Do you use a VPN ? Do they really help ?

rumak

5 minutes ago, fangless said:

You have not said what you want the VPN for!  Is it streaming, torrentng, bank log-in or what?

not sure about streaming or torrenting.

but let's say it's for online banking.

if you look at the top left corner of thai visa web site, you will notice a small "lock" icon. that means the web site is encrypted. most likely, your online banking site will also be encrypted. so if a site is encrypted, everything you are doing on that site is not viewable to others.

so no vpn is needed for an encrypted site. 

at least that's my understanding. 

• Like 1

I use VPN to stream AFL games (Aussie Rules Football) from an Australian provider.  Express was no good to me - the provider could detect VPN , so was blocked.  Bullet VPN works well. They change their IP addresses regularly to thwart the blockers (from Kayo website). I think it is a bit of a cat & mouse game.

• Like 2

I use expressVPN. Not needed for 99% of things but can stream ITV, player and Channel 4. Also I will occasionally have a website that fails to download or has loading issues (caused by the government server cache here in Thailand) or is banned by the gov, and then I just switch to Singapore or elsewhere to load it straightaway. Keep in mind though the further away you go from Thailand (i.e. geographically speaking) when you choose the server, the slower the connection get.

One thing I have not been able to figure is express has a Thailand server, not sure what that does or if it blocks prying eyes but its fast.

• Like 2

I use VPN all the time.

I do some trading (shares), on-line banking, download stuff like TV series/movies.

I like to keep a very low profile.

I am not too happy with my NordVPN, can't always get it going when I start my PC in the morning but when it running it's quite good.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, covidiot said:

not sure about streaming or torrenting.

but let's say it's for online banking.

if you look at the top left corner of thai visa web site, you will notice a small "lock" icon. that means the web site is encrypted. most likely, your online banking site will also be encrypted. so if a site is encrypted, everything you are doing on that site is not viewable to others.

so no vpn is needed for an encrypted site. 

at least that's my understanding. 

Lots of banks block access to access outside the home country. It’s not really end to end encryption, although that gives security, your packets can’t be intercepted. Correct.

I don’t have an answer to wether or not they are worth it, trying to view geoblocked video content never seems to work for me. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rumak said:

The movies that i used to get through Kodi  are all "no stream available"  now.

tried the suggested fix but no luck.     

the next "fix"  wanted me to get a VPN 

Watch movies and tv shows on Kodi everyday. Have several addons that do the job nicely and I use real debrid also.

Links work every single time. 

I don't use it for banks in the US. They see the change in the IP address and make me go though their security check. I use it for movie streaming. I played cat and mouse with Amazon Prime for a while but they always seem to catch me after a week or two. Also some news sites won't let you see some video content if you are out of the country.  Same with some government sites. I use Surfshark, very fast on US servers

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Hope you dont play it, imagine winning and being unable to claim, arrgghh nightmare.

I have one ticket on direct debit  and when I win the money goes straight into my UK account.  So far it has worked,  but I've never won more than 100 pounds.  If it was 1 million, that might be problematic.