Covid employment casulties

Last year during the first wave I asked my part time maid not to come in to our apartment for 2 months, to protect herself, her family and us. So for March & April she did not come. I paid her monthly salary in full. She returned at the beginning of June, but in the last week of June she told me she was resigning. I managed to replace her within a couple of weeks, but the new maid was not that good, so I had another choice up my sleeve. She started working in July, and proved to be very efficient and hard working. After Songkran this year, I was concerned about her coming back, because of exposure to many family members during that period. So I paused her, and paid April and May in full. Today she has informed me that she has resigned, after some convoluted story. I had asked her to keep not coming in for another 2 weeks, depending on the covid cases in Bangkok., but that she would be paid in full.

So, twice I've "done the right thing", looking after the maids whom I've liked and who have apparently liked working for me, and protecting them by asking them not to come in, but paying them their salaries in full.

Twice bitten. 

I'm obviously looking for an experienced maid, Thai, 5x per week in Sathorn district, Bangkok. Not requiring to start probably until 1 July, depending on how the case numbers develop in Bangkok over the intervening period. 

Welcome any interest...from Thai nationals.

What did you expect the maids to do while they didn't work for you?

Likely they looked for a new job right away. And why not, two salaries is great.

And then when the new employer was happy with them then they obviously didn't want to quit their new job.

To be fair I understand what you did and why you did it. But from the maids' point of view it also makes a lot of sense to work and make money...

On 6/2/2021 at 5:17 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

What did you expect the maids to do while they didn't work for you?

Likely they looked for a new job right away. And why not, two salaries is great.

And then when the new employer was happy with them then they obviously didn't want to quit their new job.

To be fair I understand what you did and why you did it. But from the maids' point of view it also makes a lot of sense to work and make money...

Yes, indeed. Naivety and false expectation on my part. I hope there will be plenty of pickings as the economy slides into the abyss. I want to wait around until I either get vaccinated here, or go away for the requisite period to get vaccinated abroad and come back. I was prepared to pay her throughout either of these eventualities, so I suppose she did the right thing by only taking 1 month instead of 6.