Buying stocks in Asia

You need a broker in Thailand.

There are derivatives that can give you exposure to Thai stocks without needing a broker if you have a relationship with a bank here, or if you just want broad exposure you can use a fund in your home country that invests in Thailand.

13 hours ago, toast1 said:

Is it possible for a person in Europe to buy stocks and funds in Malaysia and Thailand, without having to go through a broker?

No.

12 hours ago, wprime said:

Not for Malaysian stocks.  A few international brokers provide access to the Bursa Malaysia, such as Saxo.

On 6/9/2021 at 6:59 PM, wprime said:

There are derivatives that can give you exposure to Thai stocks without needing a broker if you have a relationship with a bank here, or if you just want broad exposure you can use a fund in your home country that invests in Thailand.

what about for a Thai person buying mutual funds or etfs in USA? Is this possible through a Thai bank too? or any other means? I want to set my niece up with an investment account... 

thanks.

23 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

what about for a Thai person buying mutual funds or etfs in USA? Is this possible through a Thai bank too? or any other means? I want to set my niece up with an investment account... 

thanks.

SCB can setup an account to buy US funds. Other banks probably offer the same. If she's just buying ETFs (as opposed to stock-picking), she can just buy into Thai mutual funds that invest in foreign markets. Many banks offer these. They tend to have higher management fees (compared to US funds) so if she has a lot of capital then trading directly into US-listed ETFs would be better. If she has less capital but wants to deposit funds frequently then a local mutual fund may be better.

Edited by wprime
  • Thanks 1