Identifying where AstraZeneca vaccine was made

Oxx

The European Union is banning foreigners vaccinated with the AstraZeneca vaccine made outside Europe from entering its territory.  How can I tell where the vaccination I received was made?

• Haha 1

on each vax there is some code to check if not faked. 

So there must be also details about manufacturer.

Thailand had ordered AZ fom italy, which has never arrived.

Instead they took from korea in february some 117.5k doses, as well at at the end of May unspecified quantity, when there was shortage of bioscience made locally.

I see it more a political action on side of EU against AZ, and not medically based one.

That's revenge for delays and cancellations the AZ made at the beginning of year, lawsuits. The AZ was forced to change name for it's vax 

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

The OP is a bit misleading.

The current news are only about AstraZeneca produced in India, under the name Covishield, see for example here: https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-57665765

If it also applies to AZ produced in Thailand has to be seen.

Nope.  The European Union has explicitly said that it will (currently) only accept versions of AstraZeneca vaccine produced in Europe.  The Indian version has received all the publicity because there are 5 million UK residents who've received it and can't go to Europe as things stand.  The Indian manufacturer is in the process of getting EU acceptance for its vaccine.  I haven't heard anything about the Thai manufacturer doing the same.

• Like 1

If you got vaccinated, there should be a lot number and maybe a serial number on the receipt or on your next appointment confirmation. Next step, tracing the information. In general, many companies provide access to manufacturing data, but I doubt vaccine manufactures will unless required to.  Vaccine providers like hospitals should have this information and I doubt they will keep it secret. I would start with the  hospital.

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

The European Union has explicitly said that it will (currently) only accept versions of AstraZeneca vaccine produced in Europe. 

Yeah, seeing more reports on this. Seems like any AZ administered here may not be acceptable for travel to the EU.

Would suck massively for Thais, including politicos, miitary, diplomatic, business types, upper crust, if they couldn't travel until they got a real vaccine.

Arrangements for a real vaccine for the select few would have to be arranged. And it would probably be done quickly for them.

Ouch.

13 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Yeah, seeing more reports on this. Seems like any AZ administered here may not be acceptable for travel to the EU.

Would suck massively for Thais, including politicos, miitary, diplomatic, business types, upper crust, if they couldn't travel until they got a real vaccine.

Arrangements for a real vaccine for the select few would have to be arranged. And it would probably be done quickly for them.

Ouch.

Or Europeans in Thailand who want to return home but cannot.

19 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Or Europeans in Thailand who want to return home but cannot.

I've got to hope that individual countries will their citizens to return home, regardless of vaccination status?

Whether airlines and transit points allow this remains to be determined.

There may well come a time when we can't leave (Thailand) because we can't get a real vaccine. This is starting to shade my decision to return home to get a vaccine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Do you really think these people haven't had one yet? 

Do you think only US embassy staff got Pfizer here?

1 hour ago, cormanr7 said:

PS I had to make the font bold due to the horrible grey, waver-thin eye-straining font used on the new site. 

Thank you for doing that. It made it so much easier to read.

• Like 1

After being fully vaccinated,  you will receive your THAILAND CERTIFICATE OF COVID-19 VACCINATION. Pictures in several threads. I attach one from an old thread. 

The manufacturer is clearly stated.

Screenshot_20210613-132958_Brave.jpg

Something you will want to check out if you are considering AZ in Thailand and want to travel to the EU or USA. I'm sure more information will be forthcoming...

"Millions of vaccines administered <in the UK> do not qualify for the European Union’s vaccine passport scheme, because the shots were manufactured in India and are not yet authorised by the European Medicines Agency (EMA).

The EMA approved vaccines are Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson, and the version of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine manufactured in the UK or Europe, which is sold under the brand name Vaxzevria.

The UK authorities have used the brand name Vaxzevria on all UK medical records where the AstraZeneca vaccine has been used, but up to five million doses are actually the Indian-made Covishield version.

British travellers face a similar issue in the United States where no version of the AstraZeneca shot has yet been licensed.

For example, vaccine certificates were a requirement for entry to a Bruce Springsteen show on Broadway in New York last month – but only shots approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) were accepted. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/eu-vaccine-passport-excludes-5m-britons-given-indian-made-astrazeneca

21 hours ago, Oxx said:

Nope.  The European Union has explicitly said that it will (currently) only accept versions of AstraZeneca vaccine produced in Europe.  The Indian version has received all the publicity because there are 5 million UK residents who've received it and can't go to Europe as things stand.  The Indian manufacturer is in the process of getting EU acceptance for its vaccine.  I haven't heard anything about the Thai manufacturer doing the same.

Your information is not quite correct. 

Every sovereign country in the EU has its own entry regulations. 

Austria, for example,  accepts Sinovac, Sinopharm, and AZ made in India. 

See "Anlage C" (in Austrian language ;)):

https://www.ris.bka.gv.at/NormDokument.wxe?Abfrage=Bundesnormen&Gesetzesnummer=20011574&Anlage=5&Uebergangsrecht

This is the basis for the rules, with a link to Anlage C????

https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/themen/coronavirus_in_oesterreich/pre-travel-clearance.html

Germany,  on the other side,  does not accept any of the Chinese ones (or any other Chinese vaccine,  it seems)  but does accept AZ from Thailand,  at least that's how they write it. You can always discuss the issue with the German immigration authorities,  have fun!

https://www.pei.de/DE/newsroom/dossier/coronavirus/coronavirus-inhalt.html;jsessionid=35E8783F0D58206A2DA0CDF143C7C9B2.intranet211?nn=221090&cms_pos=3

Link to download "Liste der Zulassungen und Impfstoffproduktnamen in Drittstaaten (außerhalb EU und EWR) - Stand: 29.06.2021" (in German language):

https://www.pei.de/SharedDocs/Downloads/DE/newsroom/dossiers/namen-covid-19-impfstoffe-ausland.html;jsessionid=FE0585CA69ABCC20CCFF5011B0BD3A16.intranet211?nn=221090

Edited by Lorry