Fil-Am medical professional repats leading push for Medicare for at least some Americans abroad

A lobbying group of Filipino-American medical professionals that have retired to the islands is trying to get the U.S. to offer otherwise eligible expats to get use of Medicare there.

They are proposing a feasibility study.

Surely if this was done for expats in the Philippines, it could be/should be expanded to other nations with significant numbers of American expats?

Cool, yeah?

Realistic chance though?

Home - Home (usmedicareph.org)

Bring Medicare home!

JOIN US Medicare in the Philippines!

We, Filipino Americans, medical professionals, retirees and community advocates, invite you to join our campaign to convince our American President and the U.S. Congress to allow long-term Medicare benefits coverage in the Philippines.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

As I will be eligible for Medicare next year, such move would be  great, but I am not holding my breath.

I am wondering if there are privately provided Medicare supplemental insurance, that would cover me anywhere in the world. -

I need to look into that, but I was wondering if you have already done so. 

18 minutes ago, sirineou said:

As I will be eligible for Medicare next year, such move would be  great, but I am not holding my breath.

I am wondering if there are privately provided Medicare supplemental insurance, that would cover me anywhere in the world. -

I need to look into that, but I was wondering if you have already done so. 

So I googled it , and so far it seems that some provide travel insurance, but it does not cover you indefinitely. It only covers you the first couple of months from you departure , and has a lifetime limit of , $50,000 if I understood correctly. 

Medical coverage while living outside the US is my biggest concern, as old age exclusions  and pre-existing conditions make private insurance not viable. So if Medicare could be convinced to cover abroad, it would be great. But with liberating countries in the meddle east being so expensive,  I think they are looking to cut benefits, not extend them.  

I'm 2 years out before I have to decide. What is wrong in my opinion is the 10% penalty they impose per year if you don't sign up for Medicare when eligible, the parts excluding part A which is free. Not only do I have to pay for something I can't use but if I don't pay I have a lifetime penalty. if I need it later. I have good insurance here and don't plan on going back to the states but who knows.

9 minutes ago, walt1 said:

I'm 2 years out before I have to decide. What is wrong in my opinion is the 10% penalty they impose per year if you don't sign up for Medicare when eligible, the parts excluding part A which is free. Not only do I have to pay for something I can't use but if I don't pay I have a lifetime penalty. if I need it later. I have good insurance here and don't plan on going back to the states but who knows.

Hi there.

You've presented a side issue.

Obviously all American expats learn to understand that Medicare is not usable if living abroad.

You are correct that Part A is free but you must pay for Part B if you want it, and the penalties are very harsh if you repatriate.

My understanding is that expats can't pay for Part D or Advantage even if they wanted to.

There is an exception for Part B. If the health insurance that you have while living abroad meets their specific criteria (you need to research that) than you would be exempt from the penalty upon repatriation.

Edited by Jingthing

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There is an exception for Part B. If the health insurance that you have while living abroad meets their specific criteria (you need to research that) than you would be exempt from the penalty upon repatriation.

There is a thread on that somewhere and I wouldn't qualify for the exemption. It looked like very few would.

4 minutes ago, walt1 said:

There is a thread on that somewhere and I wouldn't qualify for the exemption. It looked like very few would.

Oh, OK. Too bad.

That 10 percent per year penalty is brutal. Any expat that thinks there is even a small chance they will repatriate and for most of us there is at least that, in my opinion should probably just pay the Part B. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, andy said:

About as much chance of that happening as getting vaxxed by the US embassy, or getting money out of US politics.

And as a working expat who by law has not even been allowed to pay into Medicare for most of the past 2 decades, I personally do not care as I won't qualify anyway.  Loads of other working expats in the same boat.

Wake me up when we get blanket universal coverage for all (so in about 984 years) ????

I don't rate the chances good either but I don't think the vaccine issue and Medicare abroad are similar. The vaccine thing is about a state department policy that they're unwilling to make one exception to based on extraordinary circumstances.

The Medicare issue is a legislative issue about Medicare policy. Those of us thinking it should be expanded globally are either eligible for Medicare in the US or will be by paying into it. As that's not you, you're correct there would no rationale for including people that haven't met the qualifications in the US or abroad.

Edited by Jingthing