Which Data Eraser Do You Use And Recommend ?

siam2007

I need a small program to get rid of some business data frequently. means, overwrite it many times so it can not be restored.

browsing the several download-websites in the net, I didnt find any program that gets REALLY good reviews. which one do use and recommend ?

its okay if it is shareware, I dont mind spending a few bucks to buy the full licence later, but wanna use it for free first to find out if it suits my needs.....

I use Evidence Eliminator (http://www.evidenceeliminator.us/) and I am very satisfied with it.

Goes deep down to overwrite deleted files, deletes all tracks from the Internet and from many programs.

I know that one as well, but it doesnt get good comments from users on the biggest download-websites.

poor programming, and - as it seems - no updating since a long time....

You might wanna try this one http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

My choice too....................

Supports Guttman 35X overwriting for real security. :o

Please note what Gutmann article is completely obsolete and the recovery methods described no longer apply to the modern drives, as the recording technology is quite different now and recording density is much higher.

The article created quite a buzz then, and many people, even IT professionals, still believe what "CIA and FBI have the necessary equipment" to do it now.

Of course if hiding from the CIA is your goal, what you really need it to grind the disk into powder and replace it. If you just don't want the next owner recovering your personal info, you'll be fine with Eraser. :o

Of course if hiding from the CIA is your goal, what you really need it to grind the disk into powder and replace it. If you just don't want the next owner recovering your personal info, you'll be fine with Eraser. :D

:o Agree with cdnvic. Btw: I want to give away a 40 GB disk. Do I really need to overwrite 7 times or is 3 times sufficient to prevent the next user recovering data?

Of course if hiding from the CIA is your goal, what you really need it to grind the disk into powder and replace it. If you just don't want the next owner recovering your personal info, you'll be fine with Eraser. :D

:o Agree with cdnvic. Btw: I want to give away a 40 GB disk. Do I really need to overwrite 7 times or is 3 times sufficient to prevent the next user recovering data?

No big deal to do the final four passes. All depends on what kind of info you had on there. 99.5% of people (I estimate) won't even bother looking. Only geeks like me do that.