Trader in Rayong killed after being hit by drunk driver

webfact

10pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Horrific CCTV footage from Rayong in the early hours of Friday morning showed the moment when a drunk in a Mitsubishi Mirage plowed into a completely innocent woman waiting at a red light on her motorcycle. 

Nimnuan, 43, a female trader who was on her way to open her restaurant stall at 4.20 am, was killed instantly. 

Behind the wheel of the Mirage was 25 year old Phonrak who had been drinking with friends. He was injured. 

He ended up spinning and came to a stop on the other side of the road ahead of the intersection in Nern Phra sub-district of Muang District. 

10pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

He is an engineer at Ma Ta Phut industrial estate. Police said he had 110 mg of alcohol in his blood, about twice the limit. 

He was charged with DUI and negligence causing death. 

Daily News reported that the victim's elder sister Somsong, 44, happened to be in the area at the time and stopped as she saw several emergency vehicles at the scene. 

She said that the driver had donated 20,000 baht for funeral expenses and will be meeting with her and police on July 5th.

The funeral for her sister will take place on Wednesday. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-06-28
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

He donated 20,000 B towards the funeral expenses. Well that was good of him .

Killing someone while over the limit would get you several years in jail in a lot of countries, here it's a wai.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I am quite surprised that she had stopped on a red light at this time in a morning, unless the cctv that took the picture was used for enforcement. Near me when when I am walking the dogs at 6am everybody just goes through the red light without slowing down. It is a shame not all drivers and riders are as law abiding as this lady was. RIP

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

She said that the driver had donated 20,000 baht for funeral expenses and will be meeting with her and police on July 5th.

I hope he likes prison porridge... about 20 years worth.

59 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

I am quite surprised that she had stopped on a red light at this time in a morning, unless the cctv that took the picture was used for enforcement. Near me when when I am walking the dogs at 6am everybody just goes through the red light without slowing down. It is a shame not all drivers and riders are as law abiding as this lady was. RIP

In my neck of the woods traffic lights are only used as an indicator in the early hours, only after 6am do most people abide by the colour.

If this lady was sat in the central lane of a 3 lane road, in the dark without lights on her food cart there could be mitigating circumstances for a normal (non-drunk) driver, it may not even be considered their fault (if proven by dash-cam). 

However, as soon as anyone gets behind the wheel under the influence and has an accident all and any but the most extreme of mitigating circumstances can be thrown out.

In this case I am a member of the hang-em-high brigade. 

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

RIP, stick the drunk in jail for life.

I am interested by this though. Why is this particular road death reported in the newspapers, but not the other 10s of deaths that occur every day.

Maybe because of his extraordinary donation !

2 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Still staggers me that some people talk about "drink driving" as if it is no big deal..........I once suggested expats caught DUI should be expelled from the country and people were horrified.

The people who are horrified about kicking others out for a DUI are those that drink and drive. Quite a few of the expats on this forum said they drink and drive. They like the lax rules and that you can buy yourself free.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Plenty of time for him to come up with an excuse to why he killed her, or do a runner.

Just heard this morning on the news, the UK is thinking driver DUI and kill someone

should get a life sentence.

regards worgeordie

As you would know within Thai culture financial compensation is often preferred rather than the offender facing Court as indicated in the OP. I have observed negotiation being facilitated by police in the case of a Thai family member killed by a drunken Western car driver, together with the cost for the funeral.