Schools, students and parents not ready for online learning – Suan Dusit Poll

webfact

Thai-school_web.jpg

A student undergoes a temperature check as schools reopen due to the easing of restrictions after a temporary closure to combat the spread of the Covid-19 coronavirus in Bangkok. (Photo by Lillian SUWANRUMPHA / AFP)

Most schools, students, and their parents are not ready for online learning, required by the COVID-19 situation, for a number of reasons, according to an opinion survey conducted by Suan Dusit Poll of Suan Dusit University between June 14th and 17th.

With the exception of those in the Deep Red zones, such as Bangkok, schools across Thailand reopened on June 14th, about a month later than the normal opening of the new semester, due to widespread COVID-19 infections.

Suan Dusit Poll gauged the opinions of 3,749 people, including school administrators, teachers, students, and their parents, about how they view online learning, which is being applied in many schools, especially in the Deep Red zones, where on-site studying is still restricted.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/schools-students-and-parents-not-ready-for-online-learning-suan-dusit-poll/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So does that mean a laptop for every kid.

I would love that move if I owned a games shop.

Good idea but Games shops are in apps, so they need the laptop????

Edited by Tarteso
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Most schools, students, and their parents are not ready for online learning, required by the COVID-19 situation, for a number of reasons, according to an opinion survey conducted by Suan Dusit Poll of Suan Dusit University between June 14th and 17th.

Well it's only been 18 months, wonder why it took so long to work that out?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, asiasurfer said:

And they just notice that now, after over a year??? Online learning can never replace the benefits of a "real" class... 

Can you provide evidence/your own experience to back up your assertion? Dismissive comments like yours sound like Trumpisms.

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

From memory, didn't a former wheeling dealing PM do just that, the supply of dodgy and apparently pretty useless laptops - wonder where that PM is now and where are the laptops? 

• Like 1

This scheme was destined for failure, as it has been pretty much everywhere else.  My wife's son is 10 years old, loves school and learning (??!!??), and has been crying over not being able to get the app to work.  He has a computer, which he shares with 2 cousins, but the teaching tool is Zoom, but the portal is thru the phone app LINE.  We bought him a cheap tablet, Android, that is making it work better for him, but EVERYBODY involved is <deleted> off.

I have Thai "relatives" whose kids have been studying online. One of them made the move from bilingual to international school last year. He is clearly behind in English and the online classes really don't help. His mom is completely lost (her English is not great either and they just end up fighting all the time...) and she needs to hire tutors which was complicated during the last wave of Covid. Most of his grades came from online home assignments. Since he can't do them in English, he just writes in Thai and google translate. The result is obviously below par and he is learning absolutely nothing from it. They are throwing their money down the toilet honestly.

I don't know what is the right answer for schools right now, but online classes are not it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Your a bit out of touch most games are sold online currently that you download straight from the servers of the seller. Gameshops are far and few between. (If you mean game selling shop)

56 minutes ago, Artisi said:

From memory, didn't a former wheeling dealing PM do just that, the supply of dodgy and apparently pretty useless laptops - wonder where that PM is now and where are the laptops? 

The Thai teachers are just as worthless as the tablets.

What to do?

So some of this now and next generation of students will be perfect for public office if they are watching how everything is being driven and follow suit for how many got their degrees online. Personally only real-time in class is the best way to learn

20 minutes ago, khunPer said:

whilst the girls either have laptops or iPads. Everybody has Internet access. And therein lie a huge difference between the higher social levels

Haha. Before I taught at a BKK private school, where nearly all the students had iPads. Mostly used for games. Frequent late assignments, copied from each other, or not submitted at all. A total waste. Out here, the country bumpkins are getting more done with their phones, and good ol' fashioned pen and paper.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Haha. Before I taught at a BKK private school, where nearly all the students had iPads. Mostly used for games. Frequent late assignments, copied from each other, or not submitted at all. A total waste. Out here, the country bumpkins are getting more done with their phones, and good ol' fashioned pen and paper.

Yes, good old-fashioned methods are sometimes better...????????

Online learning is not the answer for many students, parents, teachers and schools. And we all understand the myriad of reasons why that is. But rather than everyone panning the idea and moaning, whinging and saying how Thailand is totally unprepared and couldn't organise a prayer in a mosque etc. etc. . How about suggesting some alternatives? 

If schools remain physically shut and online learning is not the answer suggest another alternative?  - TVF members, the floor is yours? 

24 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Online learning is not the answer for many students, parents, teachers and schools. And we all understand the myriad of reasons why that is. But rather than everyone panning the idea and moaning, whinging and saying how Thailand is totally unprepared and couldn't organise a prayer in a mosque etc. etc. . How about suggesting some alternatives? 

If schools remain physically shut and online learning is not the answer suggest another alternative?  - TVF members, the floor is yours? 

Speaking as an online tutor - Online classes would have been OK for some students if the DoE had done something proactive to begin with.

I worked in rural schools that couldn't afford full time teachers, lessons followed a strict curriculum, and were broadcast over a TV, while the kids sat there and watched and did assignments which "the" teacher in charge of the whole school marked. Im not too sure of the logistics, but the framework was there. 

The lessons were hardly engaging and fun, but they could have been - With regard to education, this pandemic seems like a bit of a lost opportunity to me.