Human trials of first Thai developed COVID-19 vaccine begins Monday

webfact

1 minute ago, wensiensheng said:

just yesterday you were boasting about Thailand vaccinating so many leisure staff in Phuket and doing such a fantastic job of it. Now here you are ridiculing with misinformation the very vaccines used on those leisure staff.

Unfortunately yet another, a retired policeman, died in Thailand from it yesterday. 

There is a risk with it, as j said I hope the Thais, or anyone else, can come up with something better that people don't die from.

Wouldn't that be good?

5 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

The vaccine research centre at Chulalongkorn University is planning to start human trials of its mRNA vaccine candidate, called Chula – Cov19, in April. The university received prototype vaccines from factories in the United States. If the human trials are effective, the first million doses of locally-produced vaccines could available this year.

ChulaCov19 was then developed by the center in collaboration with Professor Dr Drew Weissman, a pioneer in mRNA technology from the University of Pennsylvania. 

A US-based biotech company will probably produce the first batch but, by September, we plan to have the vaccines manufactured by the company BioNet-Asia in Bangkok.

I wonder how it can get WHO approval without stage 3 trials?

4 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Unfortunately yet another, a retired policeman, died in Thailand from it yesterday. 

There is a risk with it, as j said I hope the Thais, or anyone else, can come up with something better that people don't die from.

Wouldn't that be good?

Unfortunately, your attempt at some kind of deflection from your previous misleading statements, simply produces another.

please provide proof that the policemen died from “it” which I take to mean a Covid vaccine.

Any I don’t mean proof that he died shortly after being vaccinated, I mean scientific medical proof that he died “from it”.

I doubt an autopsy has even been completed yet, so you’re going to be pushed to turn your glib falsehood into anything remotely factual.

Edited by wensiensheng
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I wonder how it can get WHO approval without stage 3 trials?

Good question and I doubt it can, however there is a little explainer here thats worth a read, this vaccine is developed through mRNA technology by Drew Weissman, one of the pioneers of the mRNA technology.

He sent the prototype to Chula Vaccine Research Center, its basically a copy of the Pfizer vaccine and they hope that because Pfizer has already gone through all the necessary phases then this one will not need to? Very strange notion. Not sure that Drew Weissman would agree with that either.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolineseydel/2020/12/09/thai-researcher-aims-to-make-his-country-a-vaccine-powerhouse/?sh=6f8f45a5232f

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sathornlover said:

When one reads something like this, one would not believe one's own eyes and senses if one completely forgets or does not know where this "vaccine development" is supposed to take place.

For comparison, I would like to refer to the long suffering of the Curevac vaccine, which presumably offers the same protection at a significantly lower dosage as the other successful mRNA vaccines and another advantage is that the active substance remains stable at a temperature of five degrees for at least three months.

Unfortunately, the 2-3rd phase only started in December 2020 and not enough infections could be detected in April-May as planned:

„The company said on May 28 that the late-stage trial involving about 40,000 volunteers in Europe and Latin America had reached a first interim analysis at 59 COVID-19 cases, but that more data would be necessary for statistically reliable efficacy numbers.“

But in fact at least 160 cases are needed, in Thailand this does not seem to be necessary.

Who would trust a vaccine where the proof of efficacy is completely lacking and the side effects are virtually unexplored due to the small number of test persons?

EU regulator does not expect approval for CureVac vaccine before August

Prayuth and Anutin. 

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Prayuth and Anutin. 

If I am completely frank, my question was more of a rhetorical nature.

When in another thread on this topic the question came up why an investment of 2.8 billion bath for allegedly three promising vaccine candidates "made in Thailand", the following came to my mind:

„But this investment fits well with the so-called "selfsufficent" ideology propagated in this country. For one thing, this and other stories can better conceal the failure to procure sufficient vaccines and appeal to national pride, thus incidentally filling some stuffed pockets even more, and that alone should be worth 2.8 billion bath“

I do not believe that the two protagonists you mentioned are as stupid as they often appear to us. But it's possible that they believe their own propaganda, which doesn't make the situation any better or worse ...

1 minute ago, sathornlover said:

If I am completely frank, my question was more of a rhetorical nature.

When in another thread on this topic the question came up why an investment of 2.8 billion bath for allegedly three promising vaccine candidates "made in Thailand", the following came to my mind:

„But this investment fits well with the so-called "selfsufficent" ideology propagated in this country. For one thing, this and other stories can better conceal the failure to procure sufficient vaccines and appeal to national pride, thus incidentally filling some stuffed pockets even more, and that alone should be worth 2.8 billion bath“

I do not believe that the two protagonists you mentioned are as stupid as they often appear to us. But it's possible that they believe their own propaganda, which doesn't make the situation any better or worse ...

OK. Then in this case believing their own propaganda makes them smart? Discerning? 

One could easily argue quite the opposite. 

10 hours ago, realfunster said:

Fully agree mate. It rings of ‘local’ propaganda and these scientists trying to remain relevant.

That’s a tiny sample group and then they plan to possibly skip phase three for approval (whatever that means - by mid 2022). That is a year from now and production is not even mentioned….

The haste seems unnecessary as they have already missed the worst of the global outbreak, and although it is likely ongoing COVID vaccines may be required for some time, already established vaccines will be flooding the market by early next year. As for local use, well I presume even the delayed AZ from SB will be pumping out tens of millions of doses a month come year-end. 

So, I doubt come mid-2022 anyone is going to be particularly interested in a hastily approved, phase-3 skipping, tiny sample sized vaccine from Chula. 

Acording to all thier resent  coments  everyone in Thailand  including farangs will have been innoculated by the end of 2021 so who will need these shots by mid 2022 ?

New player in the game, order from them.

Novavax Offers U.S. a Fourth Strong Covid-19 Vaccine

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/novavax-offers-us-a-fourth-strong-covid-19-vaccine/ar-AAL1il4?li=BBnb7Kz

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

As an ardent supporter of the ongoing Thai Moon Mission program, I'm equally enthusiastic about this new vaccine.

Who would have ever guessed even a year ago that the Kingdom could make such astounding technological leaps successfully?

????

Did they ever get their durian space food into orbit?

Imagine being trapped in a spaceship with the world's smelliest fruit.

Thailand's space research agency has just announced plans to send durian to space by July, as part of a project to produce Thai food suitable for future space travel.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44326575

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Redline said:

So this vaccine will be better than any vaccine in the world.  They figured out how to store a mRNA vaccine at cool to room temperature.  Let's see the proof, and where are the trials being done?

Seemingly there will be no stage three trials. Apparently they can be “skipped” according to the article.

makes no sense to me either. There are existing vaccines, why can’t they take the time to do it properly?

• Like 2

On 6/15/2021 at 8:04 AM, Excel said:

Yes what they really need is another Alexander Fleming type but I doubt the Thais have anyone of that ilk, the bum gun is about the Thai level of innovation.

To be fair the bum gun is an excellent idea. 

As for RobM if poster of the year is still a goer he will be my nomination. 

On 6/15/2021 at 7:59 AM, bradiston said:

Live in hope, die in hope. More poison in your post than in any vax.

Strangely his 7.51 AM post that you refer to is no longer there.