ASEANNOW.com - Thaivisa.com rebrands and expands beyond Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Come on guys, embrace the change !!

After all who doesn’t want to know what Brunei expats are paying for a toastie at their 7/11 ??

I know I do !!

Though at the moment I cannot post a NEW topic in Thailand. Yes I can in one of the newly selectable countries, but I would be Pulling your %$#@ if I was to tell you what was going on in a 7/11 there.

Moderators ….. Is there a Fix any time soon?

On 7/2/2021 at 3:34 AM, edwardandtubs said:

Uninspiring name and I'm sure the non-Thai forums will remain largely empty. Expats in the Philippines and elsewhere have their own places to hang out.

What's more inspiring? ThaiVisa or ASEAN now? There's no inspiration in either name, but Inspiration is not the point of the name, but information. ThaiVisa did well due to the very complicated and confusing visa situation in Thailand and how most people got here in the first place (searching Thai visa). Taking Thaivisa out of the name is probably a mistake.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Salerno said:

I wouldn't have been almost finished a PM when the site bombed for one thing.

OK, in my world I respected my users of various sites by, for example:

• Letting them know in advance of updates/maintenance downtime so that are not caught in the middle of doing something when the site goes down
  • Letting them know what new functionality/changes to expect so they can prepare if necessary and ensure navigation/functionality changes don't leave them "lost"
  • Tried to build excitement for the upcoming improvements/new functionality to bring them along with me rather than <deleted> them off
  • Performed any upgrades/changes on a staging site prior to deploying to the live site to minimise any potential issues and disruption to the user
  • Tried to ensure any kinks/usability issues are ironed out before deploying live
  • Performed all navigation restructures prior to deploying live so things weren't changing as people where actually using the sites
  • If warranted, I engaged a beta group to test the site on staging before deploying live
  • Proactively elicited feedback/ideas from users re what changes they needed/wanted prior to making major changes to inform and help drive the direction of sites
  • Used prominent site notices to communicate so users didn't get those "what the ..." moments when they logged on which alleviates the vast majority of whinging and ensures the admin team aren't tied up answering individuals/the same question multiple times
  • In the case of bugs/network issues etc. used prominent site notices to let users know we where aware of the issue and what the expected timeline to resolution was, again, minimising the admin team being tied up answering individuals/the same question multiple times
  • Ensured the communication was honest and open with the users - guarantee there are some users out there with as much, if not more, knowledge and can tell if you are BSing them

Maybe it's just me, but to me those actions show respect; making major changes without prior communication or poor communication during unforeseen problems doesn't - and just leads to fallout and time wasted by the admin/mod team dealing with it.

None of which address the rebranding/direction ASEAN Now has taken per se, that wasn't the subject of my initial post. Not my site, not my call. I'm just addressing the daily running of any site.

It might just be you... I doubt anyone will leave due to your perceived "lack of respect" shown by the site admin. Are you going to leave because of it, or just whine about it?

I logged on for the first time today and noticed the name change. I was unaware of any disrespect shown by the site. Perhaps you are just too senstive and look for things to complain about.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Are you going to leave because of it, or just whine about it?

Did I say I was?

43 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Perhaps you are just too senstive and look for things to complain about.

If you say. I was answering a question; if someone thinks constructive feedback is just a complaint, not my problem. 

• Like 2

My 2 cents worth.... The change is fine as well as growth. Now we’ve 

further outlet’s to get in country replies... 

IMO is a notice was sent prior to change/uograde there would be

a million posts do this .. and that... 

lets try it anything we dont like address it to the contacts.. 

cheers enjoy everyday...

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2021 at 3:50 AM, CharlieH said:

Thai Visa has not been sold/acquired. Nothing has changed in onwnership since the the original purchase from George.

Its a rebrand nothing more.

Great news. Can you confirm that the owner of Thaivisa /Aseannow are still Alex Scalia ? 

• Like 1

And of course we want the font to be black , not grey .  But I see it's already been taken care of.  The technicians are working on it. Based in Hong Kong? 

20 hours ago, Salerno said:

Did I say I was?

If you say. I was answering a question; if someone thinks constructive feedback is just a complaint, not my problem. 

No, you did not, I was just asking if you were going to, as the perceived "disrespect" seemed to hit you hard.  

20 hours ago, Salerno said:

Did I say I was?

No, you did not. I was just curious if this perceived "disprespect" was enough to force you into retirement as it seemed to hit you hard. Having wasted a big part of my last 15 years debating, discussing and arguing about nothing on this forum, I've virtually retired from reading and posting myself. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Yes.

CharlieH, correct me please correct me if I am wrong. But the domain name owner for Thaivisa.com and Aseannow.com is Alex Scalia. ( along with many others) as can be confirmed by a simple search which you confirm likewise  However who owns the intellectual property rights for those two trading entities, do we know ? which is an entirely sperate issue ?

Edited by Excel

On 7/3/2021 at 12:09 PM, Salerno said:

I wouldn't have been almost finished a PM when the site bombed for one thing.

OK, in my world I respected my users of various sites by, for example:

• Letting them know in advance of updates/maintenance downtime so that are not caught in the middle of doing something when the site goes down
  • Letting them know what new functionality/changes to expect so they can prepare if necessary and ensure navigation/functionality changes don't leave them "lost"
  • Tried to build excitement for the upcoming improvements/new functionality to bring them along with me rather than <deleted> them off
  • Performed any upgrades/changes on a staging site prior to deploying to the live site to minimise any potential issues and disruption to the user
  • Tried to ensure any kinks/usability issues are ironed out before deploying live
  • Performed all navigation restructures prior to deploying live so things weren't changing as people where actually using the sites
  • If warranted, I engaged a beta group to test the site on staging before deploying live
  • Proactively elicited feedback/ideas from users re what changes they needed/wanted prior to making major changes to inform and help drive the direction of sites
  • Used prominent site notices to communicate so users didn't get those "what the ..." moments when they logged on which alleviates the vast majority of whinging and ensures the admin team aren't tied up answering individuals/the same question multiple times
  • In the case of bugs/network issues etc. used prominent site notices to let users know we where aware of the issue and what the expected timeline to resolution was, again, minimising the admin team being tied up answering individuals/the same question multiple times
  • Ensured the communication was honest and open with the users - guarantee there are some users out there with as much, if not more, knowledge and can tell if you are BSing them

Maybe it's just me, but to me those actions show respect; making major changes without prior communication or poor communication during unforeseen problems doesn't - and just leads to fallout and time wasted by the admin/mod team dealing with it.

None of which address the rebranding/direction ASEAN Now has taken per se, that wasn't the subject of my initial post. Not my site, not my call. I'm just addressing the daily running of any site.

Methinks you should asses your emotional investment in the topic.

First poster of the year, now this.

Damn you painful change!

On 7/4/2021 at 5:15 PM, tso310 said:

Does this mean that previously banned topics can now be discussed or are more topic restrictions going to be put in place ? 

While it was ThaiVisa I used a shortened name for Chinese communist and it was deleted so now we can't say anything bad about China 

forum is full of geriatrics and old people don't react well to change. not surprised by some of the replies from these fossils. 

the forum is still a complete mess, but its a smart direction to take. Still need to consolidate the sub forums a lot more and remove more of the adventorials.

No time to tread the whole thread but I agree with many of the earlier comments. I don't like the change. I've been a TVF member for over 16 years. Could have started a new ASEAN forum and left the successful format TV alone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2021 at 8:09 PM, Puccini said:

A moderator mentioned earlier in this topic that it is a "work in progress". 

Suggestion: Let us all take a week off ASEAN NOW formerly known as Thaivisa. How many can manage it without suffering withdrawal symptoms?

I am back from my sabbatical and see that text colour and contrast have improved to a readable level.