Thai To Replace Ageing Fleet

peter991

THAI to replace ageing fleet to keep up with region’s carriers

THAI Airways is planning to purchase at least 46 new aircraft in order to compete with the new carriers in the Southeast Asia region, Bloomberg News has reported.

According to THAI’s 10-year business plan, the airline will be replacing 46 of its older aircraft between 2008 and 2017 with newer models. The new planes will also help THAI add new destinations to its service network.

''The company has to complete the business plan as soon as possible to maintain competitiveness in the regional airline industry,'' the airline’s president Apinan Sumanaseni was reported as saying after a board meeting yesterday.

In fact, THAI’s average fleet age is twice that of rival Singapore Airlines.

THAI will need greater capacity to compete with other carriers in Southeast Asia that are buying planes. However, expansion in Asian economies will be likely to lift passenger travel growth, according to the International Air Transport Association.

Although Mr. Apinan did not disclose which aircraft THAI would buy, the airline reported in February that it would be ordering eight Airbus SAS A330-300 planes at a discount, in compensating for delays in the delivery of the six A380 superjumbos it ordered.

THAI will receive deliveries of the A330 from October next year, with the last order to be completed in 2010. These will be used to replace the six Airbus A300-600s and two Boeing 747-300s that it has been using for over 20 years.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are occasionally using new planes on the BKK to BNE route.

Just noticed something annoying: Flight number TG983 BKK to BNE ceases at the end of this month. It's a direct 8hr 45min direct flight. Departs BKK at 11.40pm, gets into BNE at 11.25am the next day.

From 01 June It will be replaced with TG991, which departs BKK at 8.00am (roll up at 5.00am at Suvarnabhumi - yawn!) and goes to BNE via SYD, arriving at BNE at 10.45pm. This adds an extra 3 hours to the trip.

I can't understand why Thai Airways is dropping the direct flight as it's always full. No other carrier flies direct.

Peter

Airbus is hungry for sales in trying to make up ground lost over the A380 delays. Thai may just wind up getting a sweetheart deal on A350s as well.

Bangkok Airways already has them on order for the international routes they plan.

post-7151-1179976176_thumb.jpg

Edited by cdnvic

They are occasionally using new planes on the BKK to BNE route.

Just noticed something annoying: Flight number TG983 BKK to BNE ceases at the end of this month. It's a direct 8hr 45min direct flight. Departs BKK at 11.40pm, gets into BNE at 11.25am the next day.

From 01 June It will be replaced with TG991, which departs BKK at 8.00am (roll up at 5.00am at Suvarnabhumi - yawn!) and goes to BNE via SYD, arriving at BNE at 10.45pm. This adds an extra 3 hours to the trip.

I can't understand why Thai Airways is dropping the direct flight as it's always full. No other carrier flies direct.

Peter

I think it's somehow related to the overall economics of the flight...for example, they were saying recently that their non-stops to LAX/JFK have 90+% occupancy rates, but they still end up losing money on each one because of fees, fuel costs (& consumption for that route), etc.

[''The company has to complete the business plan as soon as possible to maintain competitiveness in the regional airline industry,'' the airline’s president Apinan Sumanaseni was reported as saying after a board meeting yesterday.

The age of the fleet is not the only factor Thai can't compete with Singapore Air, or any other airlines. How about improving the internal management, quality of service and ticket value for starters? About time the Finance Department stop supporting them and let private firms run it to become efficient and turn it into a truly public company serving the general public :o

I will believe it when I see it. Remember - this is the 'airline' that cancelled an Airbus order about 4 years ago as Thai shrimps were banned from the EU due to high toxicity levels and THAI claimed that they "were going to pay in shrimps, so the deal was off".

The old crate they use on BKK to LHR is shameful and the reason I no longer consider using them.

Good to hear about the updating of the fleet.

I have flown the Brisbane - Bangkok return sector many times.

It is a lottery as to wether you get a new plane or an old junker.

9 hours with no in flight entertainment is no fun.

Last time in flight entertainment was fitted, but did not work in our row.

They did make up for it with constant service of that nice French Red wine thay serve...

It is a pity to hear that this direct BKK-BNE is being cancelled.

Peter

It is not hard to understand that. By eliminating the direct flight to BNE, they are saving on 17 crew members staying in BNE every day, probably for 3 days between the flights. That saves them 51 accommodation nights and per diems per flight.

BNE-SYD is just 1 hour and the crew that boarded in Sidney can do that without stepping off the plane and go back to BKK.

Could someone let me know what the aircraft are like flying from london to bangkok direct with Thai?

I have not flown with them before but the price of the flight was excellent,

Entertainment, etc

Thanks

Mark

In terms of entertainment, flying with TG is a bit of a lottery...you can get a properly equipped Airbus A340 or a new 777, or you can get one of their older planes...they shuffle their fleet around on a daily basis, so there's no way of being 100% certain.

Flying with TG as opposed to SQ highlights the differences between the two nations very well: in the case of SQ, you get top-notch efficiency, an IFE system that's a gadget lover's dream and nicely prepared and portioned food and drink. With TG, you'll be too heavy, high and relaxed from all the F & B to care that there's not much IFE and the arrival might be delayed a while...I guess it depends on the person :o

In terms of entertainment, flying with TG is a bit of a lottery...you can get a properly equipped Airbus A340 or a new 777, or you can get one of their older planes...they shuffle their fleet around on a daily basis, so there's no way of being 100% certain.

Is that right?

The machines are varied only where the timetable says "EQV" - equipment varies.

There has to be a big mechanical or other failure to do that at all, no way "on a daily basis".

Almost all carriers do that, TG is not an exception.

Now demised Ansett Australia had only "Jet" under the equipment column.

Many American carriers do the same.

That's where you can expect "they shuffle their fleet around on a daily basis".

Edited by think_too_mut

Will there be seat back tvs on my flight though?

Do all direct flights on thai have this?

Read my post further up the thread. LHR - BKK is rubbish. No TVs (save for the communal one they no longer have the shame to switch on), a 30 year old 747, dirty, smelly, need I go on?

Is that right?

The machines are varied only where the timetable says "EQV" - equipment varies.

There has to be a big mechanical or other failure to do that at all, no way "on a daily basis".

Almost all carriers do that, TG is not an exception.

Now demised Ansett Australia had only "Jet" under the equipment column.

Many American carriers do the same.

That's where you can expect "they shuffle their fleet around on a daily basis".

Trust me, they do...and of course other carriers do it as well, but TG does so much more than others and unfortunately not all of their fleet is equipped with seat-back TVs, which makes the difference all the more noticeable. There are many cases where the itinerary says one plane and you end up getting a completely different one, for better or worse. And it's not just mechanical failure, lack of passengers can cause a 777 flight to be downgraded to an A330 or whatever. Of course, in the case of American carriers, replacing one MD80 with a more geriatric MD80 won't mean much to the average passenger, since they'll be in a plane that should have long had its funeral anyway, but in TG's case, there really are big differences between what they offer.

Could someone let me know what the aircraft are like flying from london to bangkok direct with Thai?

Entertainment, etc

Thanks

Mark

Hi

As has been said before there is only the large screen on the LHR-BKK routes, I dont really mind this as you are probably asleep most of the time anyway. I find the leg room greater than other airlines, I'm nearly 6 foot and dont feel squashed at all with plenty of room between my legs and the seat in front.

You will almost certainly fly the Boeing 747-400 which only came out 18yrs ago not 30 as was said by another poster.

I fly thai all the time and have no complaints.

Warwick

Entertainment, etc

Thanks

Mark

Hi

As has been said before there is only the large screen on the LHR-BKK routes, I dont really mind this as you are probably asleep most of the time anyway. I find the leg room greater than other airlines, I'm nearly 6 foot and dont feel squashed at all with plenty of room between my legs and the seat in front.

You will almost certainly fly the Boeing 747-400 which only came out 18yrs ago not 30 as was said by another poster.

I fly thai all the time and have no complaints.

Warwick

Clearly you are not used to decent craft, service etc...

In respect of the 30 years vs 18, I was giving an impression, but even THAI now admit that 18 YO is far too old...

Do you drive an 18 year old car? :o

In respect of the 30 years vs 18, I was giving an impression, but even THAI now admit that 18 YO is far too old...

Last time I checked, a car didn't cost in the region of 20 million $, so I think somewhat less lifetime is expected...a well-maintained plane can last a long time, the Jumbos are very reliable and until the A380 comes out quite irreplaceable in what they can do.

As for service...name one carrier that has better service. Do you mean in the air or on the ground? One of the major reasons people fly TG is because of their service, which has won many awards and truly is world-class, in my opinion (though other aspects of the airline clearly aren't)

Last time I checked, a car didn't cost in the region of 20 million $, so I think somewhat less lifetime is expected...a well-maintained plane can last a long time, the Jumbos are very reliable and until the A380 comes out quite irreplaceable in what they can do.

As for service...name one carrier that has better service. Do you mean in the air or on the ground? One of the major reasons people fly TG is because of their service, which has won many awards and truly is world-class, in my opinion (though other aspects of the airline clearly aren't)

Travelling every two weeks LHR to BKK and vice versa for 7-years, I feel able to comment that the planes are old, smelly and shoddy, the service is poor and there is no entertainment system. If you are happy with this, then fine, more room on the aircraft I travel on now!

Edited by bkkandrew

Thai Airways 747-400 fleet also need replacement.

Nothing at all have happened to improve the quality for passangers the last 10 year.

Still the same old planes with the same old chairs and no inflight intertainment for economyclass passangers.

Still the same borring food and terible orange concentrate they call juice.

Flying Singapore Airlines is like driving a Mercedes Benz compared to Thais old Pickup feeling.

SIA have individual inflight intertainment for all economy passangers and superb food.

But when the planes are full anyway why should they improve their product ?

It is only the passengers that can force them to improve by selecting better airlines.

No. Hardly any TG planes have in-seat screens in economy. I have never seen one on 747-400s, B777.

A340 would as it probably could not be bought without them.

No. Hardly any TG planes have in-seat screens in economy. I have never seen one on 747-400s, B777.

Both A-345 and A-346's have the seatback screens. Nothing else in the fleet does.

Both A-345 and A-346's have the seatback screens. Nothing else in the fleet does.

9 out of 91 planes.

TG hasbecome a joke

I have been a gold ROP for many years mainly because I used them to BKK from Europe.

Now for biz its SIA only - what a difference but I did get to know a lot of the biz class staff on Thai BKK-FRA over the years and the service was good.

Even our Thai staff avoid TG if they can and when someone prefers the Luftwaffe gestapo to FRA there must be something up

Flying with TG as opposed to SQ highlights the differences between the two nations very well: in the case of SQ, you get top-notch efficiency, an IFE system that's a gadget lover's dream and nicely prepared and portioned food and drink. With TG, you'll be too heavy, high and relaxed from all the F & B to care that there's not much IFE and the arrival might be delayed a while...I guess it depends on the person :o

Florin - spot on! I fly Melbourne to Phuket. Up until they shelved their direct flights, I used to fly with Thai. Now fly MEL - SIN - HKT and only 2 hr 5 min transit on the way over and 45 min transit on the way back. Staff are far more attentive and IFE is great. The other option for me is Jetstar MEL - HKT via Sydney. 'nuff said about Jetstar!

Flying Singapore Airlines is like driving a Mercedes Benz compared to Thais old Pickup feeling.

It is only the passengers that can force them to improve by selecting better airlines.

Yes, it's true that SIA and Cathay are much better airlines with newer fleet. The problem is for those of us who live in Thailand, and who travel frequently around Asia, you have to default to Thai Airways, with the most frequent flight schedules, esp. for the gold ROP membership, clubs, wifi, etc.. A number of people prefer to accumulate miles on SIA (still star alliance), and willingly go out of their way to make connections in SIN. Depends on your priorities. time is more important to me than a seatback TV.

Yes, it's true that SIA and Cathay are much better airlines with newer fleet. The problem is for those of us who live in Thailand, and who travel frequently around Asia, you have to default to Thai Airways, with the most frequent flight schedules, esp. for the gold ROP membership, clubs, wifi, etc.. A number of people prefer to accumulate miles on SIA (still star alliance), and willingly go out of their way to make connections in SIN. Depends on your priorities. time is more important to me than a seatback TV.

I would go with TG only if there is no choice and others flying scrap metal and offer bad service (United, NW) or Biman Bangladesh and the likes are left as the only choice.

If I can't get SQ/ANA/JAL direct, I would go out of my way to use SQ or CX, as long as it does not require overnight stopover.

As for time importance, just remembered - my colleagues going to China on business would never fly local airlines. If there is no DragonAir or CX flight out of HKG to their destination, they will go with a reputable airline as far as it reaches and then - use local trains, no matter how long it takes. They don't even think of in-seat screens while doing that and time is high on their priorities list.

THAI to replace ageing fleet to keep up with region’s carriers

There's a good reason for that. A fair proportion of TG's fleet is SIA's hand-me-downs.

I've given up on Thai. Frankly, it's a shockingly bad airline. I recall flying TG from Sydney to Bkk once, in business class. Not only did this particular plane not have inseat entertainment (in business class, mind), but I was positioned in a spot where i couldnt even see the ###### screen.

A similar experience flying back from Beijing last week too . . . . . NEVER AGAIN.