Cleaning Parquet Floors

bkkmei

Hi

apologies if this is the wrong forum or seems a daft question, but.... how do you clean parquet floors? I've heard that using a wet mop can be really bad for the floor. So do you use one of these wide sweeper things with wooly threads, or a mop squeezed of water as much as poss, or.....?

thanks for any help

It depends on what kind of finish you have on your floors. If you have a good coat of polyurethane then damp mopping is fine....you just dont' want to have the mop so wet that water oozes out and seeps into the cracks between the pieces of wood....at least that's my view on this...others may have different opinions of course.

I prefer dry microfibre cloth - moisture only if neccessary.

At Robinson you can even buy single use dry and wet microfibre tissue complete with a simple "mop" contraption to attach the cloth. I use this contraption, but with reusable microfibre cloths. :o

Edited by typist

Hi

apologies if this is the wrong forum or seems a daft question, but.... how do you clean parquet floors? I've heard that using a wet mop can be really bad for the floor. So do you use one of these wide sweeper things with wooly threads, or a mop squeezed of water as much as poss, or.....?

thanks for any help

Hi,

I've seen just the thing for u. They are a pair of slippers with those woollthreads u mentioned above as soles. They are meant for kids who can happily run amock not knowing that they are shining the floors at the same time. If u don't have kids then your girl/boy friend could do the same (but don't tell them in case they start charging for a maid service). Failing that u could wear them yourself. For really sad cases, they could be easily made out of one of those "sweeper things with wooly threads". One per foot if your feet are outsized. Then you could pace endlessly around ther room knowing u are achieving at the same time.

Tyke - sounds ideal! actually I have a baby on the way and I once saw on tv a Japanese invention similar to the slippers but for crawling babies :o

typist, chownah, thanks for your input too.

Another vote for the "woolly thing".

Missus uses a (just) damp mop once a week or so, woolly thing every day. She's got some sort of oil in a spray bottle that she puts on the woolly thing, not sure if it's supposed to shine the floor or attract the dirt though :o

Organised lady that she is, we have two woolly heads so she can still clean when one is in the washing machine or drying after washing :D