What documents must you have in your possession when out and do they have to be originals

Thomas J

I learned the hard way that you should never have the original of the car registration/ownership booklet in the car. Keep a photocopy there, because you may have to produce it in very unusual circumstances. The reason you don't keep the original there is it makes it easy for a car thief to transfer legitimate ownership to another person.

I remember once, about twenty-five years ago, after a terrorist incident at the American Embassy, there was a period of about a week when police were checking documents. I had to show my passport once while riding a taxi home around midnight. Most people who have posted here on the topic recommend carrying a xerox copy. Most people don't bother. I don't.

Edited by Acharn
improve formatting

On 7/5/2021 at 12:30 PM, chalawaan said:

Dont forget to carry a written apology for being in Thailand while not being Thai.

I already carry a blanket apology for not being Thai. Do I need an additional one about being in Thailand?

6 minutes ago, aboctok said:

I already carry a blanket apology for not being Thai. Do I need an additional one about being in Thailand?

Well I know if you are not one of the oppressed group of people in the USA you need an apology for being born into the privileged ethnicity. 

• Like 2

On 7/4/2021 at 5:48 PM, 4MyEgo said:

I have pictures of my passport page in my mobile, plus the extension page stamp and 90 days report (updated) every 90 days.

Never been asked to produce anything apart from drivers license, which is Thai, I also offer my pink ID Card at the same time and good to go at the usual routine police check points.

Jack Black Salute GIF - SchoolOfRock JackBlack DeweyFinn GIFs

I had pictures on my passport, it was there plain as day with details of my re entry permit, and Thai immigration refused to accept it. It had to be out of pure badness.

On 7/4/2021 at 6:01 PM, bkk6060 said:

I would never carry my original passport in a car.

But if you do and are afraid of theft, why don't you keep it on your person when you exit the vehicle?

It fits in just about any pocket, right?

Wrong, too much hassle, easily lost.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2021 at 6:51 PM, foreverlomsak said:

Car book I get conflicting info from Thai's when I ask, so I only keep copy in car.

Passport, I was stopped in the street by 3 Immigration Officers, all armed with handguns, and was informed that

1) Pink Card means nothing to them.

2) Driving License means nothin to them.

3) Photocopies of Passport photo page, latest extensions page and TM6 mean nothing as they may not be real.

Was informed I must carry my passport at all times when away from house.

Others will say different but that is what happened to me, and not in any tourist area either.

I'm not surprised, this is Thailand. I will not carry my passport at all times, no matter what they say. I do not agree with it so that's that.

• Like 1

Always DL, I only carry my passport if driving say 2hrs + away from home, in case of some emergency, only legal insurance required, is paid for on road tax, private insurance help line number, car book only for going to re-new tax, I got stopped and fined once for not displaying tax disc, and once for it out of date, my bad, but the cops have never asked to see the book. never.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I had pictures on my passport, it was there plain as day with details of my re entry permit, and Thai immigration refused to accept it. It had to be out of pure badness.

Immigration will only accept originals, he was asking what papers were required for him to keep with him when out and about.

Did you get stopped by immigration, I don' think so ?

• Like 1

No need to carry your original passport. I carry a color copy with a copy of the visa page on the back of it. I use my driver's license or pink ID card for hotels and domestic flights. 

Ignore any official who says otherwise. They don't know much anyway. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

Immigration will only accept originals, he was asking what papers were required for him to keep with him when out and about.

The photo on my phone was original, I know what the topic is about. Some poster mentioned passport photos in a phone, so I answered it, got it?

• Sad 1

On 7/4/2021 at 6:01 PM, bkk6060 said:

I would never carry my original passport in a car.

But if you do and are afraid of theft, why don't you keep it on your person when you exit the vehicle?

It fits in just about any pocket, right?

Not in mine, my pockets are full of 1000Thb bills. 55555

Car book I get conflicting info from Thai's when I ask, so I only keep copy in car.

Passport, I was stopped in the street by 3 Immigration Officers, all armed with handguns, and was informed that

3) Photocopies of Passport photo page, latest extensions page and TM6 mean nothing as they may not be real.

Others will say different but that is what happened to me, and not in any tourist area either.

Not really surprising, I think, since neither 1) nor 2) include the date when your current permission to stay expires. And, in the case of 3), a permission to stay stamp can, of course, easily be doctored through photoshopping.

I always carry my passport around with me, secured to the breast pocket of the shirt I'm wearing with a bulldog clip (and wrapped inside a waterproof bag at this time of the year to guard against the elements). No big deal IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I know your response was in reply to somebody else, but in my case

1. They were next to a pickup emblazoned on the side and tailgate with "Immigration"

2. They were wearing uniforms, handguns and openly wearing vests which declared "Immigration"

3. They were wearing ID badges round their necks declaring "Immigration" and

4. I recognized one of them from my visits to the local Immigration Office

Therefore I had no doubt they were exactly what they said they were.

On 7/6/2021 at 7:14 PM, Thomas J said:

Well I know if you are not one of the oppressed group of people in the USA you need an apology for being born into the privileged ethnicity. 

In the UK it's now illegal to not be a member of an oppressed minority religious, ethnic or sexual orientation group.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

In the UK it's now illegal to not be a member of an oppressed minority religious, ethnic or sexual orientation group.

and soon anyone without a smartphone and an "app" will be a second-class citizen.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kinnock said:

In the UK it's now illegal to not be a member of an oppressed minority religious, ethnic or sexual orientation group

Seems to have one giant flaw.  Who can the oppressed groups now blame.

• Like 1

They will always topped you and end up intimidating you that's there job whether they are right or not is up to them. 

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

They will always topped you and end up intimidating you that's there job whether they are right or not is up to them. 

It isn't just asking form them here in Thailand, it is when they ask for multiple copies, of every document, legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the U.S. Embassy that it goes over the top ????

2 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

It isn't just asking form them here in Thailand, it is when they ask for multiple copies, of every document, legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the U.S. Embassy that it goes over the top ????

Never experienced that kind of thing or behavior by immigration officer's outside of the office.

When they come to my home a number of times the passport is all they wanted to see.