Jump to content

Thai temple says construction of giant Buddha statue visible across Bangkok nearly complete


Recommended Posts

2021-06-21T111115Z_1_LYNXNPEH5K0IU_RTROPTP_4_THAILAND-GIANTBUDDHA.JPG

The giant Buddha statue of Wat Paknam Phasi Charoen temple is seen in Bangkok, Thailand, June 10, 2021. Picture taken June 10, 2021 with a drone. REUTERS/Jorge Silva

 

BANGKOK (Reuters) - A Thai temple building a 69-metre-tall (230 ft) Buddha statue that will be visible across Bangkok said construction was nearly complete but its opening may be pushed back to 2022 due to delays caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

 

The Royal Wat Paknam Phasi Charoen temple on the outskirts of Bangkok dates back to 1610 and is located on a island created by canals flowing from the Chao Phraya river.

 

Work on the statue, which is as tall as a 20-storey building, started in 2017 and should be completed this year, but due to the coronavirus pandemic the official opening may be pushed back to 2022, said temple spokesman Pisan Sangkapinij.

 

The Phra Buddha Dhammakāya Thepmongkhon statue, made of copper and painted gold, sits in a seated lotus posture.

 

Parts were produced in China before being shipped to Thailand to be assembled.

 

It should be visible from all parts of the raised train line that spans the capital Bangkok, said Pisan.

 

Using $16 million worth of donations, the temple decided to build the statue to honour Buddhism and also as a tribute to former abbot Luang Pu Sodh Candasaro who helped develop the temple as a renowned centre for meditation, he said.

 

The statue has drawn double the number of visitors to the temple than usual, he said, and the temple was expecting more once Thailand's borders, closed due to the pandemic, are reopened to tourists.

 

The tallest Buddha statue in Thailand is the Phra Buddha Maha Nawamin statue in Ang Thong province that is 92 metres high.

 

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-06-21
 
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IraqRon said:

this is the exact same model seen in many places in Thailand, only bigger and more ostentatious

It's a copy (think MBK). Will go rusty within a year.

I can't see it from here - can I have my money back?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not my cuppa, but not my money, either.

 

Shows up great on Google Earth.

 

13.721201  100.470965

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The statue has drawn double the number of visitors to the temple than usual, he said, and the temple was expecting more once Thailand's borders, closed due to the pandemic, are reopened to tourists.

The whole point of building it ....most temples have an attraction..

regards worgeordie

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Phra Buddha Dhammakāya Thepmongkhon statue, made of copper and painted gold, sits in a seated lotus posture.

 

Parts were produced in China before being shipped to Thailand to be assembled.

Think I'd check that copper is not plastic based !

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, IraqRon said:

this is the exact same model seen in many places in Thailand, only bigger and more ostentatious

Vatican City has moved to Thailand ?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You can hardly visit any Wat in bkk without building going on, most of it unnecessary or for vanity like this thing. Another Wat will start building another biggest one soon!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, impulse said:

Not my cuppa, but not my money, either.

 

Shows up great on Google Earth.

 

13.721201  100.470965

Yes, hard to miss.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

 

BANGKOK (Reuters) - A Thai temple building a 69-metre-tall (230 ft) Buddha statue

 

22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

 

The tallest Buddha statue in Thailand is the Phra Buddha Maha Nawamin statue in Ang Thong province that is 92 metres high

 

Bangkok's Bud' is a bit of a short 'a*se then ..

And the statute must be Bud' in his youth before the onset of rotundness and man boobs ..  

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp
Link to post
Share on other sites

"and the temple was expecting more once Thailand's borders, closed due to the pandemic, are reopened to tourists."

 

yes... the Foreigners will have to pay (extra) to see it.........

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...