Thailand concerned at Myanmar violence

Jonathan Fairfield

2021-06-06T035307Z_1_LYNXNPEH5501R_RTROPTP_4_MYANMAR-POLITICS.jpeg

FILE PHOTO: Thick columns of black smoke are seen from Hkamti, Sagaing, Myanmar May 22, 2021 in this picture obtained from social media. News Anassador via REUTERS

(Reuters) - Thailand is concerned at the violence in many parts of Myanmar and wants to see the implementation of steps agreed by Southeast Asian leaders with the military junta to help end the turmoil since the Feb. 1 coup, the foreign ministry said on Sunday.

Myanmar's junta has shown little sign of heeding the five point 'consensus' agreed among the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) in April - which calls for an end to violence, political talks and the naming of a regional special envoy.

"We have been following developments in Myanmar closely with much concern, especially incidents of violence in many parts of the country," foreign ministry spokesperson Tanee Sangrat said in a statement.

He reiterated a call for an end to the violence, the release of all detainees and the "concrete implementation of the Five-Point Consensus" as soon as possible.

The junta has failed to impose control since seizing power from elected leader Aug San Suu Kyi, who is among more than 4,500 people detained since the coup. At least 847 have been killed, a rights group says. The army disputes that figure.

Meanwhile, daily protests against the military have evolved in parts of Myanmar into armed insurrections while decade old ethnic conflicts have flared anew.

Opponents of the junta have voiced frustration at the lack of tough action by ASEAN and say the meeting of two representatives of the group with junta leader Min Aung Hlaing on Friday gave him greater legitimacy but brought no benefit.

Thailand has a longer border with Myanmar than any other country and fears the conflict could bring a flood of refugees. Its government is itself led by a former army chief who seized power in a coup before holding elections.

"Much of what Thailand has done may not have been made public as we believe that quiet and discreet diplomacy between neighbours would be more effective and in line with traditional Thai diplomacy," Tanee said.

(Reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat; Editing by Matthew Tostevin and Michael Perry)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-06-06

So far for all those keyboard warrior tourism experts here on TV who (for over a decade) continued to babble the following, "Watch out Thailand! Burma will be the new number 1 destination in SEA in No TIME and will outperform Thailand like one, two, three..." whenever Burma (Myanmar) announced some "open border" nonsense.

I closely watched this Mumbo Jumbo game for almost 30 years now and Burma hasn't gotten anywhere. Lucky me, never did I fall for those false promises of Burmese "official" sources and the call of overexcited friends who felt they "HAVE TO INVEST IN BURMA NOW", screaming it from the rooftops.

I've seen the erosion of that godforsaken (yet beautiful) country myself, diving reefs there while some local crackheads bomb fished the reefs nearby. All under a government that couldn't care less about their natural resources, i.e. allowing the Burma Banks to be deep line fished to death, sharks being killed by the hundreds of thousands; once a shark encounter paradise for demanding Scuba divers, now turned into a barren rock stripped of any aquatic life...

Now look what has become of that "promising investment opportunity", named Myanmar - a tiger with a broken back, a civil war zone! So, where are all you "Burma, hip hip hooray, good bye Thailand!" smart behinds now?

Maybe time to admit that Thailand was not such a bad place to stay, after all, huh??? We all know that good ol' Siam has many areas for improvement, nothing and nobody is perfect, but given what we see in most other SEA countries (don't get me started on the Philippines), we still are better off here, and by far, I'd say...

Edited by Freigeist365
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, timmyp said:

Those foreign groups don't actually care about promoting democracy of the people, those foreign groups care about setting up a regime that suits their trade industries.

Correctamundo, Timmy P... anyone who has seen Aug San Suu Kyi being best pals with Clinton, and who has matured enough to think outside the box, should be able to understand what the motives behind the destabilisation of Myanmar truly are. Yet, about 90% of the people will always believe the mainstream narrative of any given topic, hence believe that this one is fought over "democracy and human rights"... How naive can people be? It's downright shocking. 

5 hours ago, timmyp said:

This "democracy movement" is the same pattern we've seen before. Legitimate grievances by the people are supported by foreign groups that supposedly promote democracy. Those foreign groups don't actually care about promoting democracy of the people, those foreign groups care about setting up a regime that suits their trade industries. If not successful, those foreign groups are happy for the country to descend into total chaos, thus making Myanmar unusable to China. In the end, of course it's the people who must suffer, the same people that the supposed foreign democracy groups claimed to support.

Myanmar will follow the same pattern as Iraq, Libya, and Syria... and so many Latin American countries). 
Whatever legitimate complaints there were against tyrant Saddam Hussein, there is no way that Iraq is in a better place now. Whatever legitimate complaints there have been against dictator Bashar Assad, there is no way that Syria is in a better place now. Same for Khadhafi, etc. This is what happens when foreign regime-change operations spur internal conflict. 

What is happening in Myanmar is clearly another case of the western media supporting a foreign-backed regime change operation attempting to utilize the otherwise legitimate grievances of people within a country. It will most likely end like Syria is now. It will most likely be a destroyed country with the junta still in power.

Please tell the world which western media is supporting the junta in Myanmar? 

1 hour ago, Freigeist365 said:

Burma, hip hip hooray, good bye Thailand!" smart behinds now?

My lucky "smart behind" shifted into Cambodia just before borders closed and for me it is hip hip hooray Cambodia, good bye Thailand (after 20 years). I like a hassle free life in retirement and there is no bureaucracy or hassle here as in Thailand, especially regarding my retirement visa extension for one year without any stupid 90 day reports or reams of supporting financial paperwork etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, itsari said:

Please tell the world which western media is supporting the junta in Myanmar? 

I think you totally missed my post.

Please tell the world where I suggested that the western media is supporting the junta in Myanmar.

Instability can be very GOOD for powerful countries, as well as some inside the craziness.

Billionaires created now because they are taking and selling all the jade.  "Nationalized."   

Destabilization means Burma will turn into an Iraq.   As planned.   Give it a few more decades to get back to zero.    

This is a game played by the Illuminati.   I was given 100,000 bitcoins to never tell the real details......

watch TV, read the internet, and keep your "mind" like little sheepies.............Let the big boys do the thinking.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

My lucky "smart behind" shifted into Cambodia just before borders closed and for me it is hip hip hooray Cambodia, good bye Thailand (after 20 years). I like a hassle free life in retirement and there is no bureaucracy or hassle here as in Thailand, especially regarding my retirement visa extension for one year without any stupid 90 day reports or reams of supporting financial paperwork etc. 

Thanks for sharing, Burma Bill - good to know! I went to Cambodia about 10 years ago but it did not really appeal to me... Perhaps I might have been in the wrong areas, visiting the killing fields and so on. I have fond memories of the nightlife there, though ???? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1