Hail, Liverpool.

lampard10

Something for football fans the World over to think, :D argue and disagee :o about. Maybe a few of you might agree with me :D

The Cup might have A.C. Milan's name on it, but it should be Liverpools by default. They lost in the final to a non-goal, beaten by a team that should not be in the competition in the first place. I have watched the incident on TV many times, and how a ref can give such a goal, when there was even a hint of handball about it I don't know.

They were accused and proved to be cheats, yet they were still allowed to play in Europes most prestidgeous competition. The powers to be obviously decided the competition would not be the same with them. Just like the World cup powers to be probably decided that Australia were not well known enough to knock Italy out of the competition.

Of course to endorse this, FIFA named an Italian as their footballer of the year.

Just goes to prove, it does pay to cheat.

I think the whole football world should unite on this and get Italy to play to the same rules as the rest of us.

PS I have waited a day to post this, because I thought there would be some Liverpool fans with the same tune. It seems though, all the Scousers have been great sportsmen, and taken it on the chin.

Edited by lampard10

Once Milan were allowed to play in the competiiton, the issue of whether they should be in the final becomes irrelevant. Already done and dusted.

The first goal was a jammy one. Handball? He didn't know anything about it. One to argue about. But Liverpool didn't lose to one goal. The second one was very good.

Liverpool lost because they don't have a top quality striker and their wide men were not up to the job. It's a shame because they played much better than 2005.

But that's football.

Edited by Tarragona

The referee allowed the first goal therefore it is a goal: in the FA Cup Final, the referee did not allow the United goal therefore it wasn't a goal. Sometimes, in football, as in life, decisions go in your favour and sometimes not. Please get over it and get a life.

PS I have waited a day to post this, because I thought there would be some Liverpool fans with the same tune. It seems though, all the Scousers have been great sportsmen, and taken it on the chin.

I've not seen any reference to your original post anywhere, let alone here.

Most have been expressing various levels of disgust and comment on the moronic behaviour of a section of Liverpool supporters in Athens ala Heysel and Hillsborough.

A tenious handball decision fades into insignificance when we're lucky not be speaking of yet another Liverpool involved disaster.

ps

I don't blame Liverpool supporters per se. But tend to look at the overall picture. But they do shoulder a great percentage of the responsibility and - drooling at the mouth media apart - have yet again dragged the name of Liverpool FC into the gutter.

Seems like the British tradition of steeling the trophy is over.

Being a huge fan of English football, I have to admit that the 2 last winners (Man U, and Liverpool) more or less stole the cup in their matches.

Everybody seem to forget this.

Regarding cheating in Italian football, agree. Cheating was inveted there, and is a deep rooted tradition.

The match.

Liverpool dominated only because AC Milan let them.

Have never seen such a good team (Milan) make so many personal errors.

The most experienced back 4, and superb midfielders could hardly make 3 passes.

They gave away the ball again and again, and let Liverpool play their game.

Yes, you might say it was because of Livepool were closing them down. But at this level it should not have that much impact. And especially when there are more technical players in AC Milan.

I love English football, but no way is Liverpool up to the same standard as AC Milan when they both play their best.

rgds

Sailor

Something for football fans the World over to think, :D argue and disagee :o about. Maybe a few of you might agree with me :D

The Cup might have A.C. Milan's name on it, but it should be Liverpools by default. They lost in the final to a non-goal, beaten by a team that should not be in the competition in the first place. I have watched the incident on TV many times, and how a ref can give such a goal, when there was even a hint of handball about it I don't know.

They were accused and proved to be cheats, yet they were still allowed to play in Europes most prestidgeous competition. The powers to be obviously decided the competition would not be the same with them. Just like the World cup powers to be probably decided that Australia were not well known enough to knock Italy out of the competition.

Of course to endorse this, FIFA named an Italian as their footballer of the year.

Just goes to prove, it does pay to cheat.

I think the whole football world should unite on this and get Italy to play to the same rules as the rest of us.

Great post lampard10 , did'nt know you cared :D .

But your right , the Italians have always been cheating scumbags ,they actually start training how to dive , from their own trainers , at the age of 8. For them , winning a penalty by cheating or scoring a goal by cheating is fair game :D:bah: .

But , at the end of the day is night, and at the end of the day they won so they deserve it. But they will have a huge target on their backs for years to come.

Being a huge fan of English football, I have to admit that the 2 last winners (Man U, and Liverpool) more or less stole the cup in their matches.

Regarding cheating in Italian football, agree. Cheating was inveted there, and is a deep rooted tradition.

The match.

Yes, you might say it was because of Livepool were closing them down. But at this level it should not have that much impact. And especially when there are more technical players in AC Milan.

I love English football, but no way is Liverpool up to the same standard as AC Milan when they both play their best.

rgds

Sailor

When we won the cup in 2005 , we produced one , if not the greatest come backs in a football match of all time. Hardly stealing the cup I think. How many other teams have come from 3-0 down in the final of the champions league and gone on to win .......... :o:D .

Most have been expressing various levels of disgust and comment on the moronic behaviour of a section of Liverpool supporters in Athens ala Heysel and Hillsborough.

A tenious handball decision fades into insignificance when we're lucky not be speaking of yet another Liverpool involved disaster.

ps

I don't blame Liverpool supporters per se. But tend to look at the overall picture. But they do shoulder a great percentage of the responsibility and - drooling at the mouth media apart - have yet again dragged the name of Liverpool FC into the gutter.

Steady on Hammer , dont be mentioning Heysel or Hillsborough in comparrison to Athens.

What happend in Athens is an under 8's schoolboy game in comparrison.

What happened is first the incompetence of the Greek police showed through when they allowed fans without tickets to enter the stadium.

The stadium the final was held in was'nt even a football stadium and should never have took place there , a decision which was down to uefa.

Liverpool fans who had probabaly spent a few thousand pounds to get there and had a legitimate ticket were told "sorry , were full , you cant come in even though you've spent x amount of time and money coming here".

And then when a few of the fans get a bit angry they cant get in the ground they throw a few bottles and the police retaliates and then the media have a field day because its Liverpool fans.

In the end , the only thing of shocking factor that happened was we got beat , all that other <deleted> is jazzed up to sell newspapers

I am impartial (well, sort of, my wife's a Liverpudlian and we live in Liverpool). I can seriously say that Liverpool deserved to win, but didn't! Football is often unfair and this was a bad result.

Regarding the 'bad' behaviour of Liverpool fans, we watched it in a pub in Liverpool city centre, everywhere was packed with fans. Liverpool supporters are the best behaved, most enthusiastic supporters ever! The atmosphere was unbelievable right to the finish. And although they got beaten, of course they were disappointed, they did take it on the chin. In every game someone has to win and someone has to lose.

Just a bummer that on the night the best team didn't win!

The match.

rgds

Sailor

When we won the cup in 2005 , we produced one , if not the greatest come backs in a football match of all time. Hardly stealing the cup I think. How many other teams have come from 3-0 down in the final of the champions league and gone on to win .......... :o:D .

hehehe

I was waiting for that one.

Yes, it is true, the come back was great. 6-7 minutes brilliantly played. And then......the lotto, which is what a penalty shoot out is. Better with a sudden death, even if it takes 10 hours.

I'm a Man U fan, and I remember how thrilled I was in 1999, but honestly, they were in periods outplayed.

They scored 2 late goals and won it fair enough.

Still, the feeling the losing side in 1999 had was probably the same as they had in 2005 and 2007.

It was not fair because they felt they were the better side.

I think in English it is to "nick it"? Not sure about that one.

Having said that, I'm quite sure that Liverpool has a great team soon. In that I mean a team that will be among the best in England and Europe for a long period. A few minor adjustments and right buyings, and the team is there.

I fear more for Man U's future.

all the best

Sailor

ps

totally agree.now us leeds fans are not angels by any stretch but....

these fans basically robbed there way in,at the expense of real fans with REAL tickets.although the greeks were well below standard for organisation.

alot of fans in england cannot stand liverpool fans for many reasons.

1.heysel

2.hillsborough - tradegy due to fans breaking in again without paying,thus all surging into an already full middle terracing

3.the result - now they have had a good hand in making sure english fans cannot stand in football stadiums post hillsborough,resulting in piss poor atmospheres at most stadiums.

i know full well how this has affected leeds.even with an average team we still always won at home when it was all standing.since all seating atmospher has steadily declined,turning the once feared elland road fortress,into just about a slighty intimidating ground.

thanks scousers(the minority non paying ones,for spoiling it for the atmosphere of english football)

just been watching sky news an interview with a member of the hillsborough trust,whose son died there.basically he says the fans are a discrace,pulling down a fence in athens and pouring into the stadium,creating overcrowding again.these fans have no memories.

Edited by Chiangmai Foxy

Regarding the 'bad' behaviour of Liverpool fans, we watched it in a pub in Liverpool city centre, everywhere was packed with fans. Liverpool supporters are the best behaved, most enthusiastic supporters ever!

:o that is a pile of crap, the 12th man my arse. since when have the scallies been the best behaved supporters. Been to Anfield loads of times and believe me that statement is laughable.

The fans who had real tickets were hard done by, i agree but what about the fans who bought forgies and knew that this would cause problems and they did not give a hoot, did they. So, basically it was the loonypool fans who shat on their own, wasnt it.

The Cup might have A.C. Milan's name on it, but it should be Liverpools by default. They lost in the final to a non-goal, beaten by a team that should not be in the competition in the first place. I have watched the incident on TV many times, and how a ref can give such a goal, when there was even a hint of handball about it I don't know...

I want to add to "you don't score a goal, you lose" above.

To me the difference was Inzaghi (*) and the second Milan goal. Milan had one chance on goal in the entire game, Inzaghi took it, and took it expertly - that wasn't an easy goal with Reina doing a fantastic job of trying to block him.

Gerrard was in a similar situation with only Dida in front of him, and he harmlessly shoots the ball straight at the keeper, not even very hard. And that's the difference between winning and losing.

Liverpool wouldn't have lost if either one of those chances had gone the other way. The Italian's nerves were blank and they made tons of mistakes under Liverpools pressure - Liverpool was in the driving seat all the way, and I don't think that was due to any "tactics" from Milan.

(*) PS Who else thinks Inzaghi was on drugs? He reminded me of Maradona back at a world cup long ago when it later turned out he'd been on cocaine every game. Or does he just look that way? Kinda mad? Not to take away from his fantastic goal but... I would be interested if anyone thought the same.

these fans basically robbed there way in,at the expense of real fans with REAL tickets.although the greeks were well below standard for organisation.

1.heysel

2.hillsborough - tradegy due to fans breaking in again without paying,thus all surging into an already full middle terracing

3.the result - now they have had a good hand in making sure english fans cannot stand in football stadiums post hillsborough,resulting in piss poor atmospheres at most stadiums.

i know full well how this has affected leeds.even with an average team we still always won at home when it was all standing.since all seating atmospher has steadily declined,turning the once feared elland road fortress,into just about a slighty intimidating ground.

thanks scousers(the minority non paying ones,for spoiling it for the atmosphere of english football)

just been watching sky news an interview with a member of the hillsborough trust,whose son died there.basically he says the fans are a discrace,pulling down a fence in athens and pouring into the stadium,creating overcrowding again.these fans have no memories.

Scousers, robbing , surely not :o

(*) PS Who else thinks Inzaghi was on drugs? He reminded me of Maradona back at a world cup long ago when it later turned out he'd been on cocaine every game. Or does he just look that way? Kinda mad? Not to take away from his fantastic goal but... I would be interested if anyone thought the same.

And what are you on??

The cheaters do not use Cocaine to enhance their performances.

They use a more complicated cocktail.

How do you think a player would act if he was on Cocaine?

Btw,

Maradona DID NOT use cocaine before every game back then.

He also used a cocktail of various substances, and one of them happened to be Cocaine, which was used for his own personal well being outside the games, and not as a part of enhancing his performance.

Inzaghi normally looks that way when scoring important goals.

Come to think about it, most latinos are very pasionate (drugs or no drugs) when scoring important goals.

yes, should be interesting to see who else will jump on this conspiracy theory bandwagon.

Btw,

I just received this email from a friend of mine!!

Too bad he didnt send it before the match.

I've got 3 spare tickets for Liverpools's game against AC Milan.

I got offered them, but I'm already going. The tickets are £50 each,which I would consider paying, as touts will want closer to £500.

If you're interested or know anyone who is, please let know ASAP as these tickets will go very quickly.

Attached is a plan showing the position of the seats.

Cheers,

post-4485-1180179918_thumb.jpg

And what are you on??

Btw,

He also used a cocktail of various substances, and one of them happened to be Cocaine, which was used for his own personal well being outside the games, and not as a part of enhancing his performance.

Come to think about it, most latinos are very pasionate (drugs or no drugs) when scoring important goals.

yes, should be interesting to see who else will jump on this conspiracy theory bandwagon.

I stand corrected - Maradona was banned for ephedrine at WC 1994. He was only banned for cocaine in Italy.

BTW I didn't want to start a conspiracy theory just thought that Inzaghi looked extremely intense. I guess all perfectly legal adrenaline :o

1.heysel

Scousers, robbing , surely not :D

First off can I please just remind everyone out there that not all the Lverpool fans that were in Athens or who go to a Liverpool match are scousers , in fact at Anfield we are out numbered by woolybacks , so stop using the term.

Secondly , why do most replies to this thread mention Hysell or Hillsborough ??? :o:D . I've said it before , what happened in Athens was nothing in comparrison at all , AT ALL.

So even though this thread started in good spirits its started to touch a nerve with me and I'm going to stop reading it ,otherwise I'll probably be kicked off.

1.heysel

Scousers, robbing , surely not :D

First off can I please just remind everyone out there that not all the Lverpool fans that were in Athens or who go to a Liverpool match are scousers , in fact at Anfield we are out numbered by woolybacks , so stop using the term.

Secondly , why do most replies to this thread mention Hysell or Hillsborough ??? :o:D . I've said it before , what happened in Athens was nothing in comparrison at all , AT ALL.

So even though this thread started in good spirits its started to touch a nerve with me and I'm going to stop reading it ,otherwise I'll probably be kicked off.

to finish :

Our Athens police hel_l May 24 2007

by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

BDCB3A37-EE23-62E5-34399960564C4002.jpg

LIVERPOOL fans were tear-gassed and baton charged by Greek police amid chaotic scenes at the Olympic Stadium in Athens.

Today shocked fans said the “shambolic organisation” of the Champions League final led to:

Ugly scenes and heavy-handed police tactics

Genuine ticket holders were not allowed in to see the game by Greek police

Clashes breaking out before kick off as police lost control at entry points to the ground.

Fans queuing up were told the stadium was full and they would not be allowed in but as angry supporters begged to be allowed in they were pushed back by riot police who hit out with batons.

When they refused to disperse, police fired tear gas at them, causing scores to flee the area with streaming eyes.

Reds supporter Vicky Campbell, 29, from Hunts Cross, said: “We got through the first two ticket check rings around the ground and just as I approached the turnstile, this man came out and said the stadium was full.

“I just couldn’t believe what I was hearing. There were hundreds of people in my section who had genuine tickets and were locked out.

“People got angry, there was no violence or anything, but the police came out and started firing the tear gas.

“It was dreadful - so unnecessary. There were children in the crowd and the police just didn’t give them a second thought.”

Reds fan Nick Page told the ECHO he was deeply shocked by what he had seen.

He said: “It was an absolute disgrace.

“I managed to get in but I know loads of people with tickets who were stuck outside.

“The police just started hitting out at them with batons, it was horrible.

“I can’t believe they used tear gas - there were women and kids there and all they were guilty of was wanting to see their team in the European Cup final.”

There were also claims that Liverpool supporters had attempted to rush the gates. One fence had been pulled down.

Mike Connerty, from Bootle, said he turned away from the stadium rather than trying to get in when he saw the trouble.

He said: “There’d been rumours going around all day that the gates were going to get rushed.

“I told my mates we’d have to get to the ground before then but we got held up in traffic and when we got there I saw a gang of lads pulling a fence down because the police wouldn’t let them in.

“The next thing, the police just waded in, hitting anyone who was in their way.

“It got really bad so I just walked away.”

Billy Spears, from Croxteth, said: “It was a joke. Every step of the way the Greek police slowed up the movement of fans into the stadium and this caused bottlenecks.

“I’m a big lad but I don’t mind admitting it was scary. People were panicking more and more as kick-off time approached and all of a sudden the police told us no-one else would be getting into the ground.

“Then they started pushing us back to try and clear the concourse but all of a sudden they started hitting out at us.

“I got hit once across the legs just for being there. Then they started using pepper spray because some lads at the back of the crowd had started throwing stuff.

“I can’t believe it happened, to be honest. I never got to see the game but I’m not even that bothered. I’m just stunned.”

Despite insisting they would be able to deal with the problem of an estimated 5,000 forged tickets being in circulation, the Greek force was unable to cope.

Around 120 fans were arrested for possessing forged tickets, but many, many more managed to breach security and the so-called ring of steel.

There were four ticket checks on the way into the stadium but they were breached, with genuine tickets being passed back by hand and thousands with forgeries managing to avoid the scanners.

That resulted in thousands more people being in the Liverpool end than the stands were supposed to hold.

Mike Hill, from Formby, slammed Uefa and the Greek authorities for failing to deal with the situation.

He said: “The organisation was a shambles but no one at Uefa will take any responsibility.

“The whole situation could have been avoided if they’d given Liverpool a decent ticket allocation instead of the scandalously low 17,000 they gave us.

“All that did was make fans desperate and that gave the touts and the forgers the chance to cash in.”

Philip Smart, from Fairfield, added: “We were treated like cattle.

“At every single checkpoint we were jostled by the police and people were genuinely scared.

“It is a joke that Uefa could choose a stadium which doesn’t have turnstiles for such a huge game”

Video journalist Jessica Shaughnessy - who works for the ECHO’s sister paper, the Liverpool Daily Post - got caught up in a scramble outside the ground, triggered by an announcement that the ground was full.

Jessica, whose footage of the incident can be seen at www.liverpoolecho.co.uk, said: “As fans were coming out of the Metro station, an announcement was made that the stadium was full.

“There were still a lot of Liverpool fans trying to get to the ground, with legitimate tickets.

“They started running towards the front of the pen which fans coming out of the Metro were put in until there was space closer to the ground. They were shouting ‘We have tickets’.

“The police then appeared, pushing people back with their shields.

“The crowd got angry and one fan shouted ‘Ambush, run at them’.

“Then a few of them ran towards the police, jumped over the fence, while the police on megaphones were shouting ‘Get back, get back, stay back’ and they sprayed the tear gas into the pen.”

No one from Uefa or the Greek police force responded to the ECHO’s messages requesting their response over the chaos in Athens.

I stand corrected - Maradona was banned for ephedrine at WC 1994. He was only banned for cocaine in Italy.

BTW I didn't want to start a conspiracy theory just thought that Inzaghi looked extremely intense. I guess all perfectly legal adrenaline :o

No problem Mate.

:D

It suddenly reminded me about the striker that Man Utd had a few seasons ago, that they got from Uruguay I think. Not sure about the country.

He plays for Villareal now.

He was his country's top scorer.

He probably played 20 matches before he managed to score his first goal for Man Utd.

I do not think I have ever seen such madness on the pitch. He acted like he had scored the winning goal for his country in the world cup. Running all around the pitch. Off with the shirt. All the other players also got totally crazy, celebrating with him.

It was amazing to watch it.

Back to the subject.

Watching the Liverpool match the other night.

When Liverpool got their goal, I was very surprised to witness that it seemed like many of the players thought it was too late anyway. Same with many of their fans.

I think it has been proven so many times that a goal can come any time, so I expected a total storm and besiege of the Milan box.

But it didnt happen at all.

It really looked like many of the players were already defeted.

What you think?

Its not always the side who 'plays the best football' who wins -- but tell you what the side who scores the most goals generally deserve to be champs...... so well done Milan.

Handball - dont be daft.......

And what are you on??

Btw,

Ever think perhaps he's been hanging about with Gattuso too much -- you will struggle to find a more 'intense' player anywhere in the world....... (though he was subdued the other night)......

Pretty sad that people try to take away the cup from a side who won on merit.......

that was no hand ball and liverpools goal was offside better team won get over it, no excuses for united against chelsea we had bad decisions yes but at the end of the day chelsea got the goal that counted.

scousers always hard done by lol minutes silence in order.

i agree with my fellow red liverpool fans are the scum of the earth always pcking off away fans on there own i got slashed there in 78 so my hatred of the so called greatest fans in the world.

Ever think perhaps he's been hanging about with Gattuso too much -- you will struggle to find a more 'intense' player anywhere in the world....... (though he was subdued the other night)......

Pretty sad that people try to take away the cup from a side who won on merit.......

Agree,

did you see Gattuso during and after the 2nd leg against Man U?

Now there we talk about adrenaline pumping.

lol

that gattuso is one great player i love his attitude would love to see him at united, i dont think hargraves is in the same class as this guy.

that gattuso is one great player i love his attitude would love to see him at united, i dont think hargraves is in the same class as this guy.

Totally agree.

Kind of the Scholes type.

Hard tackler. Sometimes too hard.

Pops up everywhere on the pitch.

Can give brilliant passes. And shoot hard as well.

But he will never ever be sold. And if he was. Hopefully not to Liverpool.

;-)

Well theres nothing like a football fan with his biased view towards his team...a great cure for insomnia...I must have been watching a different game, Liverpool were not the better team, and apart from their late goal, never looked like scoring...and even if Milan hadnt have been allowed to enter the competition, then Man Utd would possibly have progressed and given Liverpool another sound thrashing in the final..they are without a doubt, a better team on current form.

s for the post about Liverpool fans being so well behaved, I cant agree with that statement either, I was at Hillsboro and also other games involving Liverpool, and whilst I accept its only a minority of fans, there is always trouble caused by LFC fans...nyway, can I ask the poster which part of the country is he from...bet its not Liverpool