside.  They aren't exactly what you'd find at the supermarket checkout counter with the other tabloids.

My little brother made good money delivering the Washington Post in northern Virginia when he was a kid. He had that paper route for years.

Edited by Damrongsak

1 minute ago, Damrongsak said:

Thanks, I missed you earlier post.  The virus is going to do what it does.  If it can only spread to the unvaccinated people who may tend to hang out with others of like kind, it will.  Willing victims.

The Wa Po is OK I guess.  Politics aside.  They aren't exactly what you'd find at the supermarket checkout counter with the other tabloids.

I think there might be a special problem here unless the misinformation can be corrected that one dose particularly of Sinovac is protective. My point is if the majority of Thais actually believe that, they'll surely drop mitigating measures, getting themselves infected and infecting others. So they'll basically be effectively unvaccinated with the self perception that it's party time. 

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I think there might be a special problem here unless the misinformation can be corrected that one dose particularly of Sinovac is protective. My point is if the majority of Thais actually believe that, they'll surely drop mitigating measures, getting themselves infected and infecting others. So they'll basically be effectively unvaccinated with the self perception that it's party time. 

Are you saying that one dose of Sinovac is not protective? 

First Dose of Chinese Covid-19 Vaccine Offers Little Protection, Chile Learns - WSJ

First Dose of Chinese Covid-19 Vaccine Offers Little Protection, Chile Learns

The country vaccinated at record clip with shots developed by China’s Sinovac, then cases and deaths rose. Health experts say Chile dropped precautions too soon.

You need to wait for weeks after the SECOND dose to have significant protection. So Thailand really needs to gear up a public health information campaign to warn people about this. 

If you have been inoculated with one of the vaccines, why do you care who has not gotten the jab and who hasn't? After all, isn't the jab supposed to protect you against getting the virus? That is a rhetorical question because none of the vaccines will keep you from getting the virus or transmitting it to others... This has been stated by the vaccine manufacturers themselves... The only thing it does is to lessen the symptoms of the virus and prevent a person from entering the "cytokine storm"... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

First Dose of Chinese Covid-19 Vaccine Offers Little Protection, Chile Learns - WSJ

You need to wait for weeks after the SECOND dose to have significant protection. So Thailand really needs to gear up a public health information campaign to warn people about this. 

The WSJ is behind a paywall , and a Rupert Murdock publication so I would take any opinion piece by it with a grain of salt, other than the Chile study there is little research that I can find concerning first jab efficacy but   I know that Sinovac works similarly to AZ and  AZ has been widely enough , and long enough circulated to have been determined to have a 76% first jab efficacy. I realize that sinovac might be lower but I don't believe it to be insignificant. 

According to Bloomberg news, from the limited Chile data 

"Meanwhile, after only one dose, the vaccine prevents about 16% of symptomatic infections, 35% of hospitalizations and 40% of deaths, "

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-16/chile-says-sinovac-shot-67-effective-vs-symptomatic-covid-cases-knkcmpwk

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, only one dose and not waiting enough time to let the body do it's immune thing over time.   Reminds me many years ago of Thais buying antibiotics over the counter.  Just eat a few pills for a couple days until the symptoms subside, then stop.  Why pay more money if you feel OK?  

5 hours ago, NaamGin said:

none of the vaccines will keep you from getting the virus or transmitting it to others... This has been stated by the vaccine manufacturers themselves... The only thing it does is to lessen the symptoms

Complete and total misinformation.

From the US CDC:

"A growing body of evidence indicates that people fully vaccinated with an mRNA vaccine (Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna) are less likely to have asymptomatic infection or to transmit SARS-CoV-2 to others."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/fully-vaccinated-people.html

11 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

From the US CDC:

"A growing body of evidence indicates that people fully vaccinated with an mRNA vaccine (Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna) are less likely to have asymptomatic infection or to transmit SARS-CoV-2 to others."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/fully-vaccinated-people.html

With the CDC's track record on this outbreak, I will wait for a 3rd party peer reviewed scientific study to confirm those claims... In the mean time, I will continue to quote what the drug companies themselves state about the efficacy of the injections... 

1 hour ago, Phillip9 said:

From the US CDC:

And the missing data, rarely reported and probably intentional, is that this would 'likely indicate' this applies to the unvaccinated that have recovered from the virus as well.

New studies indicate long term antibodies found in bone marrow samples of previously infected persons.

I'll take natural immunity, or 2% chance of death, over rushed vaccines any day. No, I'm not antivax.