How Much Is A Windows Xp In Thailand ?

THAILIBAN

For some reason, I want to buy a new WIN-XP OEM (recovery-Version) for my laptop. Didnt find anything useful on the Thai microsoft page (as its all in Thai).

anybody knows how much it is ? do they still sell it ?

How much is the new VISTA and those using it already, would u recommend to upgrade ? my laptop only has 512 MB Ram and processor 1,5

For some reason, I want to buy a new WIN-XP OEM (recovery-Version) for my laptop. Didnt find anything useful on the Thai microsoft page (as its all in Thai).

How much is the new VISTA and those using it already, would u recommend to upgrade ? my laptop only has 512 MB Ram and processor 1,5

You'll need to add at least another 512mb of RAM for Vista. Aside from that initial 1mb memory requirement, after that Vista actually runs much smoother so you may want to source a Vista Basic OEM which will run fine on that laptop with better security than XP and (supposedly) better power management to deal with battery issues. (Only third party info there).

You won't get Aeroglass or Media Centre with the Basic but both those add to bloat on a lighter machine.

Current Hardware House price is:

Vista Home ----------------4,200

Vista Home Premium -----5,330

Vista Business -------------6,750

Vista Starter ---------------1,790

Not sure if they still have OEM XP available - was not on display last week.

1.5 sounds like an older machine - Vista most definitely not recommended for that one. Vista is a dog on laptops. I have a 2GHz Core Duo with 2GB RAM and 160GB HD and it's slow. Much slower than XP.

I needed a BIOS upgrade and lots of drivers to run Vista. Check with your laptop manufacturer's website if they offer an upgrade to Vista if you must - but you'll be much happier with XP.

Edit: OK, where to get XP OEM has been answered competently I am going to retract my answer :o

Edited by nikster

• 4 weeks later...

Lopburi3, may I ask, where is that mentioned HARDWARE HOUSE ? Is that a trustworthy Computer Shop in Bangkok ? and if so, located where ?

and does anybody use that VISTA STARTER ? what is missing compared to the Vista Home ? Home pro ?

Is there anybody who is able to give a brief introduction ?

Edited by siam2007

MS Windows Vista Starter, I will hardly call it Vista as it cannot be used with multi-core or any multi-treat processor. Also is there a limitation on the total memory it can use.

Basically everybody, who has a processor better then the first Pentium 4 series would downgrade his computer. Hyper-treading doesn't work as it is seen as multi-treat processor. Vista Starter will allow only three applications (and/or three windows) to run simultaneously, will provide Internet connectivity but not incoming network communications, and will not provide for logon passwords or Fast User Switching.

For gaming MS Windows Vista Starter is limited to DirectX 7, Windows Vista Starter, the desktop cannot be extended onto a second monitor

Edited by Richard-BKK

From what I've um...heard... you can get a copy at Pantip Plaza in BKK. It's the best "IT" shop I've ever been to in Thailand :o

Just what we need, another gimp, infected XP copy floating around. This isn't exactly "news" genius.

Just what we need, another gimp, infected XP copy floating around. This isn't exactly "news" genius.

The OP asked a question and I offered an answer... You're just full of positive flaming comments today aren't you, eh?

The OP asked a question and I offered an answer... You're just full of positive flaming comments today aren't you, eh?

Pointing out a useless answer isn't flaming. If you call that flaming maybe you need to install net nanny to keep the nasties away from you.