Lesser Of The Evils - Mini Van To Ranong

MisterMan

I have avoided it for years but due to Singapore Consulate time changes my grand plan to do a 2 day visa run to Singapore has disolved.

What is the most comfortable mini van to Ranong? Which company has a nice one? with big seats and a safe driver. A few years ago a guy lost half his leg doing a visa run in one of those darn mini vans. IT crashed with a truck.

I have avoided it for years but due to Singapore Consulate time changes my grand plan to do a 2 day visa run to Singapore has disolved.

What is the most comfortable mini van to Ranong? Which company has a nice one? with big seats and a safe driver. A few years ago a guy lost half his leg doing a visa run in one of those darn mini vans. IT crashed with a truck.

First, just checking you do realize that a visa-run to Ranong only gets a 30-day stamp rather than whatever kind of visa you were going to get from the Singapore Consulate?

Anyway if you want a comfortable minibus you could try Bangkok Legal Services. I will admit up front that I am friends with the couple that run it but just the same there is no doubt they have bought a top-notch minibus. They do pick-ups from Karon, Patong and Kathu. Office Telephone: 076 304 072

Actually the guy who lost his leg was on the Club Andaman bus and not a minivan. Otherwise do as Smartie says - hire a car and take a leisurely drive. Would be cheaper if you could get a few people to join you. We normally go to the Andaman Pier to catch the ferry over (departs every hour until around 4 or 5:00pm), stay overnight at the club (nice facilities) and drive back the next day stopping at Khao Lak for lunch. More expensive than the usual visa run options - but well worth it as it is treated more like a holiday.

hire a nice car for the day

leisurely drive to ranong

big boat and and back

drive back

no need to put your life in the hands of some nutter behind the wheel of a mini van

I am a nutter behind the wheel of a car! I have acess to a car but am dont know anyone else who needs to do this visa run on 28th or 29th and dont like driving.

I have heard good things about Bangkok Legal Services as well however they dont go to Ranong on any of the days I need to go. Yes I am aware I only get a 30 day stamp and have a ticket to Sing for June. (Was a ticket for this month but was recently informed the consulate now only accepts applications up until 11:30 when before it was 12:30 but that is another story that required a big change of travel plans).

So which company has the big giant bus and about how long will that take in the low season with less people?

Or is there another company with a Mini van that is brand new with big cushy seats?

Thanks again for all the help.

The only time I tried to do it with a company they didn't show up and left me standing outside Cristan (sp) massage parlour in Patong for 2 hours the day before my visa expired. I am sure there are some reliable firms offering this service, I was probably just unlucky but I think the best way by far is to hire a small car (Toyota Vois?) for around 1000 baht and do it yourself. Much quicker, safer and more convenient. It's quite a pleasant drive from Phuket - I take my girlfriend with me and stop for a nice lunch and make a day of it!

Yorkshire Inn on Soi Sansabai (google for the website) - 1400 baht, includes lunch. I don't know why Thai or Bangkok Air doesn't run an ATR (twin turbo-prop) service from Phuket to Ranong (both these mobs run ATRs). I reckon you'd be there in 30 - 40 minutes.