Honda Click 125i - engine goes off when stopped (at beginning of a ride)

Buuge

Hi,

I bought my Click (2013 model) 2 years back and it was running fine, no issues.

Did the maintenance (exchange filter, etc.) some months back and since then, the scooter most of the times goes off at beginning of a ride if it was standing for, lets say, a day.

Means: start engine -> ride from condo parking to the street (20-30 seconds) and stop -> engine goes off.

After riding for 1-2 minutes, no problem anymore when stopping.

I went to the same motorcycle place and he said it might be an old battery and changed it, but still same problem.

The idle stop also doesn't work anymore since the maintenance.

Anyone has a clue what this could be?

Edited by Buuge

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

There's a throttle stop adjustment under the seat which may need tweeking up a bit. You'll find in the bottom of the storage bin underneath a rubber bung. CW to increase revs.

Idle stop not working is usually sign that the battery is getting tired, but you've had a new one fitted so it can't be that.

Try tweeking the throttle stop first. It might fix both problems.

Yes could be Idle power I had the same problem, a tweak with the adjustment sorted it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buuge said:

Theres a switch next to the light switch for idle stop/idling

I think most (all) motorbikes have it?

Actually not possible as they just changed it. 

Thank you, will try that ????

Hope you get sorted maybe find a better helpful dealer than the one you go to.

I would take it to a different workshop but if you want it solved by us keyboard warriors we need to break the cycle. That is after bunging some fuel system cleaner into the tank. Cost about 30 baht.

1- Let the engine idle for the 20 to 30 seconds and then ride across the parking lot. See if that changes anything. Warmer engine vs cold engine.

2-Switch off idle stop. Or at least change the position of the switch to off/idling. Might rule out an electrical gremlin.

We also assume that the engine check light goes off  about 3 seconds after the ignition is turned on.

Is there a kerb or bump at the point at which it stops? Might be the side stand switch? Although that would manifest itself also after riding for 1-2 minutes?

Edited by VocalNeal

There's nothing wrong with it! There's a switch on the handlebars which goes from normal to automatic. I think with an A.

You will see an A lighted on the dashboard

Quite rightly after 20 or 30 seconds it switches the engine off at traffic lights. But you don't have to start the engine again just rev the accelerator. This is perfectly normal

Edited by Andyfez
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Ahhhh, just a crazy wild idea but maybe take it to a Honda bike dealership (if it wasn't a H dealership that created the problem in the first place). And, if it was take it to another Honda dealership.

• Haha 1

On 6/30/2021 at 9:15 AM, Buuge said:

The idle stop also doesn't work anymore since the maintenance.

Anyone has a clue what this could be?

The cause was an idiot doing the maintenance.

Try again with another shop.

Did you check he fitted 

1) a new battery

2) of the correct size?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

If you are in Pattaya go to Sukhumvit Soi 55, right there is the major parts suppliers for the entire area called PangYont, this is part of the Mityont Family major dealership in Pattaya.

What I've found in the Pattaya area with the dealership which nearly all belong to Mityont they have cut down and closed nearly all their service whatever is done now is just prepare the bike after it is sold. If they do service it is staff with very inexperience people right out of school just to do oil changes and minor stuff. You be better to go to a independent service place as I noted above.

I have a PCX, I use to have the idol switch on then after a year when stopped the light changed I hit the throttle it started to die, I took it to the shop above the guy gave me a new battery told me not to use the switch it drains the battery since then never had a problem nor have I needed to change battery so soon. 

• Like 1

As said already,

- Confirm they have fitted the correct rated battery this can be found in owners manual or online

- Check idle setting is correct via the adjuster mentioned under seat (get a Mech to do this for you if your not too sure)

- Have alternator output checked

- A drop of fuel system cleaner will do no harm (I personally dont buy fuel in Whisky Bottles at side of road unless its desperate emergency as I have let it run too low    on fuel - or in middle of no where - try always fill up at a Gas station

- Find a good Mech he will sort all above for you, seems strange you only have this trouble since the service and batt change so I would not be letting that guy touch it

Ultimatly pay a few baht extra and have it sorted at Honda... (You must know someone who knows a good Soi Mechanic - ask around) the ones that are good are        good but there is lots of complete idiots out there also    

Edited by Lokie

From the OP -

Means: start engine -> ride from condo parking to the street (20-30 seconds) and stop -> engine goes off.

After riding for 1-2 minutes, no problem anymore when stopping

Why would you check the alternator output ? Does it output low for 25-30 seconds and then magically fixes itself every single ride ?

Does a fuel starvation problem fix itself ?

Will the low idle fix itself ?

Problem lies in the auto stop/start feature, which is complete BS in itself. Would you rather buy one more litre a year of fuel or a new starter motor ?

Edited by canthai55

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The cause was an idiot doing the maintenance.

Try again with another shop.

Did you check he fitted 

1) a new battery

2) of the correct size?

I decided for the peace of mind of knowing no cowboy touches either of my expensive bikes (Vespa and ADV) I always take my ADV Honda Phuket Town. I have never had a problem and everything is always done perfectly. 

The tiny extra cost of such expert, brand-specific servicing is minute compared to a cheap as chips local 'bike-butcher'. Bike repairs and servicing is dirt cheap in LOS ... so when I bought these bikes I asked myself; Why would I bother counting maybe $10- $20 or so and not having the work done properly, my log books stamped and filled out correctly, as well as correct Spec parts, and warranty coverage for any work done? My bikes purr, never any issues.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Problem lies in the auto stop/start feature, which is complete BS in itself. Would you rather buy one more litre a year of fuel or a new starter motor ?

I've had the autostart from 2014, it only ever stopped without restarting when the battery was knackered. There is no starter motor it's part of the alternator. 

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

There is no starter motor it's part of the alternator. 

Starter motor on start up, alternator when running.

So Idle stop DOES use the starter motor to start the bike - hence the term starter motor

3 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

I decided for the peace of mind of knowing no cowboy touches either of my expensive bikes (Vespa and ADV) I always take my ADV Honda Phuket Town. I have never had a problem and everything is always done perfectly. 

The tiny extra cost of such expert, brand-specific servicing is minute compared to a cheap as chips local 'bike-butcher'. Bike repairs and servicing is dirt cheap in LOS ... so when I bought these bikes I asked myself; Why would I bother counting maybe $10- $20 or so and not having the work done properly, my log books stamped and filled out correctly, as well as correct Spec parts, and warranty coverage for any work done? My bikes purr, never any issues.

Some of the busy small garages have more expertise than the big name places, where I go you can watch the mechanic do the work

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, sorry for late reply, didnt need the motorbike often the last weeks 

I went to another repair shop today and they checked it.

idle stop: cable broken, will be replaced

motorbike goes off: they checked it but they couldnt find a problem (of course, because I was riding 5 mins to this shop and after some minutes of riding there's no problem anymore).

As they also did service, I will check if its somehow solved by this (new oil, filter and runs smoother now).

If it still happnes the next days, i will check the idle setting as mentioned above (can i use this Youtube Video as example? I dont understand a word ???? but it seems the tire should run a bit in idle?) 

Hi again, for your info:

On 6/30/2021 at 4:29 AM, Moonlover said:

There's a throttle stop adjustment under the seat which may need tweeking up a bit. You'll find in the bottom of the storage bin underneath a rubber bung. CW to increase revs.

This here solved both of my problems, thank you a lot @Moonlover 

I adjusted the mentioned screw a little bit (increased idle) and now the engine works fine at the beginning of a ride.

Also the idle stop is working now since I adjusted it .

Thank you all for your advice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2021 at 7:07 AM, canthai55 said:

The Defense rests Your Honor - 555

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:
On 7/8/2021 at 7:07 AM, canthai55 said:

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

The Defense rests Your Honor - 555

The idle/stop works very well on the Click as it does on my Aerox as well. Using a few less liters of fuel a year means a little less pollution in the environment, which is what idle/stop is all about.

By the way, the Click does not have a starter motor.

10 hours ago, Buuge said:

I adjusted the mentioned screw a little bit (increased idle) and now the engine works fine at the beginning of a ride.

Also the idle stop is working now since I adjusted it .

Thanks for letting me know. I'm pleased that I could help. ????

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

By the way, the Click does not have a starter motor.

Electric start without a starter motor - those guys at Honda are so clever !

They have a combined one - alternator when running, starter motor when not.

So the DO have a starter motor

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Electric start without a starter motor - those guys at Honda are so clever !

They have a combined one - alternator when running, starter motor when not.

So the DO have a starter motor

Sorry, if you were to strip down a Click engine you would not find a starter motor. You would come across a generator which very cleverly serves a double act as an engine starter. It's known as an Alternating Current System (ACG) starter.

Actually this is not a new system. It's been used for years on aero-engines. Us engineers used the colloquial term 'startergenny' and I've replaced a few in my time. Full marks to Honda (and others) for shrinking this technology down to fit inside a scooter.