Questions regarding Compulsory Automobile Insurance (Por Ror Bor)

Y Chang

Back in March I purchased my auto insurance which is the Type 1 fully comprehensive via a broker.  I thought this insurance covers the Por Ror Bor mandated by the Thai government.  A few days ago I went to Land Transportation Office to renew my car tax.  Only then did I notice that the policy of my fully comprehensive insurance stated ไม่รวม พ.ร.บ..  I was told that in order to renew my car tax I had to buy the Por Ror Bor.  So now I have 2 auto insurances with 2 insurance companies, as such I have the following questions:

1.  If an accident occurs, do I contact the Por Ror Bor insurance company first before the comprehensive insurance company?

2.  Is it typical that the Por Ror Bor insurance is purchased separately from the comprehensive insurance?

3.  Ideally, I want to have just one insurance policy and deal with one insurance company.  Is Por Ror Bor sold only by authorized companies?

4.  If car tax can only be renewed with a valid Por Ror Bor, does it mean that my auto insurance covered period needs to cover until the expiration of the next car tax?

Appreciate your time and look forward to your response.  And please feel free to offer any additional information or advise that can be helpful for this case.

Y

1. Contact your comprehensive company only.

2. Yes and no, sometimes it's included, sometimes not. It says on your comprehensive policy docs.

3. Not sure about that. But if you have comp you never have to talk to the other lot.

4. My understanding is that it just has to be valid on the day you apply for your tax, but I stand to be corrected on that one.

2 hours ago, Y Chang said:

And please feel free to offer any additional information or advise that can be helpful for this case.

Crossys info is how I understand it. 

My 1st class insurance payment includes CTPL govt insurance.

A while back something I read on a motorcycle policy cover comes to mind that some voluntary insurance policies are invalid without CTPL.

Maybe that's why it is compulsory, I can't confirm and I am not going to check it out so I stand to be corrected. 

• Like 1

The Por Ror Bor is only around 600 baht, and only covers injuries, not repairs or damage to property 

Some 1st class insurance will throw in the Por Ror Bor since it's so cheap anyway 

Only case where you'd contact the por ror bor for a claim is that the injured party is at the hospital, but there's a central system for por ror bor claim so you shouldn't worry, anything beyond what the por ror bor covers then goes on your 'voluntary' insurance be it 1st, 2nd or 3rd class.

Since Por Ror Bor is required to be shown at road tax renewal, many would like to have it expires on the same date as the road tax for convenience, and rather buy their own separately from the big insurance

• Like 1

• 7 months later...