Twelve arrest warrants expected in "hazing" death at Thai university

webfact

8pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Deputy chief of the metropolitan police Pol Maj-Gen Piya Tawichai attended a one and a half hour meeting with officials at an eastern area university.

This followed the death of 22 year old Wiraphat "Pleum" Tamklang in an apparent hazing case, reported Daily News.

Hazing is the practice of older students demanding that younger ones entering a new year perform certain tasks or activities, notes Thaivisa. 

These can be demeaning or in some cases downright dangerous and have caused death and serious injury in the past. 

The police have decided there is enough evidence from CCTV and  witness statements for them to pursue arrest warrants against 12 students from the third year.

8pm2.jpg

Picture Daily News

Piya said that the case was related to "rap nong mai" (hazing) carried out by elder pupils punishing second year students in relation to their receiving of year one students. 

Kicking was involved. Some were female. 

In addition investigations are underway to discover if staff at the university are responsible for dereliction of a duty of care in permitting the hazing to occur.

This could result in staff losing their jobs. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-06-10

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, webfact said:

Piya said that the case was related to "rap nong mai" (hazing) carried out by elder pupils punishing second year students in relation to their receiving of year one students. 

Kicking was involved. Some were female. 

Techno school. Figures. 

This is just so wrong on any level and should be mandatory scratched out by any school. This was on the Thai news 2 days ago. CC tv showed them carrying the body out by four people each holding an arm and leg. Kid was 22 and an engineering student. looked like a nice kid in his photo.

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Incredibly sad, but unlikely to stop especially when you consider that the military who run the country set a terrible example when they also partake in this practice on it's young recruits.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46282988

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hazing_deaths_in_the_United_States

https://www.vice.com/en/article/9k485a/the-tragic-story-of-the-british-student-who-died-during-an-initiation-ritual

Sorry i want to put some Dutch hazing deaths here too but its in Dutch so i can't 

But suffice to say its not an Thai military thing but something that happens in the US the UK the Netherlands too.

We should not act too superior.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, robblok said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46282988

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hazing_deaths_in_the_United_States

https://www.vice.com/en/article/9k485a/the-tragic-story-of-the-british-student-who-died-during-an-initiation-ritual

Sorry i want to put some Dutch hazing deaths here too but its in Dutch so i can't 

But suffice to say its not an Thai military thing but something that happens in the US the UK the Netherlands too.

We should not act too superior.

Please stay on topic. This is about a hazing death at a Thai university. Just because it also happens outside Thailand doesn't make it okay.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

This is the result of the bullying practices perpetrated by teachers in Thai Schools. These people have learned at school that violence towards 'inferiors' is permitted and actually encouraged. The Bullied often become the future bullies

Edited by RobU
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, RobU said:

This is the result of the bullying practices perpetrated by teachers in Thai Schools. These people have learned at school that violence towards 'inferiors' is permitted and actually encouraged. The Bullied often become the future bullies

If that were true.. then how do you explain it in the USA (deaths there too) Uk (also deaths) Netherlands (also deaths). I don't think your explanation is correct. But I can't give you an other explanation but given the fact that it happens in the west too where violence is not encouraged and permitted your conclusion is not full proof.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

This hazing is heavy in Asia where it is used to reinforce the most important sociocultural concept - hierarchy. It will not stop. They are predisposed to it.

Of course it will stop. If it happens then the University or college staff responsible for new students should automatically be jailed for a minimum of 1 year and lose their jobs and never be allowed a similar job in education again. The senior students should automatically sacked from the uni or college, never allowed any more schooling, and a minimum 5 year jail sentence.

Make the rules and punishments hard and enforce them every time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Of course it will stop. If it happens then the University or college staff responsible for new students should automatically be jailed for a minimum of 1 year and lose their jobs and never be allowed a similar job in education again. The senior students should automatically sacked from the uni or college, never allowed any more schooling, and a minimum 5 year jail sentence.

Make the rules and punishments hard and enforce them every time.

Is that the price of a life? 1 or 5 years and loose your position?

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

In addition investigations are underway to discover if staff at the university are responsible for dereliction of a duty of care in permitting the hazing to occur.

The very fact that this is a recurring issue, which has not been dealt with by university staff,  indicates a complete lack of interest. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Freigeist365 said:

Just sad to see how low some of our Homos Sapiens species can go. Let's hope those empathy-depraved subhumans will face life sentences.

Maybe some Pithecanthropus genes got through

2 hours ago, JWRC said:

Is that the price of a life? 1 or 5 years and loose your position?

Think about all the people killed in road crashes where they are the victim. Very few of the drivers involved go to jail, so what IS a life worth in Thailand?

Well the Uni or college staff are rarely physically involved though the responsibility belongs to them. losing the position would automatically bar you from any position in the education system for the rest of your life.

5 years in jail and being kicked out of Uni or college and never getting a degree rules you out of a good job for life.

I don't expect that anybody thought that he would die so the best case for the police would be involuntary manslaughter. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

This hazing is heavy in Asia where it is used to reinforce the most important sociocultural concept - hierarchy. It will not stop. They are predisposed to it.

Popular in The Philippines too, where (my guess) they copy their fellows in the US. Not much in Indonesia or Malaysia.

Not at all common in Italy where I am from, never heard, never seen any episode in many years of High School and University, never heard from any friend, although my mum used to tell me hazing was present in the 30s/40s.

Used to be normal practice for rookies in the Italian Army on the first 3 months - only until it has been mandatory service. 

21 hours ago, robblok said:

If that were true.. then how do you explain it in the USA (deaths there too) Uk (also deaths) Netherlands (also deaths). I don't think your explanation is correct. But I can't give you an other explanation but given the fact that it happens in the west too where violence is not encouraged and permitted your conclusion is not full proof.

Unfortunately the rules in the UK are inadequate they do not stop teachers from humiliating their pupils at will, this is taken by 'the favourites' to mean that the humiliated child is fair game for peer bullying and degradation. Bullying by teachers has not been stamped out in the west it is merely more subtle and less difficult to prove. One year as an information manager at a large school listening to the comments of some (usually male) teachers taught me this. The children know exactly what is happening and know that the punishment meted out by their peers is effectively on behalf of their teacher