Question to people that have taught in Thailand

On 6/22/2021 at 7:11 PM, Surelynot said:

I read comments on another thread about teachers being made to stay till 5pm each day....even though their last lesson finished at 3.30pm.......management in schools is atrocious....they have no idea of how to manage and motivate staff other than through fear and contracts.........I used to despair at the things they came up with.

Management just does whatever the Director wants generally, he is god in Thai schools. what you'll get away with is totally dependent on him...

On 6/23/2021 at 6:59 AM, MrBiker said:

Thanks for the reply. I will do what I feel is reasonable and if they want to keep me or not will be up to the school. 

My biggest issues are the occasional Saturday activities and the need to be at the desk on the longer 4 hour breaks between classes. Hopefully having all my work done on time and being an excellent in class teacher will allow them to over look some things. 

I don't care too much about my relationship with the other teachers. I've been in Thailand long enough and have a decent social network already. I would never let other teachers pick up my slack anyway. I'm very good at time management and efficient at getting my work done.

You have to be there for appearances, if any visitors or parents come they have to show off a white face... 

10 hours ago, kynikoi said:

Because supervisors who have been teaching for decades are clueless to this childish behavior right?

Set up a laptop and water bottle then sneak off. Brilliant until the person returns and returns again. Then same on a different day. Now, it's established you are a do nothing fraud. But hey, don't let that stop you.

Come all the way around the world to work and then not do the job you've been hired to. I guess it's better than working a convenience store back home.

'do nothing fraud' for spending a couple of hours away from the desk when not teaching. arn't these free periods designed for rest?

you have a lot of mouth for someone on here a couple of months, I wonder what your last login name was...

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

you have a lot of mouth for someone on here a couple of months, I wonder what your last login name was...

One name stands out, looking at the way he writes. Not a NES, that's for sure.

Edited by puchooay
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

a couple of hours away from the desk

Given that you're teaching a couple of hours a day I'd suspect that being away an additional "couple of hours" amounts to the entire day. But what the hell. What an absolutely childish stunt. The only people it fools are those that set it up for themselves in the first place.

1 hour ago, kynikoi said:

Given that you're teaching a couple of hours a day I'd suspect that being away an additional "couple of hours" amounts to the entire day. But what the hell. What an absolutely childish stunt. The only people it fools are those that set it up for themselves in the first place.

20 divided by 5 equals 2?

I guess you are not a maths teacher.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, puchooay said:

20 divided by 5 equals 2?

I guess you are not a maths teacher.

You are absolutely farcical. S/he never stated a few hours a week. Given that we are bothering to set up our laptops and place water bottles on desks LOL Im just assuming s/he going for a drink or a snooze every day. A REST awww...too bad the children don't get a rest.

2 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

for spending a couple of hours away from the desk

S/he gave no indication. It's just another case of petty personal attack and one upsmanship. Inference here clearly the teacher is leaving a few hours a day.

2 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

arn't these free periods designed for rest?

No, sorry open periods are there to plan lessons and interact with your students not sleeping, smoking and drinking. You are how old and need rest? Hope over 70.

You need to sleep? Why not go ask the director see if they'll give you a few hours. At least that's honest.

Edited by kynikoi

21 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

No, sorry open periods are there to plan lessons and interact with your students

NOBODY uses their "free time" to go find students and interact with them.  LOL.   Plan lessons?  Maybe 5%.    I don't remember, but I'm sure it took me less than 15 minutes to do a lesson plan for the entire week.  Gate duty is a joke, especially in the heat.  It's to make sure those falangs get tired before teaching.  lol.   

99% is looks.  I never met a good teacher in Thailand.   Not one I thought really helped kids learn English.  Well, except me.  lol.  NNES teachers are not helping, they are hurting.  Nothing personal, just too many mistakes when these kids can't afford to learn the wrong stuff.  

Meetings?  rare.   

Show up on time, look good, go to your classes....... you will be a "good teacher."   If you don't look good, nobody cares how good of a fake teacher you are.

Kids are great, which is why so many idiot teachers stick around.  The other teachers will likely hate you, give it time.  Extra drama is fun.

The OP needs to just give his 30 day notice and walk away.   

I remember when I stopped teaching years ago......The average new "teacher" wasn't educated, zero training, bad with large groups of kids, and spent half the class taking attendance.  Oh, and they showed up 15 minutes late and left early.  lol

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

NOBODY uses their "free time" to go find students and interact with them. 

Hopefully they will come to you if you have something to offer them...if you've invited them and allocated time some will come. But one thing certain if they know you're not there they won't come.

Why would you work at a school that asks you to do gate duty?  If you do...do it. But why?

Obviously, lesson plans YOU are not interested. I've worked with 120 of you no surprise there.

Edited by kynikoi

11 hours ago, kynikoi said:

No, i'm teaching about 4-5 hours a day, where did you get couple of hours from?

9 hours ago, kynikoi said:

S/he gave no indication. It's just another case of petty personal attack and one upsmanship. Inference here clearly the teacher is leaving a few hours a day.

What personal attack are you referring to? literally every post you make is a case of one upmanship, either how morally righteous or more intelligent you are

9 hours ago, kynikoi said:

No, sorry open periods are there to plan lessons and interact with your students not sleeping, smoking and drinking. You are how old and need rest? Hope over 70.

You need to sleep? Why not go ask the director see if they'll give you a few hours. At least that's honest.

Teaching 20 hours a week leaves you with another 20 hours free, no one takes 20 hours to plan lessons and interact with students. maybe so on an international or private program for double the salary

You don't post like someone who is a happy individual, I hope you get better 

Since this is most likely a troll topic to begin with and since it has degenerated into nothing more than a baiting/bickering session, I will close it.

//CLOSED//

• Like 2