Paintings shipped to foreign countries

PlastikbinLina

Recently shipping my personal goods including my own created paintings i was advised by a shipping agent that all art work must first be inspected and a charge of 4750 Bart is applicable for every 4 paintings, a Thai govt. order. Reason: to prevent the export of stolen art. I have 50 of my own and found a shipper with a fee of 3000 Baht. I was informed later that the Thai govt. Fee is a nominal fee of 200 Baht. It appears that shipping agents are creating their own price. Has anyone experienced this?

Edited by blackcab
Font normalised

I thought it was only for items with a buddhist connection or motif and not pre 1947? Heres the official pricing:

Fee for Buddha artifacts religious idol Rattanakosin period during the year 1947 to the present 
- Long or above 100 cm to 300 baht per piece 
- long or longer than 50 cm but not exceeding 200 baht per piece 100 cm 
- 50 cm in length or height not exceeding 100 baht per piece 

fee artifacts. Rattanakosin period Between 1947 and the present 
-Length or height over 100 centimeters, 200 baht per piece -Length 
or height over 50 centimeters but not more than 100 centimeters, 100 baht per piece 
-Length or height not more than 50 centimeters per piece 50 baht 

Officially, an export permit must be issued for all paintings. It doesn't matter if you have painted them yourself or if they have been bought. Stupid law, but it is the law. Price on making these can be very high all depend on which company you choose. Some are greedier than others. Or you can make these yourself at The Fine Art Office in Bangkok. Can also be made in Phuket and Chiang Mai.