What documents must you have in your possession when out and do they have to be originals

Thomas J

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

When they come to my home a number of times the passport is all they wanted to see. 

I was being facetious about Thailands love of paper and official stamping of documents. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thomas J said:

I was being facetious about Thailands love of paper and official stamping of documents. 

Yeah OK I've been immigration yesterday for marriage with some of a rain forest.

23 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

I know your response was in reply to somebody else, but in my case

1. They were next to a pickup emblazoned on the side and tailgate with "Immigration"

2. They were wearing uniforms, handguns and openly wearing vests which declared "Immigration"

3. They were wearing ID badges round their necks declaring "Immigration" and

4. I recognized one of them from my visits to the local Immigration Office

Therefore I had no doubt they were exactly what they said they were.

Please continue.....

On 7/7/2021 at 8:19 AM, possum1931 said:

I had pictures on my passport, it was there plain as day with details of my re entry permit, and Thai immigration refused to accept it. It had to be out of pure badness.

Did you try paying them a drink??  55555

• Confused 1

It's fairly easy to replace a U.S. passport, so I carry mine with me, along with TDL even though I don't drive.  One credit card and a few thousand baht in cash.  It's amazing how many times I'm asked for my passport when doing mundane errands, like paying mobile phone bill, getting senior discount card for the cinema, buying a major appliance at Home Pro, etc.  Maybe a copy would be OK in these situations, maybe a TDL.  

Hubby has relevant pages on his phone and just carries TDL and cash.  But, I do the errands that involve money transfer and have to remind him to bring his passport if we're doing banking that involves our joint accounts or renewing insurance policies, etc.  

I think foreigners who say they're never asked for their passport must have Thai family members or friends who run their lives for them.  

On 7/6/2021 at 3:13 PM, Russell17au said:

Unless you are a permanent resident of Thailand not a temporary resident (Non-Imm Visa of any class with extension) then legally you are required to carry your passport at all times outside your residence. Many will argue about this but it is up to the officer that stops you on what he will accept. He may accept photo copies or photo's on a mobile phone but he may not accept any of them and only accept you original passport. The risk is up to you on what you carry but if you are stopped then it is up to the police officer on what he will accept. I have a shoulder bag and I carry my passport, my bank books, my blue book for the truck, my wallet with my cards and cash in but I carry an extra metal folder with my Thai drivers license in so that if I get stopped then I can show my drivers license without them seeing my wallet.

Please quote the law based on which you are purporting to give definitive legal advice

The fact that the police sometimes require the original of documents does not mean that that is necessarily the law that you have to have them with you at all times. 

My understanding is that that the law requires all persons (including Thais) to have their ID on them at all times. Thais obviously have Thai ID cards, and for foreigners (even those with PR who are not issued a Thai ID card but only a booklet and possibly a Pink ID card), this is 'interpreted' by the police to be the actual passport

I am not disputing what some police may require as a matter of practice, and I am not disputing that trying to argue the legalities of Thai law with a Thai policeman (or woman) is invariably a waste of time and energy, but saying that something 'is the law' isn't the same as saying that 'the police can require xyz'

Even if you are required to provide your original passport to immigration to inspect, they are meant to permit you to produce the same to a local police station or get someone to bring to the station for you if that's where they take you