Using Salary for Visa Extension

I've just got back from a stressful day at Chaeng Watanna.

For the past 4 years I've been extending my Non Imm 'O' marriage visa by using my salary.

Today I was told that I can't use my salary because I work in another province !!!

I live in Don Mueang (Bangkok) and my place of work is Rangsit (Pathum Thani).  Surely this can't be right?

• Confused 1

I think they are mixing up the requirements for extension of stay based upon marriage and those for extension based upon working. You should ask to talk to supervisor.

When you did your previous extensions was it the same as it is now?

• Like 2

I highly doubt that is correct, i mean how does it work with people using pension then as income and stuff like that from foreign countries. This is one of the reasons why i hate immigration. They are often out to make it as uncomfortable as they can for people on visa based on marriage.

• Like 1

I gave them 3 PND 1's for the last 3 months and a PND 91 for the last year. I work for a very large Thai company. All their paperwork was correct, as was mine. 

Maybe the officers were looking for some kind of gift (But I couldn't possibly comment).

39 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think they are mixing up the requirements for extension of stay based upon marriage and those for extension based upon working. You should ask to talk to supervisor.

When you did your previous extensions was it the same as it is now?

I explained that I'd been using the salary method for the past 4 years. The officer suggested I get my employer to get me a work visa.

I told her that I wanted to keep my original visa and also explained that I needed my marriage extension as part of the requirement for my Thai citizen application.

Her only answer was "Why do you want a Thai passport?"

• Haha 1

I was told the same 2 years ago , cannot use Prathum Thani work permit for extension in Korat.. But your case sounds very unfair as they are neighbouring provinces.

Ended up having to go the 400K route without seasoning (They "Helped" me).

I'm confused...  (But that's not uncommon)  Does the OP have a WP to go along with the salary?

Can you get a WP on an visa extension by marriage?  I thought they required extensions based on the WP?

If not, can you claim income in Thailand without a WP?

Edited by impulse

30 minutes ago, impulse said:

Does the OP have a WP to go along with the salary?

Can you get a WP on an visa extension by marriage?  I thought they required extensions based on the WP?

He has a work permit and extension of stay based upon marriage. A work permit can be issued with a non-o visa or extension based upon marriage.

The rules only state that a non immigrant visa is required to have a work permit issued. But some types require proof of the reason the visa or extension was issued. In the case of marriage to Thai a copy of the marriage certificate is needed.

• Like 1

100% correct Ubon Joe.

Just so everyone is clear. I've used this method for the past 4 years. I no longer have the ability to put 400,000 baht into a Thai bank account.

Here's the crazy part. It's only a 15 minute drive from my home to my office every day.

BTW.......That's not me in my avatar 555

Edited by jaiyenyen

21 hours ago, jaiyenyen said:

I explained that I'd been using the salary method for the past 4 years. The officer suggested I get my employer to get me a work visa.

I told her that I wanted to keep my original visa and also explained that I needed my marriage extension as part of the requirement for my Thai citizen application.

Her only answer was "Why do you want a Thai passport?"

A very inappropriate response from the officer. Since the law allows you to apply for Thai citizenship, it is not her business to ask why you wish to apply.

The important thing in applying for Thai citizenship is that you should have continuous visas and work permits without any gaps for the three year qualifying period.  It doesn't matter if you use extensions based on marriage or NON-B visas or change seamlessly from one to the other.

I've just got back from Chaeng Watanna with good news. This time I took along 2 members of the HR dept with me. One of them is on good terms with a high ranking officer. I'm happy to say that everything went very smoothly.

Just goes to show........It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice.