Thailand Exports Only 2.2 Million Tons of Rice in First Six Months of this Year

snoop1130

d59806feb9fddf250dc13fe7bc01a21b_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Thai Rice Exporters Association reports that Thailand managed to export only 2.2 million tons of rice in the first half of the year, down 21.03% by volume from the same period last year.

Association president Charoen Laothammatas said the value of rice exports, from January 1 to June 23, was $1.382 billion, down 28.14% year on year, and the situation is not good for Thai rice exports.

He said Thailand’s rice exports are currently below the target and the country must export an average of 500,000 tons per month in order to export 6 million tons of rice during the year.

According to Mr. Charoen, Thai rice was more expensive than the competition due to the baht’s appreciation and the drought. Thai rice exports have declined continuously in many markets, as can be seen from export figures, even to neighboring countries such as Malaysia.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Commerce has joined the Thai Rice Exporters Association in pushing three main Thai rice exports – jasmine, white and glutinous rice. At the same time, the ministry will accelerate the government-to-government (G2G) rice trading market.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2021-07-06

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Baht appreciation—dead right.  Getting better, but still has a long way to go.

CP needed a strong baht to buy Tesco Lotus. You will know when CP goes on another international shopping spree when the baht strengthens back to the 29ish to the US dollar range.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, soalbundy said:

but the price offered to the farmers to buy the rice is disgustingly low. My wife gets three times that selling it herself at markets and recently made a private deal to sell jasmine rice to Laos through an agent at a good price, we had a good experience with him last year, money in the bank before the rice was delivered.

I heard the price was hurting the thai rice farmers, they were encoraged to borrow money from the government expecting a price pf B12 per kilo but the harvest gets B7. many farmers are in despair at the moment.

1 hour ago, piewarmer said:

I heard the price was hurting the thai rice farmers, they were encoraged to borrow money from the government expecting a price pf B12 per kilo but the harvest gets B7. many farmers are in despair at the moment.

Some were offered 6 Baht in my village, that covers just the production costs, it's a wonder anybody bothers to plant rice now, it's obvious why people head for Bangkok to work if they can. Each time I have been to Bangkok and used a taxi the drivers had all been from Isan, one time in conversation with a driver it turned out he was a distant relative of my missus and knew her father well, they all left because of bank debt due to farming and they were all homesick.

• Thanks 1