Vietnam Visa update - big changes

On 6/9/2021 at 8:53 PM, connda said:

Pity guys married to Vietnamese women.  No "spouse visa" that I'm aware of.  Worse than Thailand.  I wonder how many guys with Vietnamese wives are having their families broken up.  ????  Sad.

Actually we get a 5 year visa, how long is it in Thailand again?

I see someone already answered this.

Edited by LongTimeLurker
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 8:34 PM, La Quenta said:

The vast majority of those whose visa has been 'flagged' are being asked to leave the country within 15 days on an exit visa (which costs additional fees). Its basically a mass deportation. The deportees largely consist of retirees, digital nomads, workers whose workplace 1. improperly processed work permits or 2. didnt do it at all, or 3. used a dodgy agent to process (all unbelieveably common).

Source please.

You're basically saying that they are requesting people who have illegally stayed to leave?

And as for needing an exit visa? Sounds BS to me,you just leave when your current entry visa expires.

Similar BS has been posted in this thread.

Edited by LongTimeLurker
Added another link

2 minutes ago, SVC Porter said:

I've had a number of Job interviews for work in Vietnam recently and another on Tuesday coming. So far they've all indicated that visas are not a problem. I'll wait and see when I decide if I'm taking up any of the current offers!

I'm afraid you are being mislead. 

https://www.vietnam-briefing.com/news/vietnams-entry-procedures-foreign-employees-amid-pandemic.html/

It might take some time before you can get approved to work and enter. 

@La Quenta four posts above, is absolutely correct. But the clean-out has been going on for at least 4-5 years.  It used to be easy to buy a 1-year "business" visa for about $350. Then they slapped a six-month limit on "business" visas and charged the same as a 1-year. Then it became harder and harder till you could only get a 3-month visa from an agent inside the country. I experienced this, as did others.

Then in November, 2019, the legislative assembly passed multiple amendments to the immigration law, to become effective July 1, 2020. Well before this move and after that, long-stayers were being culled. Many reports of people arriving back in VN and having their "business" visas revoked on the spot, fined and sent packing -- this is where the exit visa started appearing.  There were multiple video and expat forum reports. Those in the know started warning people they were taking a big risk buying "business" visas that were hooked up with agents' ghost companies.

With the amendments, Tourist visas were left at 90 days but you had to get a new residence stamp every 30 days. (Of course, none has been sold in a long time due to the pandemic.) At day 90, you had to leave. The stated reason was to end the transient English teachers and many others who were working without a business visa or work permit. Don't just think westerners. Chinese and Koreans were also targeted. 

Now they've upped the enforcement. There are multiple YouTube video reports of people being denied extensions even with work permits. At least two of the vids say "thousands" are being denied and deported. Others state hundreds have been denied. Either way it's a deliberate move by the authorities. 

As La Quenta says: 

Your take-away from this is that living in Vietnam as a retiree, digital nomad or long-term traveller is until further notice totally unviable. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
Details
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2021 at 1:52 PM, La Quenta said:

Yes, I can assure you 15 day exit Visas do exist in Vietnam, however they are only enacted when immigration have decided not to renew your existing visa. 

OK, so same as the Thai 7 day exit visa when your regular visa is up and they grant you a temporary extension to pack your bags and go.

On 6/20/2021 at 1:52 PM, La Quenta said:

Your take-away from this is that living in Vietnam as a retiree, digital nomad or long-term traveller is until further notice totally unviable. 

None of those categories are legitimate long stay visas in Viet Nam so have always been unviable.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

On 6/20/2021 at 1:27 PM, LongTimeLurker said:

Source please.

You're basically saying that they are requesting people who have illegally stayed to leave?

And as for needing an exit visa? Sounds BS to me,you just leave when your current entry visa expires.

Similar BS has been posted in this thread.

Often the final extension in Vietnam is issued and described as an "exit visa" . that is a form of notice that it is not an extension but a notice to leave by a certain date. As a matter of total irony and contradiction I had an "exit visa" that was renewed as an inflagged extension the day before my exit. No more  requirement to leave, This is why it is harder to be dogmatic about Vietnam immigration as it is not consistent. I understand I am not the only one  

• 3 weeks later...

The Vietnam apologists are still dreaming its the promised land even though they have taken Thailand's "they don't want us here" and ramped it up 1000 %

A land of xenophobic communists what an amazing combo! 

On 6/19/2021 at 11:57 PM, SVC Porter said:

I've had a number of Job interviews for work in Vietnam recently and another on Tuesday coming. So far they've all indicated that visas are not a problem. I'll wait and see when I decide if I'm taking up any of the current offers!

They definitely want to encourage sponsored work visas.  That's nothing new.  It is also not a problem staying in Vietnam if you are married to a Vietnamese citizen.  This thread is mostly talking about everyone else which is probably the vast majority.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 2:29 AM, madmen said:

The Vietnam apologists are still dreaming its the promised land even though they have taken Thailand's "they don't want us here" and ramped it up 1000 %

A land of xenophobic communists what an amazing combo! 

It's not the promised land, but it has many benefits over Thailand. I much prefer it in many regards (whilst still liking Thailand a lot)

I disagree on the 'don't want us here' bit. Thailand officials have openly said xenophobic statements time and time again, as well as the tiered pricing issue etc. You don't get any of that in Vietnam. There is an element of it in Vietnam, but Thailand is more xeno in my experience. 

Using Communism as a slur is not really relevant. Vietnam does not operate as a Commuinist Society. It's very much free market Capitalism these days. Aside from the one party state (which is the status quo in all of SE asia) the Communistic elements of society fall more and more away every year. 

You either have never been to Vietnam for any length of time, or you don't understand Vietnam. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, La Quenta said:

It's not the promised land, but it has many benefits over Thailand. I much prefer it in many regards (whilst still liking Thailand a lot)

I disagree on the 'don't want us here' bit. Thailand officials have openly said xenophobic statements time and time again, as well as the tiered pricing issue etc. You don't get any of that in Vietnam. There is an element of it in Vietnam, but Thailand is more xeno in my experience. 

Using Communism as a slur is not really relevant. Vietnam does not operate as a Commuinist Society. It's very much free market Capitalism these days. Aside from the one party state (which is the status quo in all of SE asia) the Communistic elements of society fall more and more away every year. 

You either have never been to Vietnam for any length of time, or you don't understand Vietnam. 

They are no longer issuing long stay  visas for foreigners What is it you don't  understand about xenophobia? 

Communists with undesirable and indisputable shocking human rights record 

Good luck if you are unfortunate enough to end up in the legal system with a false accusation. 

To bad if you own property their say goodbye to that with no way to stay 

When are you leaving.? Oh wait of course you can't because you have a pet cat. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, La Quenta said:

No, they are issuing long stay Visas it you obtain a work permit. It's just that work permits are not obtainable it you are retired or a digital nomad because you need a sponsor company. That isn't xenophobia. It's essentially a change in the migration/employment law. 

The Thai legal system and human rights record is no better. If poor human rights records bother you, then SE Asia is probably not the place for you. It's something you have to accept if you are going to live here. 

Also, if you are a foreigner buying property in Thailand or Vietnam (or most of SE Asia), you probably need your head read. Way too much risk to be ploughing your hard earned money into. I personally keep most of my money offshore, and so should you until local systems can give you confidence and security . Property wise, Singapore or Malaysia are the only worthwhile options with solid consumer protections to give peace of mind. Forget about anything else, not worth it. 

I'm not leaving - I have a work permit and i'm a professional. Plus I love the country. Why would I leave?

Thailand and Vietnam have the same human rights record. You must be joking. 

Google is your friend get educated 

Don't put Thailand in the same basket as Vietnam. You can still stay with your family here and return to your condo. 

Why do you have such as hard on for Vietnam anyway Just another hypocrite still living here.

Vietnam Is a total 3rd world, War battered disaster. Mate just marry a Vietnamese girl and just go. 

5 hours ago, madmen said:

Thailand and Vietnam have the same human rights record. You must be joking. 

Google is your friend get educated  

No i'm not joking. You get educated ( https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/freedom-index-by-country) - there is a difference but it's negligible. Considering Thailand never had colonialisation or extended war time to deal with, it's interesting that Thailand still ranks so poorly.
On Corruptions index, they are totally identical (https://www.transparency.org/en/cpi/2020/index/tha

Don't put Thailand in the same basket as Vietnam.

Nothing I have said about Thailand is untrue. If you think so, prove it.

And I like Thailand as well - im not sure why you think i'm attacking Thailand just because I happen to prefer Vietnam.

You've arced up massively for some reason, and it is really not warranted. 

You can still stay with your family here and return to your condo

Really not sure what this means.

Why do you have such as hard on for Vietnam anyway

Because i've lived in Vietnam for years and I like it. I'm still here.

Just another hypocrite still living here.

Wat?

Vietnam Is a total 3rd world, War battered disaster.

I see you've clearly never visited or lived in Vietnam. So you clearly aren't qualified to comment at all. 

Edited by La Quenta
  • Like 2

On 7/19/2021 at 7:06 PM, La Quenta said:

No i'm not joking. You get educated ( https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/freedom-index-by-country) - there is a difference but it's negligible. Considering Thailand never had colonialisation or extended war time to deal with, it's interesting that Thailand still ranks so poorly.
On Corruptions index, they are totally identical (https://www.transparency.org/en/cpi/2020/index/tha

Nothing I have said about Thailand is untrue. If you think so, prove it.

And I like Thailand as well - im not sure why you think i'm attacking Thailand just because I happen to prefer Vietnam.

You've arced up massively for some reason, and it is really not warranted. 

Really not sure what this means.

Because i've lived in Vietnam for years and I like it. I'm still here.

Wat?

I see you've clearly never visited or lived in Vietnam. So you clearly aren't qualified to comment at all. 

Not sure Mr La Quenta why you are responding Doesn't the name " Madmen " give the show away? Otherwise your points are good ones made to some one who refuses to listen 

• Like 2

On 6/9/2021 at 9:55 PM, gearbox said:

Vietnam? Have you met any Aussies from Vietnamese descent? They have East Asian mentality, very little in common with Thailand or Cambodia. They value education and hard work, apparently they think allowing low class westerners to live there is not going to contribute much for their development. As they get richer those were going to drop out anyway, why the westerners don't retire in Singapore or South Korea? Because they can't afford it.

This isnt true lmao.. You cant even smoke a cigarette in the streets of singapore, and both singa + malaysia doesnt have a nice nightlife so theres no point going there unless you just wanna take pictures LOL

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 12:13 AM, shdmn said:

They definitely want to encourage sponsored work visas.  That's nothing new.  It is also not a problem staying in Vietnam if you are married to a Vietnamese citizen.  This thread is mostly talking about everyone else which is probably the vast majority.

Have you accepted any job offers yet ? just wondering . As every person I have talked to recently say that I must be in the Country to apply for a job.

On 8/11/2021 at 2:06 PM, thaitom said:

Have you accepted any job offers yet ? just wondering . As every person I have talked to recently say that I must be in the Country to apply for a job.

You aren't responding to my post, but i'm the OP. 

Yes correct - unless you are 'in-country' your chances of getting a visa are currently almost nil.

At the moment, aside from Diplomatic Staff, or perhaps Tier 3 investors and above - I don't believe any foreigners can enter Vietnam until further notice. When those restrictions do lift, the issue of requiring a work visa (applied for by the company who wants to employ you) is basically a non-negotiable for the forseeable future. 

Edited by La Quenta

1 hour ago, La Quenta said:

You aren't responding to my post, but i'm the OP. 

Yes correct - unless you are 'in-country' your chances of getting a visa are currently almost nil.

At the moment, aside from Diplomatic Staff, or perhaps Tier 3 investors and above - I don't believe any foreigners can enter Vietnam until further notice. When those restrictions do lift, the issue of requiring a work visa (applied for by the company who wants to employ you) is basically a non-negotiable for the forseeable future. 

Thank you for the information. 

25 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

In my experience, Thailand's Muslims are easier to be around with, friendlier, and better educated than the rest of Thailand's population.

Yeah, the Muslim = Bad rhetoric is pretty childish. 

Cambodia is a good example: The Muslim Cham's have a habit of respecting others property, whereas the Buddhist Khmer majority have a bad habit of stealing anything that isn't nailed down. 

On 6/20/2021 at 2:52 PM, La Quenta said:

Youtube/Facebook/Twitter/Reddit, news sources like VNExpress International. Many sources verify it. 

Why are you calling it BS? I've been working professionally in VN for over half a decade. If you are outside of VN and calling it BS, the onus is on you to explain your position. 

Yes, I can assure you 15 day exit Visas do exist in Vietnam, however they are only enacted when immigration have decided not to renew your existing visa. 

To clarify, they are requesting the majority of those on an existing business visa or tourist visa (which are the only two types you can get unless you have a TRC) must leave upon being presented for renewal. Now as I said, this is applying to people who are working & not working, legal and illegal.

As the weeks have passed, it has become evident that factors including your country of origin, and where you entered Vietnam (even if this was before Covid) can also be factors in your risk for deportation. 

Learnt one thing from this fiasco  ... n that is the need to go to a place that gives us the legal status to stay for the long term, otherwise all bets r off 
Been to almost all the ASEAN countries numerous times n i must say VN is the one that gives me the worse impression as their immigration officers act like un-educated gangsters irregardless of gender . Its the only place that strives to make me feel unwelcome right from the start when i pass thru immigration .

Was initially attracted by the simple life style n the fairer skin women but was glad i did not fall for it n end up wasting my time there for any extended duration.

They previously had back door TSPs n other visa extension programs that were pedaled by shops opened by relatives of the immigration officials who signed on them n made tons of $ from it. 
The communist setup typically operate on pool sharing basis where the bribe $ is shared among all with the higher ups getting a bigger cut .
There is something called "honor among thieves". You are supposed to do your part after receiving the $ n not unethically turn against the people who paid you by blacklisting them n demanding a ransom for them to be whitelisted after the duration of the TSP is up .
This is the biggest turn OFF for me for rarely in any of the other ASEAN countries or elsewhere will u find people who behave this way;  n these immigration officers r supposed to be educated folks from renown VN universities  .

So it will be Thailand(TL) or Malaysia(MY) for me in future as Cambodia n the Philippines r too unsafe . Both of these have visas that will allow me to stay there legally. 
MY is good in having a 10 year retirement visa (RV), the liquor n cigarettes r expensive but u can homebrew the former if desired , dodgy joints r not openly advertised like in TL but r super easy to find if one makes an effort to search  
TL has the elite, student n volunteer visa that can be easily arranged thru visa agents n one can stay there till one hits retirement age n apply for the RV. 
At least the people issuing such visas in the above two countries r honorable  .., not like the scums in VN

Edited by relax33

On 6/9/2021 at 11:36 PM, mfd101 said:

I'm not sure why people are so surprised that up-and-coming Third World countries full of hard-working energetic people are not particularly interested in non-rich Western residents. If you look at your own home countries, you'll find that mostly they're not much different in attitude.

I'm not across the details of entry to Oz as I'm a citizen but basically if you're not in the main categories (family reunion, refugee (however defined), paying job in an area of skilled labour shortage, or minimum of something like $2 or more millions to invest) then your chances of getting in for more than a few weeks as a tourist are slight. If you announced that you wanted to retire there on nothing more than, say, a British pension, they wouldn't even give you the forms to fill in.

The difference in the American experience and the norm in Asia, is that those trying to come into America have less income than the norm and even the lower income expats coming to Asia have a HIGHER income than the locals. This is a potential win/win situation for all concerned, but there is always government to throw a spanner into the works.

• 7 months later...
19 hours ago, kaleyho said:

Hello

Does anyone know if US citizens can apply for tourist visa (E visa or visa on arrival)? I am get conflicting information.

I'm not American but. . . .

Yes, you can get a 30-day tourist visa (non-extendable!) and pay the small fee. The note on this graphic about visa exemptions for 13 nationalities is not meant to exclude all other nationalities. The exempted ones don't need to pay. But the rest of us must pay the visa fee. It's online at https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn. (NB: I keep getting Site Can't Be Reached. My guess is it's so busy it can't handle the volume. I tripled checked the URL so it's correct. So many scam sites.) 

Also note, lots of reports on FB Vietnam Legal Group of people getting their e-visas to enter VN. 

Vietnam Entry Rules 03:2022.jpeg

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
More details
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2021 at 12:25 AM, Nickelbeer said:

The difference in the American experience and the norm in Asia, is that those trying to come into America have less income than the norm and even the lower income expats coming to Asia have a HIGHER income than the locals. This is a potential win/win situation for all concerned, but there is always government to throw a spanner into the works.

Just look at how devastated Thailand now is without millions of backpackers.