Used Bike

jaiyenyen

The last time I rode a bike was around 50  years ago, when I had my paper round.

I want to get a bike again, mainly for exercise and to lose a few kilos. I live near the Royal Thai Air Force park at Don Mueang where there's a good cycle track around the lake. Tarmac and flat.

A road bike would be my first choice but I'm a big lad so I need something strong. I was thinking about a mountain bike.

As this is in effect my first bike, I'm not looking to spend too much so I was thinking 2nd hand.

Can anyone recommend a good shop around the Don Mueang/Rangsit area. I'm on a tight budget of up to 5000 Baht.

Yes, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for (I think 555). There's a Decathlon store near my home so I'll take a look.

Like I said before, I'm also open to the idea of buying 2nd hand from a cycle shop. Maybe get more bike for my money.

If you go mountain bike, and have no intention of going "off road" and cycling arou d a tarmac park as I do, change the nobbly tyres  for road tyres, makes a huge difference,

I would also take a look in Homepro bike section, bikes there 4k up. I bought mine from there.

• Like 1

My opinion is maybe not relevant as I have more money than sense (I mean that in a modest way)
1. Avoid features.  The manufacturer has to pay for Features such as suspension, extra gears, hydraulic brakes etc.  If it's not something you need, live without it.  The manufacturer has to cut corners somewhere else to give you each extra Feature.

2.  If you buy it from a bike shop, you can take it back to the bike shop.  The guy in the bike shop should eventually understand your concern, and should be easily able to deal with it. 

3.  Think Spare Parts, Ease of Maintenance, Reliability.  If you spend 5,000 baht on a cheap bike with a 10k B spec, you will ride it until it fails, have a year of frustration, and trip over it every time you go into your store room.  If you spend 5,000 baht on a reliable, low spec bike, and you do enjoy riding it, you'll be able to buy a better bike the next year with more knowledge of what you really want.

digression   

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I finally bought my bike. Just a cheap mountain bike, nothing fancy. This morning at 6am I arrived at the Royal Thai Air Force Park at Don Mueang. I took the bike out of the back of the truck, and after a few initial wobbles I was on my way. As I said before, this was my first time on a bike in 50 years, Once I'd settled in, it felt great to feel the wind in what little hair I've got left. I managed 4 laps of the cycle track which came to 5.2 km and I burnt 222 calories (I've downloaded an app). I know it's not much,but it's a start.

When I got back to my truck, I got off the bike and my legs buckled a little bit. I couldn't stop laughing. I felt so good.

I can't wait for tomorrow morning so I can do it again.

• Like 2