Vietnam Visa update - big changes

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Laughable that Thailand is trying to target rich ex-pats and tourists. Rich people want luxury, not stinking khlongs, rodents in the streets at night, blatant prostitution, beaches strewn with trash a

Honestly, these days, the US seems to be far more in the grip of Communism than Vietnam. Those "50 million motorbikes beeping the horn all at the same time without even a break" were not on their w

On the contrary, day to day life is superior to Thailand imo. It's far more eastern, much more of an adventure than Thailand. It's got that French feel in the food, coffee and architecture than Thaila

I'd be interested to know why Vietnam has changed tack or is this no surprise. I get JT says 'the government just isn't into this', but why not?? Anyway, it's news to me, but I'm not up to speed Vietnam-wise.................

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, connda said:

Pity guys married to Vietnamese women.  No "spouse visa" that I'm aware of.  Worse than Thailand.  I wonder how many guys with Vietnamese wives are having their families broken up.  🥺  Sad.

Hmm. That I don't know about but I assumed that they did have allowances based on family. 

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Vietnam is a serious country. It was obvious before that culturally they're very much into clearly productive foreigners but very indifferent to long term tourists, people claiming B.S. businesses for visa purposes, and retirees. Most countries in the world don't have a retirement visa! I don't know exactly what triggered this total disaster for so many expats there, but I think it's probably related to ... guess it ... Covid-19. 

Cheers for the insight..................

• Haha 1
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, connda said:

Pity guys married to Vietnamese women.  No "spouse visa" that I'm aware of.  Worse than Thailand.  I wonder how many guys with Vietnamese wives are having their families broken up.  🥺  Sad.

Hi, a couple of friends of mine who have Vietnamese wife's get a 5 year visa based on marriage. I'm not sure whether this entitles them to stay for 5 years without exiting and then re-entering I need to ask them. 

Edited by GrahamJ
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, Poet said:

The so-called mass deportations are simply an ending of the pandemic concession that allowed many foreigners to stay far longer than usual.

They are also clearing up the mess of special visas sold by agents, including dodgy business and work permits via companies set up only for that purpose.

Stressful for the folks caught up in it but what did they expect?

The pandemic put everything on pause for a year or so, but this process was clearly underway long before the pandemic.

Don't get me wrong, I think Vietnam is terrific, better than Thailand, but sadly they are not interested in longterm guests.

Better than Thailand in what way? They despise westerners at a whole new level. It's just a 3rd world dump on par with Cambodia 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
31 minutes ago, thaitero said:

So one can be tourist for 30 days,,

What sort of rule there is to be 30 day tourist again after first 30 touristdays ?

Up until this April, there were options to get a permit (with just a Degree, no other caveats) with 2-3 year resident card. Also 3 month business and 3 month tourist visas.

The difference now - work permits are much trickier to get all of a sudden, and only 1 month tourist visas and almost all the business visas are being eradicated. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, madmen said:

My biggest takeaway was 50 million motorbikes beeping the horn all at the same time without even a break.

True in the cities, absolutely obnoxious.  Outside of the cities, not too bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Vietnam? Have you met any Aussies from Vietnamese descent? They have East Asian mentality, very little in common with Thailand or Cambodia. They value education and hard work, apparently they think allowing low class westerners to live there is not going to contribute much for their development. As they get richer those were going to drop out anyway, why the westerners don't retire in Singapore or South Korea? Because they can't afford it.

Just wow. The Vietnamese in Australia are huge mafia and drug gangs that were brutal in the extreme. Just Google it 

4 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

If I were struggling in Vietnam, I'd just go to Cambodia.

Cambodia still has relatively "friendly" visa requirements, it's pretty easy to stay there long-term.

I'd love to know why Vietnam is trying to make things so hard for foreigners, especially given the current situation. If anything it is making me want to look at backup options in case Thailand starts doing the same thing.

Definitely look up back up options but I don't see Thailand doing what Vietnam did. The trend I see in Thailand is trying to attract richer and richer expats though. Whether that adds up to an over zealous "filtering" of less rich expats remains to be seen. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, gearbox said:

The options for the western low class in SE Asia are slowly shrinking. Where to now? Vietnam kicking them out, Thailand according to TVF is getting worse and worse, Myanmar under coup, Cambodia taken over by the Chinese, Malaysia expensive, Indonesia muslim, India they are drinking one beer with 4 straws, Philippines crime and bad food..looks like only PNG left!

Cambodia and Philippines (when they open again). I suppose Laos for more pioneer types.

• Like 1