Advice on sending donations to Thai in hospital.

nevcross

I was formerly a longterm resident of Thailand. A good friend(Thai national) of over 20 years standing was knocked off his motorbike in February suffering a fractured skull and broken leg. The leg is proving very difficult to heal, he has just undergone surgery for the 3rd time to fix a plate, previously the plates slipped. The doctors have now advised him that he may require a replacement hip. The driver of the car  that hit him was not insured. My friend has the Government Health scheme-30b but believes this only covers the basic element of his treatment, to continue he believes he will have to pay himself(-this will be confirmed this week), additionally he has obviously had no income for himself and family since the accident. One of his Thai friends is raising funds from his Thai friends, the chap also has many farang friends and acquaintances. I would like to post(on Facebook) and seek donations. What is the best way to do this? to get donations from anywhere in the world to his bank account in Thailand? I , would be very grateful for any advice, Thank you. P

• Haha 1

and use facebook (or any other social media) to get the message out there .... IF you already have a lot of friends.

if you don't have a lot of friends on facebook, find a friend who does and ask them to put it on their page. 

why not get your farang friends to donate , you handle the money, then you double what ever they all donate.

Then you deposit it into his bank account.  I'm sure he'll appreciate your help. 

Hope he recovers fully soon.  

The problem is there are 100 more just like your friend, and folks in Thailand, US, Australia, UK or wherever don't have the free cash to give away like years ago, COVID has caused millions to lose income. Folks watch their saving more closely now.   sorry, but it's the truth ....

4 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

If he is in a govt hospital, they should pay everything including meds and forward appointments.... 

But may be they won't provide the best possible procedure. This may only be available in private hospital.

2 minutes ago, Letseng said:

But may be they won't provide the best possible procedure. This may only be available in private hospital.

not maybe, sure... govt hospitals are surely not as good or as comfortable as swanky private ones.. 

but if you have no money and you can get free service, you might as well take it... 

35 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

not maybe, sure... govt hospitals are surely not as good or as comfortable as swanky private ones.. 

but if you have no money and you can get free service, you might as well take it... 

The concern is that the gub'ment hospitals are required to save his life, but that may or may not include niceties like keeping all his limbs.  I'd rather pay extra to keep a leg than get a free walking cane.  But, of course, that takes money.  Hence the OP.

I can see where a lot of advanced "quality of life" treatment could be considered elective and not covered.  But others may chime in with better info than I have.

Edited by impulse