Ganja Coffee - Legit or total scam?

So I spotted between Patong and Kamala a little coffee shop with a big cannabis leaf as logo. So I stopped and asked If they sell cannabis, and they told me that they sell it in tea bottle. I bought a bottle out of curiosity, but haven't try yet.

Then I'm wondering how they could possibly be selling and advertising themself selling ganja. Isn't it highly illegal to sell it? The authorities don't care at all?

20210703_173652.jpg

• Haha 1

A post has been removed

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEANNOW.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

• Haha 1

Leaves have very low THC content so you won't be getting high from it. 

Think in Feb 2021 they removed most plant parts except high THC buds from narcotic control list via royal gazette announcement. So it's legal but shop also have the registration for selling ganja to be fully legal. 

There's a bunch of these 'Nam Ganja' juices being sold all around Bangkok now....the rub is it's the essence that retains the taste and smell but  none of the psychoactive properties. In JJ Mall, the little independent coffee cart there was selling them like hotcakes to a bunch of Japanese businessmen last week.

There has been an explosion of these Ganja themed restaurants, drinks etc. Its all on the back of Thailand legalising CBD oil, Which comes from a different hemp plant that doesn't get you stoned etc.

They are just using hemp (the one that doesn't get you high) in a variety of food, drinks etc, its just a novelty, a photo op.

• Like 1

I tried a portion of ganja coconut ice cream. The vendor pushing it lied to me by saying there was lots of ganja in it but it turned out it was only on the top layer. I did enjoy the flavor and it was ganja flavor but there is nothing else to it and for me not worth the premium price. 

• Haha 1

leba: My understanding is that smoking it in any way, shape, or form is still technically illegal, and that the only legal use currently is in tincture/oral form.

That said... that stuff doesn't look too bad, if the color in the photo is an accurate representation. Looks like it's not the fermented brown shwag. Was it a "black market" acquisition, or did some place purporting to be an official outlet sell it to you? I wonder whether it smells at all like the Thai sticks of yesteryear—the most wonderful product ever, in my memories.

Edited by PadPrikKhing
  • Haha 1

Thought I'd add, the first thing to keep in mind when it comes to cannabis in drinks generally and cold drinks in particular is that the major cannabinoids like THC, CBD, etc. are not water soluble. So unless a high-tech emulsification scheme is used, the cannabinoids can't even blend into the drink any more than you could get butter to mix nicely into a glass of iced tea. So all you're getting in a "ganja cold drink" is going to be the chlorophyll, tannins, maybe a little bit of terpenoids, and any other water-souble and non-psychoactive constituents.

In California, Colorado, etc., they have actually figured out the emulsification process that can result in potent drinks, but it's not something that is yet being done in Thailand, I can almost guarantee.