Gyno Exams

cekipa

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend needs a good gynaecologist in BKK. She gets infections from time to time for reasons still unknown. Every time she goes to the gyno, he demands 7.000 baht which fees from my point of view are too high for Bangkok living standards. Could anyone recommend me a good and honest gyno around BKK ?

Any help is very much appreciated, thank you very much

Cekipa

7,000 baht is hard to believe if it is just an examination and medication. Even at the high end places like Bumrungrad and Samitivej the exam wouldn't exceed 1000. I hate to suggest these but (1) re you sure she is telling the truth about the cost? (2) is there any possibility she has a drug resistant sexually transmitted disease (in which case the medications required might be very costly, the exam itself would still not be over 1,000).?

If by infections you mean simple vaginitis, most women get this from time to time and it is easily treated with over the counter medication bought at any pharmacy (Gynecon is a brand which will treat both bacterial and fungal vaginitis). Doesn't mean it won't recur tho. Wearing all cotton undies can help.

If it is some other type of infection, provide details (or PM me if you like) and I'll see what I can recommend.

7,000 baht is hard to believe if it is just an examination and medication. Even at the high end places like Bumrungrad and Samitivej the exam wouldn't exceed 1000. I hate to suggest these but (1) re you sure she is telling the truth about the cost? (2) is there any possibility she has a drug resistant sexually transmitted disease (in which case the medications required might be very costly, the exam itself would still not be over 1,000).?

If by infections you mean simple vaginitis, most women get this from time to time and it is easily treated with over the counter medication bought at any pharmacy (Gynecon is a brand which will treat both bacterial and fungal vaginitis). Doesn't mean it won't recur tho. Wearing all cotton undies can help.

If it is some other type of infection, provide details (or PM me if you like) and I'll see what I can recommend.

Thanks 4 help Sheryl. I still do not know what sort of infection she gets but she has to take pills the doctor gave her. I gave her a list of pelvic pains women are affected to and told her to show it to the doctor and tell me about it (hope the doctor understands english though!). Due the occurring and the antibiotics prescribed, probably is not only vaginitis. Anyway, I will be more than pleased to tell you about it more specifically. It is good you recommended me Samitivej or Bumrungrad as high end places. Just one question: Gynecon is it an antibiotic ?

Could you go with her to find out what's what? I would recommend Dr Sankiat at Samitivej soi 49. He has a rather strange bedside manner, but did a lot of his training in the States and is fluent in English.

Good luck.

Gynecon is a vaginal suppository for the treatment of vaginal infections. it contains an antifungal agent and an antibacterial agent. It will not help if her problem is something other than a vaginal infection,e.g. if she has a infection of the uterus/pelvis (but in that case she would really need intravenous antibiotics and be quite sick, from the little information you provided it does not sound like this) or an infection of the urinary tract, or a reproductive tract disease that is not infectious in nature (e.g. endometriosis). Are you sure her problem is an infection?

If you could at least tell me what her symptoms are I would be better able to infer what her problem is. Also, do you happen to know what the breakdown on that 7000 Baht is, i.e. how much was medication, how much lab tests, how much just the doctors fee.

If this is info you are not comfortable posting on an open forum you can PM me.

At this point I can't even say if there is any need for her to change doctors let alone recommend one.

Thank U sheryl and leisurely. Today, she will be back to bumrungrad hospital for a double check but she still feels pain although she has taken all the pills the doctor prescribed her. Due to my impossibility to go with her, I told her to ask the doctor to write everything on a paper (never mind if in thai... :o ).

Last time she went, they decided to hospitalize her because she was feeling too much pain. Therefore the total bill was 7.000 but actually I am not able to tell how much the doctor fee was and that's what I want to find out.

If the doctor can speak and write english, it helps a lot. Most of the misunderstanding is due to the lack of speaking the same language especially about technical words.

When I will have the doctor's paper, I will be able to post more things.

PS: sheryl, I am not really good at forums. How can I PM you ?

Thank U sheryl and leisurely. Today, she will be back to bumrungrad hospital for a double check but she still feels pain although she has taken all the pills the doctor prescribed her. Due to my impossibility to go with her, I told her to ask the doctor to write everything on a paper (never mind if in thai... :o ).

Last time she went, they decided to hospitalize her because she was feeling too much pain. Therefore the total bill was 7.000 but actually I am not able to tell how much the doctor fee was and that's what I want to find out.

If the doctor can speak and write english, it helps a lot. Most of the misunderstanding is due to the lack of speaking the same language especially about technical words.

4 Wat it is worth

The Doctors at the Major Hospitals almost all write good english and many are happy to email you/your representative. When my TW was in Thailand caring for her terminally ill mother during which see got sick herself, the doctors at Mc Cormick and Maharaj emailed me even sending lab results which I had double checked here in Oz

To PM, click on my name then click "send message".

Where is her pain? It is sounding like she either has a pelvic infection or endometriosis, which are 2 very different conditions. If endometriosis, she will mainly have pain just before and during her monthly period, but no fever. If a pelvic infection she will have pain all the time and fever.

If you know the name of the medications she is taking, that will help me figure out what she has.

BTW if she was actually hospitalized at Bumrungrad, even if only for a night, 7,000 Baht is quite cheap and most of that will have been the cost of the room.

sheryl , the minute he said 'pain' i thought pelvic infection that reoccurs, in which case you (the OP) ought to trundle to your nearest doc and get yourself a check up too, since many STD'S and other flora/fauna play ping pong with our partners' parts too!!

sheryl, pelvic infections that are from STD's that have gone further than the vagina dont always cause fever but just the chronic pain...

bina

I would like to thank everybody for replying. YOUR HELP HAS BEEN TERRIFIC !! Especially when there is a language barrier between me and my partner. I discover things step by step and probably it is a STD what she is going through. Yesterday, the doc gave her more pills to take and the total bill was 4900 Baht at Bumrungrad. If after finishing the pills she will still feel pain, then I will definitely go with her to see the doc.

I think what Bina was getting at was that if she has an STD you might have it as well and need to be treated yourself. So whether or not she feels better, you may need to see a urologist or go to an STD clinic (I have heard the Thai Red Cross clinic in Bkk highly recommended). Before doing that, have your gf call the hospital and find out the name of the STD in English so that you can tell the doc what you have been exposed to. Good luck

If it's PID, it can sometimes be difficult and time-consuming to treat. Typically doctors try a course of one or two antibiotics, and if they don't work they have to try another, and so on until the right combo is found. A 23-year-old friend of mine had been battling PID on and off for nearly a year, and in the end only a course of intravenous antibiotics (I think it was Clindamycin) seems to have done the trick.

CDC on PID

Any other gyno recommendations in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, by the way, preferably someone without a strange bedside manner?

The drugs the doctor has prescribed her at first are:

- OFLOXIN

- OFLOXACIN

- SPOROXYL KETOCONAZOLE

As she still feels pain, the doctor decided to add 2 others which names I am not able to find out. Besides, she feels unusually sleepy after taking all the medicines. The other thing I want to find out is if she has PID in the fallopian tubes and ovaries.

Thanks a lot for any help

get thee to a urologist too!!!!!!!! sheryl translated my long sentence perfectly :o))

i suffered a mixed bag of STD'S (back in college days before herpes and someother nasties were well known) and my partner was the source but non symptomatic!! (and thai !! so of course he wouldnt go to a doctor anyway, and apparently had other partners -- i was naive back then) so the flora/fauna viruses et al kept ping ponging cause i got treated but he refused...

it doesnt matter 'who started it', both have to get treated....

btw, antibiotics make u tired especially when u are on a group of them; need to drink lots of water, and eat properly , maybe some vitamins (check w/sheryl which and when due to antibiotics mixing drugs etc); plenty sleep, and mental relaxation

bina