Welcome to ASEAN! How Rooster stumbled into Thailand via the neighbors!

rooster59

Thanks for the memories, Rooster. The first trip to Thailand is still a good memory. I spent 3 nights in Bangkok near the Shangri-La hotel

had tea there near the river. Tried and failed to go into The Oriental hotel, as I was not wearing a tie. 

Travelled to Pattaya and stayed 3 hot days and hotter nights there, then flew south for 10 days at Kata beach in Phuket.  Stayed at Friendship Bungalows, which sadly are gone now.   I remember eating too much tiger prawns and drinking too much Singha, and the

rest of my money I just wasted on women.  No Regerts.  I really enjoyed swimming in the ocean at Kata beach as the waves were small, and I was able to snorkel at the south end of the bay in a grotto with coral and interesting fish.

Good memories.  Many trips later, and I still enjoy my visits to Thailand, though now I generally go to Jomtien Beach near Pattaya

and Hua Hin.

Geezer

13 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

One thing please Administrators. This new ASEAN NOW theme. Have you changed the fonts in the forums and responses??? It now seems light grey not black and makes it difficult to read even on a tablet let alone a telephone and outside even more difficult. Thanks??

And small Emoji's have no function image.png.5619acb5874131879a19d7fbb1f7582f.png 

Thinking Sam.png

Edited by sammieuk1

4 hours ago, balo said:

I agree with the circle being a corporate thing. Try something different. 

Yeah, I admit I exaggerated just a bit for effect, but yes, exactly. It might be good for potential investors but it's completely off tone for users. 

Perhaps they intend to open Asean Now Bank?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Many trips later, and I still enjoy my visits to Thailand, though now I generally go to Jomtien Beach near Pattaya

Those snorkeling near Pattaya get to view some very unusual sea creatures,  faecibus exturbandis opitulator  being the most common.

21 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

One thing please Administrators. This new ASEAN NOW theme. Have you changed the fonts in the forums and responses??? It now seems light grey not black and makes it difficult to read even on a tablet let alone a telephone and outside even more difficult. Thanks??

Yes! Yes! and triple YES!  Please darken the font and increase the size a bit.  Well, actually NOT being able to read what is written might be a blessing if more illustrations could be added.

22 hours ago, pmarlin said:

You  took a perfectly good forum that was directed towards a specific audience and ruined it. New is not always better. The site is confusing and difficult to navigate.  

Those old Whingers on that site <deleted> 

The company that run this suite of sites is based in HK and HK days are numbered for any wetern media org. but feel free to go ahead and mock your readership for pointing out the bleeding obvious.

So, when does the company move, and to where?

Singapore is good, unless you're a hippie. 

Albeit the current events are alarming and I am always concerned for my Thai family's safety and well-being you have posted another insightful, delightful, and spirited journey down memory lane. I'm another old hippie. We were, we are. 5555555.

Thank you Rooster59. 

Nice Job again Roster !!! ... Good to see you still around, though under w new Logo, ... 

Like I do Stocks on the Stock markets ... and well ... When the Directors change the Companies Name !!! ??? ... ... Well I often  consider it a Time wasting Ego / Excuse to keep them on the pay role ? and also a very good hint on, ... that it is time to sell them !!! ??? ....JFYI. ... And also when I was a navigator on a Scheismic Exploration Boat .... I also noted that the new Chiefs ... first actions, ... quite often used to change the way that we filled out the Logs !!! ... Like even if it was back to the way it was two or so Chiefs ago !!! .....  Like Real, Ego Timewasting Pomposity !!! ??? 

No I do not like the new Logo (I wonder how much the marketing people got paid to do it ??? ...) ... It looks Cheap if you ask me ! ? ... And well the Durian ? Well I never noticed it but well, I DID like the Old Logo, and the Old The Week that was mayhem, and over crowded disaster splashed all over the page as well !!! ....

Still things do Change I guess. ... 

Yes "Thongs" ... That is a Roman name for  G' string isn't it ??? ...

... Yes the New Zealanders call them Jandels right ! ? ... Both names being marketing names from the Original manufactures of the Rubber version of them Maybe ??? ... Though well, I am not to sure where "Jandels" came from ? .... The Kiwis a bit smarter then us Auzies at avoiding Marketing I think ??? ....

... Like Chilly Bins ... In N. Z. ... or Eskies in Australia, and yes yet another Early product's Marketing name !!! (For Eskies at least ! ) ... Like "Doo Yen" in Thailand ? (Fridge) or well maybe "Lung Yen" ?  ... Box, Cold ??? ... ..

Hence the famous New Zealand Philosopher, ... who used to do the cooking in a fabled old Western Australian North West Iron Ore mining exploration camp !!! ... "Sir Jandel's Chilly Bins" !!!

......."I’ve never been to Myanmar, Laos or Cambodia. I have travelled extensively in Indonesia and been to more Scrabble tournaments in Malaysia and Singapore than I care to remember. But neither Brunei nor Vietnam...chern khrap, be my guest, if you fancy those.".....(Rooster)

Hm,...never been to Brunei eider, but have travelled extensively in all other countries in South East Asia for the last 30 years and I have to say,...You don't know what you have missed !!!

• Like 1

This week's story certainly stirred the memories  of a lot of us old hippies/travellers - well done. 

As for the aseannow name, I agree completely thoughtless and uninspiring - if there was a need - that's if, a play on Thai would have been more appropriate - maybe something like Thai now - at the end of the day I would suggest the main audience now and into the future will be Thai expats and those interested in Thailand. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 11:31 PM, Mark mark said:

Yes "Thongs" ... That is a Roman name for  G' string isn't it ??? ...

... Yes the New Zealanders call them Jandels right ! ? ... Both names being marketing names from the Original manufactures of the Rubber version of them Maybe ??? ... Though well, I am not to sure where "Jandels" came from ? .... The Kiwis a bit smarter then us Auzies at avoiding Marketing I think ??? ....

... Like Chilly Bins ... In N. Z. ... or Eskies in Australia, and yes yet another Early product's Marketing name !!! (For Eskies at least ! ) ... Like "Doo Yen" in Thailand ? (Fridge) or well maybe "Lung Yen" ?  ... Box, Cold ??? ... ..

Hence the famous New Zealand Philosopher, ... who used to do the cooking in a fabled old Western Australian North West Iron Ore mining exploration camp !!! ... "Sir Jandel's Chilly Bins" !!!

Ho Chi Minh's in the Vietnam war, made from vehicle tires, still had the tire treads on them, inner tubes for the straps, cost??  $1.00 in the markets.

• Thanks 1